Steven Lopez Olympic athlete

I would have made the same mistake if I didn't have a complete list of over the counter meds that are not acceptable. It didn't sound like he did know a vapor inhaler could have L-methamphetamine. A honest mistake, probably. I doubt he would endanger his future in TKD knowingly. TW

Sounds like another case of the anti-doping rules being taken to extremes. It obviously wasn't an intentional violation.

For my own curiosity, just how much L-methamphetamine can someone get from a vapor inhaler anyways? Enough to enhance their athletic performance?

YEa I believe it was a mistake and the rules are in plain view what is consider illegal, I hope this will show the younger generation to be careful of over the counter medicine and to follow all the rules by the committee.
terry

I agree with Zepp. If you can buy it over the counter, I don't think it should be a violation. I am sure it was unintentional, but with the capability of measuring minute trace amounts of anything in the body, it seems there should be some common-sense. If you have to use an inhaler or take cold medicine, it should not be a violation.

Mr. Lopez admitted responsibility for his mistake though. In my book he is still a super example for our young people. He accepted the punishment and will likely be back stronger than ever after the suspension.

Miles

Zepp said:
For my own curiosity, just how much L-methamphetamine can someone get from a vapor inhaler anyways? Enough to enhance their athletic performance?

Apparently not in this case, no. This is an extreme case, but it may be beneficial in the long run. A lesser competitor may have gotten away with it, but high profile athletes can just as quickly set a bad example as a good one. To let him go may have sent a very bad message. If they'll gun for Steven, they'll gun for you. Don't do it!

It won't hurt him in the long run and I agree he's still a great example to follow.

Miles said:
If you can buy it over the counter, I don't think it should be a violation.

Well, I don't know if I agree with that entirely. I understand why testosterone-building supplements like androstenedione aren't legal in sports. And I believe they should regulate stimulant use in competition. It just seems overkill to me that they react so harshly towards stimulant use that obviously wasn't taken for performance-enhancing reasons.

(And the ban on Sudafed in the Winter Olympics is just cruel.)

Latest Discussions

Back