Steven Lopez lost to Iran's Yousef Karami in Baku

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you like to see Karami -Lopez fight, then use the link and set time for 9:30! I think it will work next 12 hours.

/Markku P

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm disappointed for Steven, not shocked because Karami is a great fighter himself. Steven will no doubt qualify the US spot at the Pan Am Qualifier. He'll just have to go thru another US Trials. Really surprised because Steven had a 4-0 lead which Steven is a master at managing the clock & shutting down his opponents. I liked that he was throwing back kicks & even a spin hook kick. Thought he would cut more then pop-up kicks to the face. He reminds me of Bjorn Borg from tennis because he is just always calm in the heat of battle.

The travesty was Terrence Jennings fight against Turkey with the center ref counting him out & not counting in TJ's line-of-sight. It was a low back kick.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Markku.

There's no denying Steven Lopez is talented, but the amount of leg blocking he does (and generally gets away with) is sickening! A player of his talent and history shouldn't need to cheat (and I know the "Steven Lopez Rule" is only recent - but blocking with the leg is unsportsmanlike in WTF Taekwondo).

Oh well, I'm sure he'll qualify at the Pan-American Qualification Tournament...

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score

..or might not qualify. Level of the fighters is so high and any there is so many good fighters right now. In Baku many "big names" has lost their fights before semi-finals.:)

/Markku P.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The travesty was Terrence Jennings fight against Turkey with the center ref counting him out & not counting in TJ's line-of-sight. It was a low back kick.

I couldn't really see what happened. Terrence Jennings started well but Servet Tazegu is really tought to beat! He is just unbelieve fighter.

/Markku P

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Markku. I look forward to your upcoming blog on the new uniforms and colours.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm disappointed for Steven, not shocked because Karami is a great fighter himself. Steven will no doubt qualify the US spot at the Pan Am Qualifier. He'll just have to go thru another US Trials. Really surprised because Steven had a 4-0 lead which Steven is a master at managing the clock & shutting down his opponents. I liked that he was throwing back kicks & even a spin hook kick. Thought he would cut more then pop-up kicks to the face. He reminds me of Bjorn Borg from tennis because he is just always calm in the heat of battle.

I understand it was the 4 kyongos for blocking with the leg and going out of bounds that killed it.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't really see what happened. Terrence Jennings started well but Servet Tazegu is really tought to beat! He is just unbelieve fighter.

/Markku P

I had very hard time following what was going on in that fight, especially with no commentary. They called it a technical knock out but Jennings didn't appear to be seriously hurt. Does anyone know what really happened?

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had very hard time following what was going on in that fight, especially with no commentary. They called it a technical knock out but Jennings didn't appear to be seriously hurt. Does anyone know what really happened?

According to friends in Azerbijan. TJ got a head kick, no score. Juan protested and head kick was granted. 8-8. Turkey backkicked, TJ went down in pain. He was grabbing his hip and probably thinking it was too low to score. The center referee started counting but was to his back and not to his face as required. By the time he realized and got his hands up he had been counted out. Video replay stood by the center's decision.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just use dartfish for the fights, better quality. Jennings got kicked in the groin and then got counted out. was 8-8 up until that point.

Lopez got caught with on head kick then the Lopez defense cost him the match. He got to many Kungo's and lost by 1. He should have had more but the ref did not call all of his knee lifts to block the kicks. Got to stop using the knee to block.

Here is the dartfish link to all the fights.
http://www.dartfish.tv/ChannelHome.aspx?CR=p1

To create an account is free. Don't think you need an account though to watch.

Jenning's fight - http://dartfish.tv/Presenter.aspx?CR=p1c28093m609786#!AQECAAEBAAEBAQAAAAEBD3AxYzI4MDkzbTYwOTc4NgAAAA%3d%3d

Lopez's fight - http://dartfish.tv/Presenter.aspx?C...CAAEBAAEBAQAAAAEBD3AxYzI4MDkzbTYxMjE2MQAAAA==

Enjoy.

Last edited:

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Markku.

There's no denying Steven Lopez is talented, but the amount of leg blocking he does (and generally gets away with) is sickening! A player of his talent and history shouldn't need to cheat (and I know the "Steven Lopez Rule" is only recent - but blocking with the leg is unsportsmanlike in WTF Taekwondo).

Totally agree with you this one - he always seems to get away with his leg blocks like it was the 1980s :-/

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whether I like the result for either fighter or not, it sure is nice to discuss matches again without EBPs and electronic scoring being the focus!

poph0ly

White Belt
Reaction score
karamilopez.jpg.w300h281.jpg

lopezkisseskarami.jpg

pic tag: lopez kisses karami

Thanks for news.
As an Iranian fighter , I'm very glad to hear the result.
Steve had defeated Hadi Saei (The Great Champion) before.
Yousef Karami is the first Iranian fighter that defeat Steven Lopez!

Cheers.

Last edited:
OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Markku. I look forward to your upcoming blog on the new uniforms and colours.

I will write very soon! I have right now summer vacation so I haven't been able to write.
( actually I have been just lazy )

/Markku P.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Today Diana Lopez lost to Chinese Taipei. Do not know the scores but I think she won 2 previous fights.

So no Olympic spots for USA yet, Spain also didn't get but Sweden got one place!

/Markku P.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My mistake.. Diana Lopez Won her first fight against AUS and then lost for Chinese Taipei.

/Markku

Latest Discussions