Staying with it--Taekwondo as you age

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have two state associations? One USAT and one MAC? Which one did the training session?

You are correct-they are both recognized by USAT but one is a MAC-organization. The non-MAC organization offered that training-Michigan Sport Taekwondo, Inc.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Staying active and fit slows aging. I can't kick as high as I did 20 years ago - but I'm a lot more accurate!

Any time I think about using age as an excuse, I look at a friend of mine - he started TKD at 50, he's 73, and has 7 fused discs in his back... that takes care of all of my excuses.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm 44 (started TKD right before I turned 40) and I have come to realize I have to supplement my training with other (cardio and strength training) stuff to keep up my fitness/endurance level. Also take Triflex sport from GNC, it's a "super" glucosamine condroitin supplement - without it my knees kill me! I'm also coming to realize that
I have to eat more healthy and lose some weight.
Like you, I don't plan to ever quit TKD!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Staying active and fit slows aging. I can't kick as high as I did 20 years ago - but I'm a lot more accurate!

My instructor is 62 and isn't as fast as he was in his 30's when I started training with him, but he is still fast and he is still able to get blinding speed on many techniques. If anything, he is more powerful now than he was back in the day. The amount of power he gets from being able to mobilize his mass is amazing. He also has the annoying ability to be able to control the distance when sparring so that he can literally just be right at the edge of your range so you're unable to hit him with anything and then move in a clobber you. He can also read body language so well that he can tell what kind of techniques you're getting ready to throw (this is something that is an often overlooked benefit of step-sparring, IMNSHO) which means he's already getting ready to defend against the technique as soon as he sees you move.

These are all abilities of his that I've seen develop over the past twenty five years. He had them all when I started training but they've simply increased over time. In some ways he's a better fighter now than he was then. Consistent smart training is the key. If you get injured take an adequate amount of time to rest up before returning to training. Keep yourself well hydrated when training. Remember that Taekwon-Do techniques, when done correctly, shouldn't hurt. If you're hyper-extending your joints you're doing it wrong!

Pax,

Chris

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor is 62 and isn't as fast as he was in his 30's when I started training with him, but he is still fast and he is still able to get blinding speed on many techniques. If anything, he is more powerful now than he was back in the day. The amount of power he gets from being able to mobilize his mass is amazing. He also has the annoying ability to be able to control the distance when sparring so that he can literally just be right at the edge of your range so you're unable to hit him with anything and then move in a clobber you. He can also read body language so well that he can tell what kind of techniques you're getting ready to throw (this is something that is an often overlooked benefit of step-sparring, IMNSHO) which means he's already getting ready to defend against the technique as soon as he sees you move.

These are all abilities of his that I've seen develop over the past twenty five years. He had them all when I started training but they've simply increased over time. In some ways he's a better fighter now than he was then. Consistent smart training is the key. If you get injured take an adequate amount of time to rest up before returning to training. Keep yourself well hydrated when training. Remember that Taekwon-Do techniques, when done correctly, shouldn't hurt. If you're hyper-extending your joints you're doing it wrong!

Pax,

Chris

Sounds like my instructor too - over the past 24 years, I've seen him get more and more accurate, and increase his power and focus - not through increased strength, but through increased understanding and experience.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Turning 48 this month, I'd like to continue with Taekwondo until I'm dead...so at least another 40 years. However I frequently hear that Taekwondo is for the young and is a martial art that requires more athleticism than most. It's already uncommon for me to have sparring opponents at tournaments who are older than me.
What do you find are the keys to maintaining your body, mind and spirt so you can be an active senior artist?
TKD is for the young. It also requires athleticism. But it is also for the old & everyone in between. All who participate will also increase their athleticism, so don't worry.
As to advice, all I can add is general suggestions, one should always be under a doctor's care, one should listen to their own body, work it out & let it rest. Dig into the written manuals that guide your style of TKD & if you can't find many to spar at tournaments with, help coach & cheer on the other students from your school & make new TKD friends at the tournaments. often you will see the same faces at the ones in your area or region. With new friends, you can expand your training circle, TKD family & experiences, which will all add to your mind & spirit, as well as the body.
Good luck!

Latest Discussions