Taekwondo Wiki

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of the Taekwondo Wiki ( Taekwondo Wiki ) in that "What did old taekwondo look like...?" thread, I thought I'd provide some background for anybody here who's interested in the wiki:

Ancient History

The Taekwondo Wiki was started in I believe 2009? by some ITF-stylers, long before I had resumed practicing taekwondo. I'm not positive which user started the wiki, but some of the earliest users had handles such as JDStew, Leona RebelSpark, and TKDgirl. I know because I can see their names on the Admin page.

When I came across the wiki in 2013, there were only a couple dozen articles, and most of those were only a few sentences long. It saw almost no traffic. Nobody had added any new information in about three years...it lay fallow, dormant, and forgotten.

Meanwhile, in 2013 my young son and I started studying Kukkiwon-style taekwondo, so of course I Googled for some good study notes, especially looking for poomsae diagrams that even a child could understand. Finding none, I developed my own. (I'm not as smart as a philosophy undergrad of course, but I do have a Ph.D. in mathematics, I used to be a college professor, and so it is second nature to me to be a note-taker.)

The other parents at our school saw my notes, liked them, and wanted copies for themselves. So I started a Wordpress blog ( Poomsae.me Taekwondo with little blue robots at http poomsae.me ) as a place to make my notes available. After a while, I realized I needed a more robust system because my notes were becoming too extensive for a blog.

At first I tried contributing to the Black Belt Wiki (which is excellent!) but there were two problems: (1) It uses WikiDot markup, and I'm a MediaWiki man, having previously implemented a corporate-wide wiki at a very large corporation, and having previously contributed to Wikipedia (I'm particularly please with my contributions to the Wikipedia article on the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus). (2) Black Belt Wiki is not taekwondo-specific, so for example the page on the roundhouse kick describes every style of roundhouse, not just the taekwondo styles. That having been said, I have exchanged emails with a fellow named Will who runs that website (as well as the taekwondoanimals.com website) and I think he does excellent, excellent work. My only point there is that the two wikis are aware of each other and have communicated with one another (we're not provincial).

The Wiki Now

That's when I decided to adopt the Taekwondo Wiki. I asked the Wikia folks to make me the Admin (which they did since the wiki had been dormant for so long), I moved all my study notes to the wiki, and then I started researching in earnest in order to try to flesh it out. It helped that I had recently sprained my right ankle badly while attempting an ill-conceived back-hook kick, so I had a few months of no-taekwondo-evenings in which to play on the Web. At the same time, I finished writing the Poomsae Designer software so that I was finally able to draw poomsae diagrams that even my young son could understand. (If I were a better software developer, the diagrams would be even better, but I'm not, so they aren't. I'm not Andy Jeffries!)

Speaking of Andy, the poor soul made the mistake of performing some good edits on the wiki a while back, so I punished him by promoting him to an admin of the wiki too, though I don't believe he checks it as often as I do. I check it every morning to see if anybody has added anything egregious, but thankfully that rarely happens. Right now, Andy and I are the only admins.

As previously mentioned:
  • The wiki sees about 800 page-views per day on average, sometimes as low as 500 (especially on Saturdays), sometimes as high as 1,200 per day (especially in the middle of the week).

• Ironically, even though most of the ITF-type articles are rough, those are the articles that see the most traffic. The Admin toolbox on the wiki doesn't tell me how many page-views each page gets, but it does tell me which pages are receiving the most traffic, and ironically it's almost always pages related to Chang Hon style. And that with the Encyclopedia PDF being freely downloadable!!! Go figure?

• It is a wiki, of course, so literally anybody can add to it. The original authors of the wiki wanted it to be style-agnostic, which I think is a really nice idea, so I've tried to perpetuate that philosophy. "It's all taekwondo to me." I also try to be an even-handed editor: I don't edit anything that other people write unless it's demonstrably false or unclear.
Ironically, all of this was happening while a truly lovely person named Jackie (who I have also exchanged emails with) implemented the excellent Taekwondo Preschool website ( Taekwondo Preschool The Learning Guide to the Art of Taekwondo ). I say ironic because if Taekwondo Preschool had existed when I first did my Google search a couple years ago, I probably wouldn't have bothered making my own notes, and the wiki would still be fallow!

Why a Wiki

Personally, I think wikis are the perfect venue for documenting martial arts:
  • First of all Wikipedia doesn't allow "how-to" information, so most of the information on Taekwondo Wiki and Black Belt Wiki wouldn't be permitted.

• Secondly, Wikipedia wants good sources for all the information on it, and for martial arts, so much of the information is handed-down from generation to generation by word-of-mouth, so I'm not sure you'd ever get Wikipedia-level attribution for everything one wants to say about any martial art.

• And thirdly, somebody like Earl Weiss (as just one example) might not be "famous enough" to have a bio on Wikipedia, but he'd certainly be famous enough for the Taekwondo Wiki, so having a wiki provides a place to add information like biographies of pioneers, other taekwondo celebrities, or really just anything that's noteworthy among practitioners but not noteworthy enough for Wikipedia.

The Banner

The wiki's banner is my attempt at illustrating its style-agnostic nature. I'm not much an artist, but it's what I was able to do. The yellow kick is intended to represent both "tae-" and Kukkiwon/WTF-style, since those logos tend to look like stylized kicks. The reddish fist is intended to represent both "-kwon-" and ITF/Chang Hon-style, since those logos tend to look like punching fists, and the white partial-taegeuk is intended to represent the "-do." The color scheme is intended to reflect the colors of the tri-taegeuk, while being a little more muted so that they're easier on the eyes.

What's Next

I noticed recently that some folks are trying to make a Spanish-language version of the wiki. I throw some material that way when I can, but my Spanish is rusty. They don't seem to be that active anyway, which is a shame, because I'd love to see versions in other languages. ( Taekwondo Wiki )

There you have it! That's the history of the Taekwondo Wiki in a nutshell.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Looks like a great project. I have a question about credibility and your sources. I looked at a couple of your wiki pages, and see that you have some references, but are most often referencing other wiki pages from your own library. Do you have any concerns about credibility and documenting independently verifiable sources? And if you're doing this, and I just didn't see it, great. I sampled just a couple of the pages, as I don't really know the first thing about TKD. :)

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a question about credibility and your sources...

What I've started doing is putting in a "See Also" section when there's a relevant wiki page that people might want to read, but then I add a different section called "References" where I link to external pages with related material.

The bulk of the References come from this list:

Taekwondo Reference Websites - Taekwondo Wiki

When somebody on Martial Talk says something informative, I'll often add that to the relevant pages as well. As a recent example, when Earl Weiss mentioned the other day that Sine Wave used to be referred to as Spring Style, I added that tidbit of information to the Sine Wave page on the wiki.

That's actually why I started following these forums in the first place: to capture whatever folklore I could that isn't documented elsewhere.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe that's as good as it gets for now. Are there any books published? I get the Kukkiwon site you reference is considered a factual source.

Don't get me wrong. What I've seen is impressive and I think it's a cool project. I'm just curious about how you're approaching this one area of it. Particularly as you're still relatively new to the style. It's a dilemma. :)

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe that's as good as it gets for now. Are there any books published? I get the Kukkiwon site you reference is considered a factual source.

Don't get me wrong. What I've seen is impressive and I think it's a cool project. I'm just curious about how you're approaching this one area of it. Particularly as you're still relatively new to the style. It's a dilemma. :)

Am I referencing books on the wiki you mean? In places, yes. Obviously the Encyclopedia gets referenced at the bottom of each Chang Hon form's page. For the Kukkiwon-style diagrams and descriptions, I based those on the book "Complete Taekwondo Poomsae" by Kyu Hyung Lee and Sang H. Kim. I made less use of the Kukkiwon's Taekwondo Textbook, though I have a copy. My Kindle library has a couple dozen taekwondo books that I've read, though not all of them turned out to be terribly useful for the wiki. Honestly, I often tended to find better stuff on the Web.

The more difficult question will be how to handle it when someday two competing authors get into an edit war over some article. Come to think of it, if I'm unable to resolve that kind of situation using authoritative sources, I'll probably post the dilemma on Martial Talk and see what people think. I mean, even Wikipedia has that problem, so it's not like that's unique to taekwondo.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of Andy, the poor soul made the mistake of performing some good edits on the wiki a while back, so I punished him by promoting him to an admin of the wiki too, though I don't believe he checks it as often as I do. I check it every morning to see if anybody has added anything egregious, but thankfully that rarely happens. Right now, Andy and I are the only admins.

Thanks for the nudge, will try to remember to have a run through more often ;-)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is truly a labour of love! I really admire what you've done. :)

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tez! I've been lucky to have some good contributions made from other people on the interwebs too. I'd rate the wiki as "not too shabby" right now, but of course that's the terrific thing about wikis...even if I got hit by a bus today, new waves of contributors could just keep improving it tomorrow.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Are there any books published? :)

I would reccomend:
"A Killing Art"
He Young Kim's Book
General Choi's Bio.

Dakin Burdick has widely quoted stuff out there. Read it a long time ago and felt it was written by someone who viewed things thru a KKW Lens.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
  • "A Killing Art" - I've read this one. I'm looking forward to the new edition (when it eventually comes out).
  • He Young Kim's Book - His "Self Defense TaeKwondo" book? I haven't read this one yet.
  • General Choi's Bio - I haven't read this one yet.
  • Dakin Burdick has widely quoted stuff out there - Googling on this took me to "Taekwondo Studies: Advanced Theory and Practice" ...I've just this minute added this to my Kindle.
I get the impression that a lot of people are familiar with A Modern History of Taekwondo but I don't see people reference this short reference as much The Evolution of Taekwondo from Japanese Karate and to me at least it seems quite good.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a karateka I'd find the one on the evolution from karate interesting. I shall read!

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting trivia fact for us Yanks:

Lately on a normal day the taekwondo wiki sees about 1,200 page-views per day; 90% of the traffic appears to be from the U.S.

On Thanksgiving day the wiki saw about 900 page-views.

The traffic went down by only about 25%....ON THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!! WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE STUDYING TAEKWONDO ON THANKSGIVING!?!?!

(By the way, I reckon 1,200 page-views per day puts me on a path to seeing about One Million page-views every two-and-a-quarter years...which boggles my mind. Interestingly, more of the traffic is still ITF-related, less of it is Kukkiwon/WTF-related.)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just started reading The Wikipedia Revolution by Andrew Lih (2009) this weekend. It's about the history and growth of all things Wiki.
Fascinating read. Then I see this thread for the first time. Fascinating.

You go, TrueJim, you go.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those of us that live in the other 195 countries in the world that don't celebrate that US-specific holiday on that day?

I thought about that, but I think the bulk of my traffic is from the U.S. (It's hard to be positive...wikia doesn't provide many useful statistics about traffic.) Not all of it U.S. certainly, but the majority of it I think.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...okay, so now that I actually have a few free moments, I'll elaborate on the U.S. thing...

The wikia website doesn't provide me with any country statistics, but my blog (poomsae.me) is a Wordpress blog so it does provide country statistics. Before I was putting my study notes on the wiki, I was putting them on my blog, so the content is somewhat similar. So I'm assuming that the traffic-by-country might be roughly the same? Here's the traffic-by-country for the blog for the year 2015...I'm guessing the wikia traffic probably has a similar profile (though of course much-much higher rate of traffic):

From_Clipboard.png

Latest Discussions