Staying with it--Taekwondo as you age

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was on a long flight and my friend next to me was reading a book, I think it was called Born to Run. The hypothesis of the book was that man was made to walk barefoot, that the foot is a complex body part made up of many different bones which allows us to travel better barefoot. The book I believe says that the invention or popularization of running shoes led to a great increase in running, but also it led to a great increase in injuries because shoes takes away the natural function of the foot by making it one piece so to speak, rather than a multi piece walking implement. Or something like that.

My fellow Kenyans have known about the shoe thing forever, not by choice but mainly due to economics. Every year or so an unkown Kenyan youth emerges from the villages and wins a trial for a big middle and long distance races barefoot.

Speaking of age and training why is no one talking about surface of training. The worse surface for anybody over 25 is a carpet floor laid on concrete. Taekwondo mats laid on bare concret are also not very good for your knees and back joints in the long run. I've found that for me, a return to training on floating wooden floor (barefoot) is the best cure for minor knee issues I've had for years.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wearing socks without shoes while training is an accident waiting to happen. And by that I mean lawsuit. At least the one guy quit when he fell. Someone's going to fall, hit their head and sue.

If they're worried about athletes foot they should invest in some kicking shoes. That way they get to wear their socks and not slide, fall and hurt themselves.

Pax,

Chris
Couldn't have said it better. Which is worse a concussion and potential brain damage or athletes foot? Who runs the dojang? Parents?

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
My fellow Kenyans have known about the shoe thing forever, not by choice but mainly due to economics. Every year or so an unkown Kenyan youth emerges from the villages and wins a trial for a big middle and long distance races barefoot.
Well this is an eye opener. Thank you for sharing this, as it helps reminds me of how lucky I am.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better. Which is worse a concussion and potential brain damage or athletes foot? Who runs the dojang? Parents?

The Y, actually. I just give a couple hours a week in exchange for a membership. Changes are an uphill battle with the other instructors, especially since one of them is a proponent of wearing socks. Helps slide across the floor easier. All the other instructors are still pissed over a fight about sparring gear we had. The last head instructor was a great MA and a good friend, we came up together, but he let some things happen that I disagree with. I was gone though. All of the other instructors teaching with me were trained by him. He was allowing multi colored uniforms, wearing socks, kids sparring without head protection... and I can not get them to see some of the things that need to be fixed. I also can't be there every night, so I can't pissed them all off to the point they quit.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Y, actually. I just give a couple hours a week in exchange for a membership. Changes are an uphill battle with the other instructors, especially since one of them is a proponent of wearing socks. Helps slide across the floor easier. All the other instructors are still pissed over a fight about sparring gear we had. The last head instructor was a great MA and a good friend, we came up together, but he let some things happen that I disagree with. I was gone though. All of the other instructors teaching with me were trained by him. He was allowing multi colored uniforms, wearing socks, kids sparring without head protection... and I can not get them to see some of the things that need to be fixed. I also can't be there every night, so I can't pissed them all off to the point they quit.

You might want to consider having the YMCA you teach at explain to people the dangers of a potential lawsuit if someone gets hurt. That way any anger isn't directed towards you and the students actually stop engaging in potentially dangerous behavior.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I believe that was mentioned in the book too that Kenyans or Africans run long distances without any ankle, knee, hip or back pain. They also mentioned your other point, that concrete is another cause of joint pain and injury.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

If I were you I would leave the situation and open up my own school. What you have going doesn't sound like a productive situation to me.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that was mentioned in the book too that Kenyans or Africans run long distances without any ankle, knee, hip or back pain. They also mentioned your other point, that concrete is another cause of joint pain and injury.

Abebe Bikila, the great Ethiopian runner, stunned the world when he ran barefoot and shattered the Marathon record at the 1960 Rome Olympics. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1829863,00.html

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another thing to think about is that joint and muscle pain can also be attributed to what your weight is.

If you are overweight this can cause a large amount of additional pressure as your muscles and joints have a higher load to manage and support.

Just an example, when I was about 15kg overweight I would get sever shin splints whenever I ran. Now there were several contributing factors to this;

Muscle strength
Stamina
Flexibility
Shock Absorbtion - footwear not good quality to take constant impact that running has on the legs and lower back.
Weight

Once I shed about 10kg the pain stopped as my weight was at a load the muscles could accommodate. However I do feel that due to this excess weight and running around this has also impacted on my knees.

I personally believe that training on shock absorbtion mats would be better in the long term, due to the impact landing and falling would have on your body, however I guess another thing to consider is it would also depend on how well your body is conditioned to what you are doing.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were you I would leave the situation and open up my own school. What you have going doesn't sound like a productive situation to me.

Various things make this impossible.

Overall it is productive and the students gain quality instruction.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eye opener? Are you serious?
Well of course I am aware of the different levels of economic scale that there is around the world. Poverty to me is something that we must eradicate. I am perplexed in how that is best done & do realize that it will differ from 1 situation to another.
I was always struck by the saying that goes like this: I complained that I had no shoes, till I met a man with no feet.
Reading your post on this forum struck me in a way that helped me reflect about how fortunate that I am & that how many are not in a position that I am. That's all & what I was trying to relay.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Turning 48 this month, I'd like to continue with Taekwondo until I'm dead...so at least another 40 years. However I frequently hear that Taekwondo is for the young and is a martial art that requires more athleticism than most. It's already uncommon for me to have sparring opponents at tournaments who are older than me.

What do you find are the keys to maintaining your body, mind and spirt so you can be an active senior artist?

It was nice training with you Saturday Carl! As one of the older folks at that state-wide training session, I thought you provided a great example. And I am sure it keeps your son on his toes knowing Dad is right there.

I think training consistently and intelligently can help one stay in TKD. I also think it is fun and educational training with other folks outside of your own dojang. I never fail to learn some new stretch or strengthening exercise from MSUTKD.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I enjoyed finally training with you as well. I couldn't help but learn from MSUTKD and look forward to training with him, Master Cooley, and Master Turgeon on the 29th in Indianapolis.

At an open state practice like that, I enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people and share ideas, including the reminder that my ear doesn't like blocking hook kicks.

I come back to the idea that it's vital to stay young-at-heart: to be willing to take risks and make mistakes in order to learn, to fearlessly seek instruction and feedback and to meet new people to learn from. This is one situation where I have much to learn from the 5-6 year olds, though my attention span is thankfully longer than theirs.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What do you find are the keys to maintaining your body, mind and spirt so you can be an active senior artist?
I just turned 62. There are days when I wake up and feel 32, there are days when I wake up and feel 92.

You simply have to focus. On the "32" days, don't let your hyperactive brain write a check your body can't cash. On the "92" days, work through it; persevere and overcome. Understand your limits, monitor and adjust. I can't do a side kick much above belt high any more, but that doesn't stop me from trying to do the best side kick I can.

And the main thing is to have fun. Yeah, it hurts...but it hurts SO GOOD! :lol:

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who organizes it? Your state association?

Yes, one of the two state associations in MI organized the training which featured a Poomsae workout with USA Team member R. Southwick and a Sparring workout with successful competitor/coaches R. Gale and P. Rose.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, one of the two state associations in MI organized the training which featured a Poomsae workout with USA Team member R. Southwick and a Sparring workout with successful competitor/coaches R. Gale and P. Rose.

You have two state associations? One USAT and one MAC? Which one did the training session?

Latest Discussions