Stay to Play violation Ted Stevens Act???

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/amateur-sports-olympics/11651059-1.html

The Ted Stevens Act protects the Athletes Right to compete. The 2010 Sr Nationals is part of the Pan Am Games/Olympic selection procedure falls under this Act. If the "Stay to Play" rule is enforced the USAT could be in Violation of US Law. If it is not a direct violation it is surely a violation of the Spirit of the Law.

The USOC implemented these requirements in Section 9 of its bylaws.7 Section 9 expressly states that no member of the USOC may deny or threaten to deny any athlete the opportunity to participate in the Olympics or the other specified competitions.8 It also requires the USOC to protect "by all reasonable" means the opportunity to participate if selected (or to attempt to qualify). 9

By not allowing someone to compete in a Pan Am/Olympic Qualification event because they did not stay in a Hotel room would appear to me a violation of these rules. The USAT is the NGB for TKD in the USA and thus a member of the USOC obligated to follow their rules and guidelines.

I would suggest that they withdraw this policy quickly.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well lets see what happens next, I mean they believe they can do whatever they like and so far they have. I must admit this is a great find and thanks.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well lets see what happens next, I mean they believe they can do whatever they like and so far they have. I must admit this is a great find and thanks.

I can't believe David Askinas does not know the Stevens Act. He is a "Lawyer" and should know better. He may think that he can defend this legally but from a business perspective this is very hard to defend. They will lose more members over this than they will get in rebates from hotels. It will be a loss of reputation amongst its membership and the TKD community. This is a very bad decision all around and one that any good business man would never make.

People are very angry over this and the USAT will receive a tidal wave of complaints.

If you are not trying to qualify for the Olympics in 2012 go to the AAU they will welcome you with open arms.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/amateur-sports-olympics/11651059-1.html

The Ted Stevens Act protects the Athletes Right to compete. The 2010 Sr Nationals is part of the Pan Am Games/Olympic selection procedure falls under this Act. If the "Stay to Play" rule is enforced the USAT could be in Violation of US Law. If it is not a direct violation it is surely a violation of the Spirit of the Law.

The USOC implemented these requirements in Section 9 of its bylaws.7 Section 9 expressly states that no member of the USOC may deny or threaten to deny any athlete the opportunity to participate in the Olympics or the other specified competitions.8 It also requires the USOC to protect "by all reasonable" means the opportunity to participate if selected (or to attempt to qualify). 9

By not allowing someone to compete in a Pan Am/Olympic Qualification event because they did not stay in a Hotel room would appear to me a violation of these rules. The USAT is the NGB for TKD in the USA and thus a member of the USOC obligated to follow their rules and guidelines.

I would suggest that they withdraw this policy quickly.
Great find Gorilla. Now let's hope this act covers what they are attempting to do.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, Right to Compete does not apply to anyone but those going for the teams. I am sure david has some argument as to why it doesn't apply. You can call John Ruger the Athlete Ombudsman for the USOC - his number is either 888-Athlete or 800-Athlete. He can give advice on it.

It was suggested to me that rather than trying to get this reversed, let David shoot himself in the foot and at some point the BOD has to hold him accountable. At the same time, this is an election year. All those who support it - vote against them.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sadly, Right to Compete does not apply to anyone but those going for the teams. I am sure david has some argument as to why it doesn't apply. You can call John Ruger the Athlete Ombudsman for the USOC - his number is either 888-Athlete or 800-Athlete. He can give advice on it.

It was suggested to me that rather than trying to get this reversed, let David shoot himself in the foot and at some point the BOD has to hold him accountable. At the same time, this is an election year. All those who support it - vote against them.

I agree it applies to those trying to make Olympic Teams and the Pan Am Teams. The Sr Nationals is part of that process and that is why at least for Sr Nationals they are impeding those athletes "right to compete".

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree it applies to those trying to make Olympic Teams and the Pan Am Teams. The Sr Nationals is part of that process and that is why at least for Sr Nationals they are impeding those athletes "right to compete".

Sorry I wasn't clear. I doubt that it can be argued for the green, blue, red belts. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. However, another point here is that the qualification requirements don't list staying at the approved hotels either. And can u really change the rules with 2 qualifiers left?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear. I doubt that it can be argued for the green, blue, red belts. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. However, another point here is that the qualification requirements don't list staying at the approved hotels either. And can u really change the rules with 2 qualifiers left?

A person of Integrity wouldn't! You don't do this to your customers! Unless you have a blatant contempt for them! Or you only see your customers as 2 schools Peak/Lopez!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[/b]

A person of Integrity wouldn't! You don't do this to your customers! Unless you have a blatant contempt for them! Or you only see your customers as 2 schools Peak/Lopez!

Do you not mean Lopez/Peak, does Lopez come before Peak or is Peak the top billing act. I get this two mix up, so many to choose from..

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you not mean Lopez/Peak, does Lopez come before Peak or is Peak the top billing act. I get this two mix up, so many to choose from..

Depends on which one you are talking to at the moment. Although you are forgetting the 3rd player here in the top billing act - Gold Medal.

Latest Discussions