State qualifier coaching question

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I registered online to coach at a USAT state qualifier today. Those running the tournament charged an additional coaching fee at the door. Is that acceptable? Common practice?

Thanks,
Carl

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I registered online to coach at a USAT state qualifier today. Those running the tournament charged an additional coaching fee at the door. Is that acceptable? Common practice?

Thanks,
Carl
Not an additonal fee, but a late fee. Yes that is normal. What is not normal is that they even allow you to coach or register at the door. Normally once registration closes that is it. You would not be able to coach. But what they are doing is allowing you to register at the door and because you are late the cost is higher.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No it wasn't that. I was registered early in Hangastar and paid when I registered. I suspect this was something less appropriate and wondered if it happens elsewhere or whether it's not acceptable to charge beyond USAT registration.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like that should surprise you? It IS the USAT afterall!

Right, but this wasn't the USAT. I took care of all that and arrived to find at the door that they wanted $10 for my coaching credential. It wasn't a membership in state org. or anything else, just charging me for my coaching credential (a sticker written on with a marker) that USAT had as all set and confirmed. It felt like a poll tax. Just tryin' to sort out whether this is in or out-of-bounds.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right, but this wasn't the USAT. I took care of all that and arrived to find at the door that they wanted $10 for my coaching credential. It wasn't a membership in state org. or anything else, just charging me for my coaching credential (a sticker written on with a marker) that USAT had as all set and confirmed. It felt like a poll tax. Just tryin' to sort out whether this is in or out-of-bounds.
Sounds like someone just needed some gas money. Once you pay online that is it. What state was this?

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope Britt, you've got the wrong event. The link you put up goes to a future event from a different organization.

britt_boo

White Belt
Reaction score
wah... ok im confused theres like no info about the tournement,i figured out what you were talking about ..sorta. is there a website for it or a link on the mac website?

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://usa-taekwondo.us/events/6644 yeah its and additional fee
click here and then look at the packet info for the event
Also this is not what he is talking about. The packet clearly state that additional coach passes are 10. So this tourney does not have you register as a coach it only wants you to have your AC or Level 1 credientals to coach. The toruney is giving 1 free coach pass to every schools and then if you have multiple coaches they will have to pay $10 bucks for every pass other than the first free one.

USAT will have you register as a coach and and pay for that registration online. Every one that pays and registers will get a coach pass. USAT's registration is paying for you coach pass.

So there are two different things going on here. You pay to get your AC or Level 1 only once ever. Once you are an AC or any Level coach you are that for life. The only thing you every have to do is to take the CIDP or udate each year. You can also increase you Level if you want to. Leverl 1. 2 or 3 right now. They will have a 4 coming up pretty soon. Level 1 and up gives you protest rights. AC you have no rights to protest but can coach.

Now once you have your AC or Level creds you can then sign up to coach an event. That is now a separate cost. USAT usually lets you register to coach an event online and pay for that event. Once paid for online you do not have to pay any additional money at the door.

Now if you only pay for your AC and tested and there was no event that you signed up for to coach or you simply paid to renew your USAT dues then they may be charging coaches for the actual event at the door as what you did online was not actually register to coach the event. You may have simply paid for your AC or USAT membership fees or dues.

Anything other than what I stated above is someone looking to make some free cash.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
USAT usually lets you register to coach an event online and pay for that event. Once paid for online you do not have to pay any additional money at the door.
Anything other than what I stated above is someone looking to make some free cash.

I'm a Level 1 coach who registered ahead. I came to the same conclusion about being fleeced; just looking to confirm and see whether that's common, or rare enough that I can get HQ to take a stand against it. We'll see.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never had that happen to me in all the times I've coached at an event. Once I registered through Hangstar, that was the end of it. i just had to prove who I( was to picjk up credentials at the door. I'd be very suspicious of anyone asking for more money after I already paid to coach.

Peace,
Erik

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i heard a nasty rumor that some of the state tournaments were not requiring the coach credetials like at regionals. In fact some weren't even giving the option through hangastar. Personally, for a state event, i would try next time just showing up.

I know the PA state didnt require coach credentials... just pay at the door.

even though I too am a level 1.... it wasn't needed.

Latest Discussions