Not too bad for an old guy

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife shot some pictures at the dojang last night, and I thought I'd share this one. Looks to me like I'm turning my hips too far and lifting the heel of the supporting foot too much. Any other comments?

Attachments

• $mailer.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 184

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yep on the heel and hip. (what kick were you doing? just round house?)

you might want to keep your hands in tighter....don't want them glasses getting knocked off... ;)

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yep on the heel and hip. (what kick were you doing? just round house?)

you might want to keep your hands in tighter....don't want them glasses getting knocked off... ;)

Yes, plain old garden variety front leg roundhouse. At my age, I'm not much for jumping kicks, though I do like spinning kicks. But I try to work the basics very hard. I figure you cannot improve the more advanced kicks until you improve the basics.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your knee is too far ahead of the target and pointed at the wrong angle for the kick you are doing. But this could be the hip thing. Also, I think the left leg is too straight as well as turned too far into the kick, making for a slower recovery. Bend the knee slightly next time.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice kick. Like dirty dog, no more jumping kicks. The jumping kicks are a bit hard on the spine, but still do those spinning kicks.

Jumping wouldn't be so bad if you din't have to land;0

What a lot of young whippersnappers have yet to learn is that little known law of physics:
The older you get, the dtronger gravity gets.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jumping wouldn't be so bad if you din't have to land;0

What a lot of young whippersnappers have yet to learn is that little known law of physics:
The older you get, the dtronger gravity gets.

In the ER, we call that "Victim of Gravity".
Alcohol has also been noted to cause an increase in the gravitic pull of the earth. As a result, many of us believe that bar stools and wheelchairs should be equiped with seatbelts and rollbars.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its great your training how old are you? First body position is everything so consider being farther to your right so than you can get full effect for completion of the kick with out bending the knee past the target.

Also you are hitting with the the small part of the instep, small tiny bones that break and don't heal well many top fighters are having problems with thier feet now in later years form fractures and breaks in this area.

Consider that the round kick with instep also includes the ankle and up the shin area. You need to improve your hands poisitons the right hand should be closed and pulled up above the right kicking leg to launch into three options blocking, punching or protecting the head.

The left hand consider the fighting style of the oposing person is he likely to slide an opposing kick up your groin area intentionally or by accident having the left fist stuffed hard a your groin momentarly means they hit your fist and not your balls?

Howerver this risk a counter to the head with out protection. At your age you should be considering using round kick with the ball of the foot more with penetration to key areas such as a slip kick inside or under the persons guard or a half moon kick.

Please be careful with your knees and ankles all twisting, turning and spining put you at risk and if you do tear or break something it will delay your progress. many of the best fighters in the world did not need to use turning or spining kicks.

Keep the pictures comming. good job!

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its great your training how old are you? First body position is everything so consider being farther to your right so than you can get full effect for completion of the kick with out bending the knee past the target.

I'm 49.

Also you are hitting with the the small part of the instep, small tiny bones that break and don't heal well many top fighters are having problems with thier feet now in later years form fractures and breaks in this area.

I kick soft things with the instep, hard things with either the ball of the foot or the shin. Usually the ball of the foot.

Consider that the round kick with instep also includes the ankle and up the shin area. You need to improve your hands poisitons the right hand should be closed and pulled up above the right kicking leg to launch into three options blocking, punching or protecting the head.

The left hand consider the fighting style of the oposing person is he likely to slide an opposing kick up your groin area intentionally or by accident having the left fist stuffed hard a your groin momentarly means they hit your fist and not your balls?

Some of this I attribute to the shoes. I started wearing them a couple weeks ago to allow healing of a foot injury, and they REALLY stick, and that makes my arms go wierd places. And of course, groin strikes are not a sparring technique, and in a real situation, I would not kick to the head unless the person had already been smacked around enough that I was not worried about their ability to counter attack.

Howerver this risk a counter to the head with out protection. At your age you should be considering using round kick with the ball of the foot more with penetration to key areas such as a slip kick inside or under the persons guard or a half moon kick.

I use the half moon kick a lot when sparring, but it's not much good on a higher kick. To reach the head, a full roundhouse, parallel to the ground, seems to be a better idea.

Please be careful with your knees and ankles all twisting, turning and spining put you at risk and if you do tear or break something it will delay your progress. many of the best fighters in the world did not need to use turning or spining kicks.

Keep the pictures comming. good job!

Thank you. :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 49.

I use the half moon kick a lot when sparring, but it's not much good on a higher kick. :)

49? I think I can remeber being 49. The mind is the second thing to go. Can't remeber what that first thing was.

As for the second comment above, another problem with age, is the older you get, the harder it is to get it up.

I am referring to kicks of course.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice kick I must say, I am 43 and there are a cuople of things that my body refuses to do (inside TKD) but I think without TKD there would be SEVERAL things my body will refuse to do, so TKD has been a good thing to me because when I see two cousings of mine that do nothing, I mean exercise/workout I can tell the diference amoung us.

TKD helps me to have a clean and crisp mind too.

Congratulations and please keep show us pics of your progress.

Manny

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 49.

And of course, groin strikes are not a sparring technique,

Thank you. :)

its not a groin kicks I am refering to its uncontroled counter kicking that just comes up the inside in non competition sparring usually the dojang with over zelous usually collored belts who have a tendancy to clash and not pull thier technique untill they learn better control.

Latest Discussions