Starting Kali saturday

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am starting kali this Saturday. I am just curious what arts if I ever decided to cross train, would complement kali the most. Don't have time to cross train now, but maybe some time in the future. Thanks.

Wing Chun and Silat are two styles I could think of that could complement Kali because they have very similar concepts.

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun and Silat are two styles I could think of that could complement Kali because they have very similar concepts.
nice, maybe dog bros I will crosstrain in then when I have more time on my hands. I already tried it and enjoyed it.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Wing Chun is very focused on dominating center line whereas PTK is all about flanking your opponent. In fact the word "tirsia" really implies flanking. For example, the 6th method of the system "Tirsia Largo" roughly translates as "quartering/flanking at long range".

As such, I'm not so sure about the combo of WC and PTK. Silat could work depending on the system and how it is combined.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun is very focused on dominating center line whereas PTK is all about flanking your opponent. In fact the word "tirsia" really implies flanking. For example, the 6th method of the system "Tirsia Largo" roughly translates as "quartering/flanking at long range".

As such, I'm not so sure about the combo of WC and PTK. Silat could work depending on the system and how it is combined.
What better way to complement a fighting style than giving yourself options? This way you can either flank or dominate the centerline. Besides, WC has different flavors. My Wong Shun Leung Wing Chun is all about "making your opponent wrong," as in making them face the wrong direction by pushing, puling, and elbow control. That's just like flanking, except I'm not stepping to the side. Like Scotty in Star Trek said, "It never occurred to me to think of space as the thing that was moving." :)

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In fact the word "tirsia" really implies flanking.

And as a full blooded Filipino and FMA practitioner I have a duty to inform my FMA brothers of certain translation errors that spreads around because someone said it or wrote it down somewhere and accepted as fact. "Pekiti Tirsia" translates to Third Skill (implying the knife, which originally was all PK was all about. I know it doesn't sound as cool as "Cut up to little pieces" but it is what it is. Also, Hubad Lubad doesn't mean "tie and untie". It literally translates to "naked and exposed" which describes the empty hands with no weapons (feeling naked without). The more you know, G.I. Joe. :)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
And as a full blooded Filipino and FMA practitioner I have a duty to inform my FMA brothers of certain translation errors that spreads around because someone said it or wrote it down somewhere and accepted as fact. "Pekiti Tirsia" translates to Third Skill (implying the knife, which originally was all PK was all about.

Thanks for that. The definition I was given for tirsia is actually "thirds", which doesn't translate well given our vernacular in the US, were we might think of as "quartering" someone, or "flanking" them. I was trying to use "flanking" so that it would be easier to understand.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
What better way to complement a fighting style than giving yourself options? This way you can either flank or dominate the centerline. Besides, WC has different flavors. My Wong Shun Leung Wing Chun is all about "making your opponent wrong," as in making them face the wrong direction by pushing, puling, and elbow control. That's just like flanking, except I'm not stepping to the side. Like Scotty in Star Trek said, "It never occurred to me to think of space as the thing that was moving." :)

There are very good reasons to not have competing strategies. In addition, flanking, which is a large part of PTK, is due to the reality of weapons. Staying right in front of someone with a weapon in the mix is not a particularly good strategy.

I have no problem with WC, but the systems were compiled for different purposes. Things that are common to WC such as trapping have their place in PTK as well, but the overarching principles are different.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
nice, maybe dog bros I will crosstrain in then when I have more time on my hands. I already tried it and enjoyed it.

Dog Brothers Gatherings won't really be cross-training, more like application. If you you mean DB Martial Arts in which case there are certainly some valuable things that you can pick up.

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dog Brothers Gatherings won't really be cross-training, more like application. If you you mean DB Martial Arts in which case there are certainly some valuable things that you can pick up.
I meant Dog Bros martial Arts. I trained there for a month but it didn't work with my schedule as planned which is why I switched to Kali.

Mr Mojo Lane

White Belt
Reaction score
I am starting kali this Saturday. I am just curious what arts if I ever decided to cross train, would complement kali the most. Don't have time to cross train now, but maybe some time in the future. Thanks.

Many people have combined training in Arnis w/ Jiu-jitsu. I guess nowadays you can add TJJ and BJJ. Really, though, old school Judo had most of the techniques of BJJ