SSGB #9 - The dreaded Cartwheel

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Ask on 'that-other-forum-that-deals-specifically-with-this-art-but-shall-remain-nameless-here-out-of-a-sense-of-decorum-and-proper-respect-for-this-current-forum'.

2. Take the cartwheel out altogether. In preparation for my BB test, I started taking private lessons with Master Lee in Abingdon, MD (about 2 1/2 hrs drive from my home dojang), with the approval, blessing, and encourgament of my Instructor. The first time Master Lee saw me do SSGB #9, he told me, "I do not want you to do a cartwheel there." I think it might be optional for the 'over 40' crowd (and probably not recommended for the 'well-over-40' crowd).

3. For whatever meager success I was able to muster in the cartwheel, I actually started practicing it 6 months before I got to SSGB #9. I found it easier to practice with something in my right hand - I recommend starting with a short stick.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There aren't very many people who can do the cartwheel well, but unless you are instructed otherwise, be ready to do it. I know I can't do it terribly well, but I can muster it.

Remember, you aren't so much throwing yourself as you are falling with some angular momentum. This means that you're going to end up fighting yourself during the cartwheels, so the first step is... relax! The more you think about what you're doing, the more you seize up.

Second - Remember to keep your legs vertical. Chances are, you're bending them too early during the flip, and you fall off balance, either forwards or back.

Also, I wouldn't practice it too much in one sitting. Do it a couple times, every day, then move on. Frustrating yourself with it is not very conducive to learning it.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find this funny that I saw this topic because I just learned this form recently. That cartwheel is Oh So Fun......... I can do it but its not pretty. That 360 jumping turning cross cut is also entertaining too.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An old thread revised, but I have to ask....
Cartwheel? with a sword?
...seriously?
any links?

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep. Seriously. We also have rolls with the sword too.
There's an example of the form with the cartwheel. I do mine one handed though as I'm not a fan of putting the blade on the tile floors we practice on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. Seriously. We also have rolls with the sword too.
There's an example of the form with the cartwheel. I do mine one handed though as I'm not a fan of putting the blade on the tile floors we practice on.

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the cartwheel is one of the more ill advised parts of the sangsoo gumbup. Alternatives exist.

Little of the SSGB's ... athleticism ... is retained into the yedo gumbup or bonguk gumbup.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, the cartwheel is one of the more ill advised parts of the sangsoo gumbup. Alternatives exist.

Little of the SSGB's ... athleticism ... is retained into the yedo gumbup or bonguk gumbup.
My Ssang su geombeop is very different from that of (I assume) HDGD.

Daniel

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Ssang su geombeop is very different from that of (I assume) HDGD.

Daniel

I would assume so. The HDGD ssang soo gumbup consist of 12 full hyung, intended to develop both athleticism and the fundamental principles of motion in the practitioner. I am uncertain of their derivation, and expect that kwanjangnim Kim Jeong Ho and Na Han Il created them, or at least drove their creation. How much was derived from the principles of gicheon and how much was their own invention I do not know.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just to be clear, that was not a criticism on my end. :)

I tend towards a more conservative style, and certainly is not as dynamic or athletic as what I have seen in HDGD.

As an aside, I believe that I had read somewhere than Hayden Christiansen had trained in HDGD in order to prepare for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I can see where a dynamic and athletic style would translate well to film.

Daniel

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No criticism was taken, however, turning a cold eye on my own art, it is pretty clearly walking a line between a budo art and Korean wushu, and it hasn't decided which way to go.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No criticism was taken, however, turning a cold eye on my own art, it is pretty clearly walking a line between a budo art and Korean wushu, and it hasn't decided which way to go.
I figure HDGD is what it is. Perhaps it doesn't need to make up its mind?

My classes are solidly mudo (budo). Not better or worse; just the direction that I prefer.

Daniel

Latest Discussions