Long Fist Kung Fu - Master Adam Hsu

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wanted to learn Long Fist when I was younger, and I did learn some. But sadly it was the Modern Wushu version so I stopped.. I don't do 1 handed cartwheels holding a Jian

This is not Modern Wushu, this is about traditional Long Fist

Yang Jwing Ming Long Fist

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From your first video. I was taught to hit harder and faster by pulling my rear hand back as fast as possible. The pulling back on the rear hand powers the punch. Lots of punching concepts out there.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is "Long Fist" a generic term or a specific style?

Is this the same Long Fist that is taught by Jwing-Ming Yang? How does it differ from Bak Sil Lum?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From your first video. I was taught to hit harder and faster by pulling my rear hand back as fast as possible. The pulling back on the rear hand powers the punch. Lots of punching concepts out there.
In my opinion, simply withdrawing the hand would do nothing to increase power in the punch with the other hand, even if done vigorously. However, withdrawing the hand can augment the torso rotation, which does increase that power. This is the concept behind the Tibetan crane method, where we pull the hand all the way to the rear as we turn the torso. It is exaggerated, to emphasize that rotation of the torso.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Is this the same Long Fist that is taught by Jwing-Ming Yang? How does it differ from Bak Sil Lum?
Both. it just depends on the context that it's used. There's a Long Fist system. Then there are systems that adopted some of the strikes found in that system. For example, When I talk about Jow Ga as a long fist system, I'm using it in a general context since our strikes are long but mainly because we use some of the same and similar strikes.

In training we practice long, because it's easier to shorten our strikes in a fight than to lengthen them. If you train short strikes then it becomes more difficult to make them longer when used in a real fight.

How much focus on the Long Fist system depends on the direction the teacher leans towards.

The teacher that I learned from taught his students this form. Because it forced us to be bigger. Jow Ga is made from 3 systems. Choy Ga, Hung Ga, and Northern Shaolin. Which is why it uses a combination of Northern Shaolin which is why some of our forms have the techniques from Long Fist.

For me personally, my belief is that I can Train Hung Ga, Choy Ga, and Northern Shaolin and still be true to the Jow Ga Kung Fu system.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion, simply withdrawing the hand would do nothing to increase power in the punch with the other hand, even if done vigorously.
This is correct. Sometimes I forget to be more specific. In my mind I'm thinking people understand the mechanics of using the waist to power the punch. Twist one way to send the punch out or to pull one back.

This is the concept behind the Tibetan crane method, where we pull the hand all the way to the rear as we turn the torso. It is exaggerated, to emphasize that rotation of the torso.
This is the importance of being "Bigger" or "Exaggerated" when learning some things can't be felt unless it's a much larger movement. For example, twisting the waist is a difficult concept for those who don't feel that connection. It's easier to feel it the the movement is larger than it is to feel it when the movement is supposed to be much smaller and subtle.

I'm pretty sure this confuses people and gives them the assumption that a technique in a form is useless In application, my double punches are often much shorter than what I practice in form. In application the extension of power is there, but the physical outwork look is much shorter.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It's power generation. The length of the strike has not much to do with it, Northern or Southern. BSL is just a long fist system like a bunch of others like Kou Shou Fanzi Quan is a mid to shortish fist.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Long fist is a style, but there are variations. Same with just about any Chinese martial art. Taijiquan is a style, but you have Chen, Yang, Wu, Wu/Hao, Sun, etc. Xingyiquan is a style but under that you have Shanxi, Hebei, Henan, Shang, same with many other CMA styles too

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's power generation. The length of the strike has not much to do with it, Northern or Southern. BSL is just a long fist system like a bunch of others like Kou Shou Fanzi Quan is a mid to shortish fist.

If my memory is correct, Adam Hsu says Taijiquan is basically a long fist

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In my opinion, simply withdrawing the hand would do nothing to increase power in the punch with the other hand, even if done vigorously. However, withdrawing the hand can augment the torso rotation, which does increase that power. This is the concept behind the Tibetan crane method, where we pull the hand all the way to the rear as we turn the torso. It is exaggerated, to emphasize that rotation of the torso.

yup, you also need torso rotation, a similar thing is done in Xingyiquan, especially in Bengquan

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same in my style.