Gumdo history/background question

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been a TKD guy for 25+ years. Always been a bit of a history buff for Korean arts. But the 1st timeI'd heard of Gumdo was the mid-90's. Then it seems as if every Korean TKD master suddenly was a 3rd Dan in Gumdo. While I'm sure there is a "magic plane" syndrome going on there (ie. "It's popular, so I'd say I'm a 3rd Dan & add it to my program") but I've not heard much of the origins of Gumdo. I had heard once that it was created in 1989. Please enlighten me. I sound a dope on the subject.

I want to a bit of the history & belt progression. Thanks!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gumdo is the Korean version of Kendo.

During the Japanese occupation of Korea(1910-1945) the only martial arts being allowed by the occupying Japanese were Judo (as a PE program) and Kendo. Kendo was a required subject to be studied by the police during this time. As such, it was isolated to the police departments.

Probably after the end of WWII, some Koreans that were allowed to study kendo began teaching outside of the police dept. They use the Korean term for kendo as "Gumdo."

Here's an article about an old-days kumdo/kendo teacher: http://www.kimsookarate.com/contributions/penAndSword/penAndtheSword.htm

R. McLain

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gumdo is the Korean version of Kendo.
Not quite right.

1st: the words 'Gumdo' and 'Kumdo' (alternate spelling) are the Korean pronunciations for the same Chinese characters that, in Japanese, spell 'kendo'. All three words translate as roughly 'the way of the sword'. In Japan, the word 'kendo' refers to the martial sport that uses a bamboo sword and cloth armor for sparring. In Korea, the word 'kumdo' still retains its much more generic meaning, and so it refers to ANY sword martial art. Thus, 'Gumdo' or 'Kumdo' CAN refer to the martial sport that uses a bamboo sword for sparring (identical to kendo), but it can also refer to iaido, kenjutsu, haidong gumdo, shimgumdo, muye eship saban, sip pal gi, and dozens of other sword arts. To differentiate between this among English-speakers, those who practice Korean kendo usually use the spelling 'Kumdo', and those who practice other sword arts usually use the spelling 'Gumdo' (with a few exceptions), even though they are still the same words in Korean. Not lost yet? Good, there's more!

2nd: I assume the OP referred to the martial art of Haidong Gumdo (Also spelled 'Haedong Gumdo' or Haedong Kumdo' - one of those exceptions mentioned above). The term 'Haidong Gumdo' means 'the way of the sword from east of the sea', and refers to an ancient Chinese name for the Korean kingdom of Palhae. So, basically, the name means Korean swordsmanship. This name was first used around 1982 by the co-founders of the art, Kim, Jong Ho and Na, Han Il. Up until this time, they taught the same art under the name 'shim gumdo', although there is an art called by that name that is quite different (hence the name change). The sword methods themselves, as well as certain formalities and elements of etiquette/style, reflect an older root, but the formalized curriculum was established by GM/President Kim around this time.

GMs Kim and Na studied Korean swordsmanship from the early 1970's, and were both licensed to teach the Korean sword arts of Gicheon Mun ('Gateway to Heavenly Energy', a secretive, almost cult-like soft-style, internal MA based on Northern Chinese mantis KF forms) and shimgumdo. The Grandmaster of Gicheon at that time (who has some title like, 'Exalted Supreme Human being') was teaching as early as the 1950's. This is as far back as I have been able to trace the history and lineage of the art.

There were two large waves of Northern Chinese KF schools that came into Korea, one in 1949, and the other in the late 18th century. It is possible that either (or some combination of both) contributed to the formation of Gicheon as a martial art, providing the root for modern haidong gumdo.

Some websites provide a fanciful 'secret school in the mountains 2000 years ago in ancient Koguryeo' history. This is fictitious. As far as I can tell, there were no 'Samurang' warriors, although the Koguryeo Kingdom did defeat a million-man Sui Chinese army, but by damming a river until their adversaries were mid-stream in crossing, NOT by their superior sword skill.

References and more info available on request.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost forgot:

3rd: The reason why there are so many 3rd and 4th Dans in Haidong Gumdo popping up:

When the original and largest of the World governing bodies (World Daehan Haidong Gumdo Federation) began moving knowledge of this art into the west, they used the already-existing network of established schools of Korean MAs. Using personal friendships and networks, they made the art available as an adjunct to existing schools and school owners, primarily using WTF TKD, TSD, and hapkido schools. The World HQ established a series of short courses and intensives, with Grand Masters from Korea traveling to the US, Canada, Australia, and throughout Europe, visiting for continuing education and training. The idea was to allow established school owners who were already masters rank or higher in their respective arts to 'fast-track' to first Dan and become Instructors of the art in their home countries/schools. First Dan could be achieved in as little as four months, after several all-weekend intensives, individual instruction, and formal testing. At the time of award of the 1st Dan, an honorary title of 'master' was given, additional teacher training was provided, and a continuing education schedule was established to allow continued training and accelerated rank advancement through 4th Dan. Actual rank and title of 'master' was not conferred until the recipient tested for and earned that title at fourth Dan. The entire teacher-trainer certification and accelerated learning program included a 'franchise fee' to protect the school owner's 'territory' and to allow them to add haidong gumdo, use logos, include federation membership, etc., to their regular school offerings.

The program has had its problems. However, it provided a way for the art to make an entrance in and be widely received and accepted in the West. (By comparison, the second largest world federation for the art, which started roughly at the same time, has schools in 2 states in the US). Also, since it was limited to only those who had an established school and an earned rank of master in another MA, it provided some safeguards for quality of instruction and integrity of the 'business' part of the school. Today, you are starting to see the beginning edge of the wave of students with 3rd and 4th Dans in the US who have worked through the rank structure from the ground up, without the accelerated training/instructor program.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjamom you maybe right about the wave but around my neck of the woods, they are comming out of the woodworks and I even know some and never even knew they knew anything about it. I beleive alot of folks are using this to fast track students into there schools. Just my opinion.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, you may be right -

Unfortunately, I'm sure we've all met individuals in the MAs who can give all schools and instructors a bad name by their less-than-ethical actions. A reminder to us all to "Let the Buyer Beware!" Check the training, credentials, and skill of whomever you choose for your instruction!

ADDED ON EDIT: Terry, there is a (small) chance that my family and I might be moving to Houston in about a year and a half. Is that anywhere close to you?

EDIT ADDED AFTER MY LAST EDIT: Hey, I just realized I hit my 500th post, and that last one gave me my 'Martial Talk Black Belt' woo-HOOOOOO!

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I'm sure we've all met individuals in the MAs who can give all schools and instructors a bad name by their less-than-ethical actions. A reminder to us all to "Let the Buyer Beware!" Check the training, credentials, and skill of whomever you choose for your instruction!

Very wise words.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the part of Houston you move to. Generally, it is about a 4 hour drive from Arlington to downtown Houston.

R. McLain

ADDED ON EDIT: Terry, there is a (small) chance that my family and I might be moving to Houston in about a year and a half. Is that anywhere close to you?

EDIT ADDED AFTER MY LAST EDIT: Hey, I just realized I hit my 500th post, and that last one gave me my 'Martial Talk Black Belt' woo-HOOOOOO!

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Like Master Mc Lain has pointed out Houston is about a 4 hour drive.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on that MT blackbelt. I have nothing to add to the thread, by the way, just wanted to add the congratulations... now, back to posting for that Martial Talk Master status!:D

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Almost forgot:

3rd: The reason why there are so many 3rd and 4th Dans in Haidong Gumdo popping up:

When the original and largest of the World governing bodies (World Daehan Haidong Gumdo Federation) began moving knowledge of this art into the west, they used the already-existing network of established schools of Korean MAs. Using personal friendships and networks, they made the art available as an adjunct to existing schools and school owners, primarily using WTF TKD, TSD, and hapkido schools. The World HQ established a series of short courses and intensives, with Grand Masters from Korea traveling to the US, Canada, Australia, and throughout Europe, visiting for continuing education and training. The idea was to allow established school owners who were already masters rank or higher in their respective arts to 'fast-track' to first Dan and become Instructors of the art in their home countries/schools. First Dan could be achieved in as little as four months, after several all-weekend intensives, individual instruction, and formal testing. At the time of award of the 1st Dan, an honorary title of 'master' was given, additional teacher training was provided, and a continuing education schedule was established to allow continued training and accelerated rank advancement through 4th Dan. Actual rank and title of 'master' was not conferred until the recipient tested for and earned that title at fourth Dan. The entire teacher-trainer certification and accelerated learning program included a 'franchise fee' to protect the school owner's 'territory' and to allow them to add haidong gumdo, use logos, include federation membership, etc., to their regular school offerings.

The program has had its problems. However, it provided a way for the art to make an entrance in and be widely received and accepted in the West. (By comparison, the second largest world federation for the art, which started roughly at the same time, has schools in 2 states in the US). Also, since it was limited to only those who had an established school and an earned rank of master in another MA, it provided some safeguards for quality of instruction and integrity of the 'business' part of the school. Today, you are starting to see the beginning edge of the wave of students with 3rd and 4th Dans in the US who have worked through the rank structure from the ground up, without the accelerated training/instructor program.

Wow! Thank you for these detailed & honest posts on the subject, Ninjamom! This was just what I was hoping for.

Hai Dong Gumdo seems to be coming into it's own, now. The accelerated rank explains the popping up of the Art in more schools.

Thanks again for this!

Latest Discussions