Sprained thumb

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I sprained my thumb quite badly at tkd tonight. I have done this once before but not this badly. I was just wondering if people who have had this injury themselves could let me know how long it took to heal completely and if a break from tkd was necessary. Also any advice on strapping and managing the injury would be great also. Thanks in advance.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes , I feel your pain and I mean that literally.
I have had one for several months and it still hasn't healed yet , but that is because I am idiot that still keeps on training it and re-injuring it.

Plus the fact that when you have an annoying little injury like this it acts as a magnet and you are always hitting it or catching it on something.

I accidentally hit it on the gear shift in the car the other night and the sudden searing pain nearly made me pass out , with all the swearing I was doing the other motorists must have thought I was some lunatic road rager.

You could probably try the standard things like icing it up etc , the problem with strapping it up is that sometimes your going to need to use that hand and you have to keep taking it off all the time.

Its just going to need rest and time to heal , thats all there is to it.
You can probably still train , but be sure to only limit yourself to training leg techniques and keep your hands right out of it for a while.

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
you're not wrong about the pain, Ive accidentally bumped it a few times and its not very pleasant at all. Ive actually just had my wife strap it up as it stops me trying to use it. Unfortunately its my right hand so Im having to learn to do everything left handed at the moment.