Question about an injury

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. They are terms for and used by teens.
Na. Like I said the use of the term at least in the United States is colloqial and multigenerational..

Elderly hippies and bikers use "dude". Peter Fonda called all his friends dude up until his death at 79, including Kurt Russell.

Most generation X (mine) use it because Mike Judge created " Beavis and Butthead" and predicted what Gen X's kids would be like.

So kids and teens today only use it because the last 60 years of adults around them have.

Like I said before the term originated in the Old West, among armed adults. The only thing that's changed is the clothing. I'm more of a duster guy myself than a traditional "dude". I like leather and metal.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Na. Like I said the use of the term at least in the United States is colloqial and multigenerational..

Elderly hippies and bikers use "dude". Peter Fonda called all his friends dude up until his death at 79, including Kurt Russell.

Most generation X (mine) use it because Mike Judge created " Beavis and Butthead" and predicted what Gen X's kids would be like.

So kids and teens today only use it because the last 60 years of adults around them have.

Like I said before the term originated in the Old West, among armed adults. The only thing that's changed is the clothing. I'm more of a duster guy myself than a traditional "dude". I like leather and metal.
Ah, well I respectfully disagree. We clearly come from different worlds because the way I was raised, that is not the case. Just because almost everybody uses them doesn't mean it's right. I think it's wrong to use those terms on the regular. But hey, this isn't even related to martial arts, so let's just drop it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, well I respectfully disagree. We clearly come from different worlds because the way I was raised, that is not the case. Just because almost everybody uses them doesn't mean it's right. I think it's wrong to use those terms on the regular. But hey, this isn't even related to martial arts, so let's just drop it.
OK, dude.

Xiǎo xīn!Lā zhù shéng zi!

Last edited:
OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love that you find that funny, cause I don't really care if your trying to trigger my anger, cause it ain't gonna work. 💁‍♀️

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love that you find that funny, cause I don't really care if your trying to trigger my anger, cause it ain't gonna work. 💁‍♀️
Lol, I think it's funny you act just like a teenager and can't let this go.

So when you said we come from different worlds, you were right. I'm a mature, middle aged adult and you are a child (unless you are lying about being 16).

Which is probably why you didn't understand the context of the statement I made in Mandarin (a really funny joke imho), or why you think only teens say "dude" and you were somehow raised better than the rest of us born before 2007.

You might be too sensitive for online forums, but you definitely won't make any friends here being so defensive. It's a discussion board, grow some thicker skin. I mean seriously, complaining about someone's emote on your post, lol. Silly.

And don't train until you are fully healed. Take care, getting thrown from a horse sucks, dude. All I can offer is my old man sage wisdom, if you don't want it, ignore it like an adult would.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lol, I think it's funny you act just like a teenager and can't let this go.

So when you said we come from different worlds, you were right. I'm a mature, middle aged adult and you are a child (unless you are lying about being 16).

Which is probably why you didn't understand the context of the statement I made in Mandarin (a really funny joke imho), or why you think only teens say "dude" and you were somehow raised better than the rest of us born before 2007.

You might be too sensitive for online forums, but you definitely won't make any friends here being so defensive. It's a discussion board, grow some thicker skin. I mean seriously, complaining about someone's emote on your post, lol. Silly.

And don't train until you are fully healed. Take care, getting thrown from a horse sucks, dude. All I can offer is my old man sage wisdom, if you don't want it, ignore it like an adult would.
I may be a teenager, but I definitely don't act like one; not that you would know. Plus, for whatever it's worth, I am not even close to being a child. When I said we come from different worlds, I wasn't talking about what time period you grew up in, I was talking about our different opinions. Actually I did understand the context of your Mandarin joke, not that you would care. I know other people use the word "dude" but I don't accept that. To me, using the word "dude" is childish. And I may have been born in the 2000s but I refuse to accept my own generation because I wasn't raised like I was in the 2000s. And I'm not saying that I was raised better than everyone else, I'm just saying I was raised differently. I won't say how because it may seem offensive to some.

I ain't too sensitive for online forums, and I'm not even a sensitive person whatsoever. But you wouldn't know that because you don't know me. I just take everything literally and I don't take jokes. I wasn't complaining about an emote on a post either, I was just making sure they knew that their intentions were pointless and that I wasn't bothered by their rude humor.

And yes I know, it probably wouldn't be wise to train before I'm healed which unfortunately will take a couple months. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may be a teenager, but I definitely don't act like one; not that you would know. Plus, for whatever it's worth, I am not even close to being a child. When I said we come from different worlds, I wasn't talking about what time period you grew up in, I was talking about our different opinions. Actually I did understand the context of your Mandarin joke, not that you would care. I know other people use the word "dude" but I don't accept that. To me, using the word "dude" is childish. And I may have been born in the 2000s but I refuse to accept my own generation because I wasn't raised like I was in the 2000s. And I'm not saying that I was raised better than everyone else, I'm just saying I was raised differently. I won't say how because it may seem offensive to some.

I ain't too sensitive for online forums, and I'm not even a sensitive person whatsoever. But you wouldn't know that because you don't know me. I just take everything literally and I don't take jokes. I wasn't complaining about an emote on a post either, I was just making sure they knew that their intentions were pointless and that I wasn't bothered by their rude humor.

And yes I know, it probably wouldn't be wise to train before I'm healed which unfortunately will take a couple months. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
I'm about 50 going on 900. You know, I do understand 16 year olds very well, not just because I was one once, but I also train probationary permit drivers (15-16) before they test for their junior driver's licenses. Teenagers are some of the most fragile things on earth and I don't take that responsibility lightly (especially when any one of them could end my life on the road in a moment of excitement). They tend to be subject to their own little personal worlds.

If you got the "shorty, grab the rope" joke, did you get the Shiva Linga easter egg?

Harrison Ford is fondly referred to as "that dude" by many friends. Jessica Williams (his 30-Something costar on Shrinking) on Ford: "‘Holy !@#$. He’s that dude. He’s him."

When I laugh at you there is no intention. I laugh at everything. It's a Zen thing.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm about 50 going on 900. You know, I do understand 16 year olds very well, not just because I was one once, but I also train probationary permit drivers (15-16) before they test for their junior driver's licenses. Teenagers are some of the most fragile things on earth and I don't take that responsibility lightly (especially when any one of them could end my life on the road in a moment of excitement). They tend to be subject to their own little personal worlds.

If you got the "shorty, grab the rope" joke, did you get the Shiva Linga easter egg?

Harrison Ford is fondly referred to as "that dude" by many friends. Jessica Williams (his 30-Something costar on Shrinking) on Ford: "‘Holy !@#$. He’s that dude. He’s him."

When I laugh at you there is no intention. I laugh at everything. It's a Zen thing.
Ah ok. So you're a Drivers Ed teacher then I'm guessing. Well you may understand most 16 year olds, but you don't even slightly understand me. I'm really not fragile like you say though. I'm not your average 16 year old, in fact, I couldn't be more different than most 16 year olds.

Ah ok, that's weird.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be a teenager, but I definitely don't act like one; not that you would know. Plus, for whatever it's worth, I am not even close to being a child.
Yes you are. Developmentally, you are still a child. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's something important to acknowledge.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes you are. Developmentally, you are still a child. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's something important to acknowledge.
No I'm not, clearly you know nothing about me. You can't just sit there and make assumptions about me without knowing anything about me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I'm not, clearly you know nothing about me. You can't just sit there and make assumptions about me without knowing anything about me.
It's not really an assumption. You are 16 years old, and human. You've said the 16 years old part, and I'm fairly certain about the human part. That means that your brain has not fully developed, regardless of how you were raised/how special or different you are. This is not me making a guess as to how you were raised, how mature you are as an individual, or me judging you. It is simply science.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah ok. So you're a Drivers Ed teacher
Only in my off hours.

Most of the time, I'm a chef. A really good one.

Right now I'm soaking some chicken breasts in an olive oil and spice mixture, worrying about my choice of baking powder because it contains sodium aluminum sulfate. But I know I can compensate for that with some sugar, cumin, and salt.

Weird to kids, sure, but you know what? Everyone loves my cooking, and I learned to cook through Kung Fu.

One of my driving students once asked how old I was, and when I told her she said "well thats a creepy age". Dumped her right back on her parents driveway, never returned their calls.

Teens, dude.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I recently got thrown from a horse and sprained my back very badly and it twisted my spine up so now I wear a brace to help relieve some pain. And I was wondering, is there any kind of stretching or techniques I could practice in Taekwondo that I could do that wouldn't cause strain on my back from the injury? Because I feel like if I don't practice while I'm still healing I will lose some skill or technique in that time during the healing process. Or do you think I should just let it heal before I get back to it?
see a doctor, listen to the doctor, recover and go back to training. Go back to soon could cause more problems and eventiually end training all together

Listen to the MD.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off-topic, but whenever my young daughter asks why I don't say "dude" or "bruh", I tell her it's because I went to university.

To me, these terms are by and for teens.
My entire life, "dude" has been used by folks my own age. I'm in my 50's now, and it is still used pretty commonly by folks my age, in all kinds of environments.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're asserting they are terms for use by teens. That's clearly not the case, by several others' experience, over decades.

OP
N

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's not really an assumption. You are 16 years old, and human. You've said the 16 years old part, and I'm fairly certain about the human part. That means that your brain has not fully developed, regardless of how you were raised/how special or different you are. This is not me making a guess as to how you were raised, how mature you are as an individual, or me judging you. It is simply science.
You know what, believe what you want. I don't care anymore. Science doesn't always explain everything. This isn't even really related to martial arts, so what's the point in discussing this.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS;
Stop the sniping and keep the conversation polite and professional. Otherwise the Staff will be forced to do unfriendly things, like suspend accounts.

Mark A Cochran
@Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

Latest Discussions