Sport And TMA....Again

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad you asked.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kirk-lawso...m-2nd-edition/paperback/product-18632709.html
product_thumbnail.php

Boxing used to be chock full of takedowns, trips, throws, chokes, and even (gasp!) pressure point attacks.

But, aside from a few hundred years of boxing history, even in modern boxing, boxers clinch all the time when one of them is tired and needs a rest or one of them is just tired of getting hit.
That's not what he said he said they take people to the ground and control them and they don't. Sorry but your antique boxing isn't reality anymore

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a great stat considering he only fought in 4 UFC tournaments, winning 3 and unable to continue in one after winning vs Kimo....... But I guess counting 6 makes your stat sound better.:ticked:

Even 3 of 4 ok what does it prove other then he was good. Means nothing else. Some people are just head and shoulders above everyone else. Does it mean BJJ was better no not at all it just that he was better. Like all sports some people are just tthat good

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very frequently, yes, they actually do. This especially happens when one guy starts losing the stand-up fight and starts getting his face beaten in. It's natural. Clinches happen all the time when one fighter (or both) get tired. It's dirt common in Boxing. Takedown-to-groundfight is also a lot more common now than many realize because of the influence of MMA.

Sorry, but, now. He's not wrong, it does happen with regularity. All the time? Obviously not. 90% of the time? Not likely. 10% of the time? Also not likely. How often? Hard to say: http://cbd.atspace.com/articles/90percentmyth/90percentmyth.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Again sorry that's just not the case in most real life fights. *

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even 3 of 4 ok what does it prove other then he was good. Means nothing else. Some people are just head and shoulders above everyone else. Does it mean BJJ was better no not at all it just that he was better. Like all sports some people are just tthat good

I just simply disagree! No big deal, after Royce and the Gracie's left, there was an era of the wrestlers dominating the scene. This IMO just proved that without a working knowledge of ground fighting you were in trouble. There is a reason the standup fighters didn't do well until hey grasped grappling.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just simply disagree! No big deal, after Royce and the Gracie's left, there was an era of the wrestlers dominating the scene. This IMO just proved that without a working knowledge of ground fighting you were in trouble. There is a reason the standup fighters didn't do well until hey grasped grappling.
Then why does anyone still learn anything else in MMA if all you need is a little Gracie magic

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks for the info! James Foster is great lineage!! Especially now that he is back under Lotus!

On a side note, as a purple under Foster I'm sure he would be the first to say he is not a "master" at grappling.
I don't remember using the term "master."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Next time, actually read the link before commenting upon it's contents. That way it won't be obvious that you have no clue what is being claimed.

I don't need to read 15 years of law enforcement give me an idea of what happens in real fights. I've been to enough of them

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't need to read 15 years of law enforcement give me an idea of what happens in real fights. I've been to enough of them
Running home to "I'm a cop so I am right" doesn't change the fact that you made an inaccurate innuendo about something you didn't read and got caught. It's just distraction. Next time, actually read the link before commenting upon it's contents. That way it won't be obvious that you have no clue what is being claimed.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're late to the party, but.........

How were the "rules" of the early UFC's biased against "traditional" martial arts

If you ever get an honest answer to this question, I will be amazed.

Simple answer; They weren't biased against traditional martial arts. They still aren't. If removing fish hooks, biting, groin shots, and hair pulling completely invalidates your martial art's effectiveness, then you're not learning much of a martial art.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Running home to "I'm a cop so I am right" doesn't change the fact that you made an inaccurate innuendo about something you didn't read and got caught. It's just distraction. Next time, actually read the link before commenting upon it's contents. That way it won't be obvious that you have no clue what is being claimed.
I didn't run to anything. His claim was most strikers clinch and go to the ground. That's false. Most fights don't even get that far. Few shoves a wild swing or two and its broken up. So before you get your undies in a bunch because I didn't read your little blog remember that what HE said was wrong. I never said fights didn't go to the ground some do even if half do its not what he said. So I don't need to run anywhere and you didn't catch anything

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you ever get an honest answer to this question, I will be amazed.

Simple answer; They weren't biased against traditional martial arts. They still aren't. If removing fish hooks, biting, groin shots, and hair pulling completely invalidates your martial art's effectiveness, then you're not learning much of a martial art.

But its no longer that art. If my art uses groin shots small joint manipulation throat shots eye gouges as a portion of the art and you remove them then its no longer my art its just a fraction of the art.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't run to anything. His claim was most strikers clinch and go to the ground. That's false. Most fights don't even get that far. Few shoves a wild swing or two and its broken up. So before you get your undies in a bunch because I didn't read your little blog remember that what HE said was wrong. I never said fights didn't go to the ground some do even if half do its not what he said. So I don't need to run anywhere and you didn't catch anything
Hell, you don't even know what you're arguing against! You made the stupid mistake of assuming you know what my position is without bothering to find out and then arguing against that.

Now your stuck trying to argue your false and inaccurate assumptions and your position of subject matter authority on something you clear have no idea about the contents is that "I'm a cop and I say so." Dayum.

So, here you sit, making veiled homosexual inferences about my "panties" and you apparently don't even know what a blog is or how it's different from an article.

You don't know what my position is because you never bothered to find out and just assumed wrong. Next time, actually read the link before commenting upon it's contents. That way it won't be obvious that you have no clue what is being claimed.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell, you don't even know what you're arguing against! You made the stupid mistake of assuming you know what my position is without bothering to find out and then arguing against that.

Now your stuck trying to argue your false and inaccurate assumptions and your position of subject matter authority on something you clear have no idea about the contents is that "I'm a cop and I say so." Dayum.

So, here you sit, making veiled homosexual inferences about my "panties" and you apparently don't even know what a blog is or how it's different from an article.

You don't know what my position is because you never bothered to find out and just assumed wrong. Next time, actually read the link before commenting upon it's contents. That way it won't be obvious that you have no clue what is being claimed.

I don't care about your position. Your position has nothing to do with his false statement. You don't like what I say ignore it that's what the ignore button it for

Peace favor your undies