Sperm Donors and the legal issue?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had posted a question in regard of sperm donation in a creative writing context. I was really only interested in the emotional aspect, to figure out, how to work it, yes, no, maybe....

I was a bit surprised when not one but two people brought up the legal issue.

While it ha been assumed in the past that the donor was off the hook in terms of legal responsibilities, at least one recent case has show where this assumption might be flawed - probably in the attempt of the official sides to restrict payments and support when the parental relationships falter....

I think the latest was a lesbian couple of which the breadwinner became unemployed ad asked for assistance (although the unconventional method of going through Craig's List might have something to do with that.

Now, I have been pondering that.
When you adopt a child, the biological parents are wiped off the child's record for good.

Wen the arrangements are made it is with the understanding that the 'parents' claim the child 100%, assume all responsibilities (with of course allowance for what life throws at you...)

As I understand, a child born into a legal marriage is automatically the responsibility of the 'father' even if the spark of life originated in another man's loins.

Is that a problem for all arrangements now, or just for the unconventional couples?

Are reversals of these donor agreements really on the rise?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I understand, a child born into a legal marriage is automatically the responsibility of the 'father' even if the spark of life originated in another man's loins.
That's not true. My supervisor is going thru that now. He slept with a married woman. She got pregnant assumed it was her husbands so they broke off the relationship. That was 16 years ago. The woman and her husband got divorced. She filed for child support. The husband challenged it had a DNA test was found to not be the father. She took my supervisor to court he was found to be the father and is now paying child support for a kid he didn't know was his and has never seen.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not true. My supervisor is going thru that now. He slept with a married woman. She got pregnant assumed it was her husbands so they broke off the relationship. That was 16 years ago. The woman and her husband got divorced. She filed for child support. The husband challenged it had a DNA test was found to not be the father. She took my supervisor to court he was found to be the father and is now paying child support for a kid he didn't know was his and has never seen.

Well, the husband had to take steps to prove it wasn't his...

(but golly...I am sorry, but I can't wrap my head around how one can abandon a child you ahave raised for 16 years like that...it's not like that one story that made the rounds a while back, the 1st kid was the husband's and the other 2 were form the wife's lover...)

But that is neither here nor there.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the husband had to take steps to prove it wasn't his...

(but golly...I am sorry, but I can't wrap my head around how one can abandon a child you ahave raised for 16 years like that...it's not like that one story that made the rounds a while back, the 1st kid was the husband's and the other 2 were form the wife's lover...)

But that is neither here nor there.

Yeah there is no way I could abandon any of my kids if I found out they were not "mine". I'm still their dad no matter what.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are issues coming out in Australia now where the anonymity of donors is being challenged. Things like genetic problems that may not have been an issue 20 years ago are now being questioned. And, like the experience quoted in the OP, I have a feeling there was a case I read where a donor (friend) gave sperm to a lesbian couple. The insemination was completed at home. I can't remember if it was loss of job or breakdown of the relationship that caused financial hardship and they sought support from the donor. :asian:

Latest Discussions