Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So when I punch a guy in the face in sparring and I punch a guy in the face in self defence. What do you think is the difference?
Self defence doesn't take place at sparring distance for one.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah something weird is going on with the links at the moment. Anyway it was a guy using boxing in a street fight.

It happens.
No worries ;-)

So does this, which proves the point that throwing a punch in training is not (necessarily) equal to throwing a punch for real.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No worries ;-)

So does this, which proves the point that throwing a punch in training is not (necessarily) equal to throwing a punch for real.

If it is a sometimes thing then it s a different point. Sometimes boxers brawl. But that is in and out of the ring.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it is a sometimes thing then it s a different point. Sometimes boxers brawl. But that is in and out of the ring.

JOGAWOLF stated that:-
Technique is technique. do you throw a punch in a barroom differently than you throw a punch in sparring? Or is it the same punch at a higher intensity?

My post was the explanation why punches are thrown differently in bars than they are sparring. I just chose boxers as their sparring and their brawling is the most dramatic example of this difference.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
JOGAWOLF stated that:-
Technique is technique. do you throw a punch in a barroom differently than you throw a punch in sparring? Or is it the same punch at a higher intensity?

My post was the explanation why punches are thrown differently in bars than they are sparring. I just chose boxers as their sparring and their brawling is the most dramatic example of this difference.

Some boxers might. Some don't. For mma the lines are blurred a bit more because you can clinch and strike. Which you can't do in boxing.

If you look at guys like mark hunt. They street fight in the cage.

So what jow had said could still be correct that he dose the same stuff in training as in a street fight. I certainly do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Self defence doesn't take place at sparring distance for one.

Never happens at sparring distance. Is this a rule I don't know about?

How about this. I create a sparring distance so that I don't get my head punched in trying to trade in the pocket.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some boxers might. Some don't. For mma the lines are blurred a bit more because you can clinch and strike. Which you can't do in boxing.

If you look at guys like mark hunt. They street fight in the cage.

So what jow had said could still be correct that he dose the same stuff in training as in a street fight. I certainly do.
But Mark Hunt can't street fight when someone grabs him and is pushing/pulling and wildly flailing fists at you. Having a drunken idiot in a bar grab your and push/pull changes your posture, and has no relevance to what you do in the cage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are confusing fighting and self defence.

Oh. So self defence has the rule that all fights have to start and end in the pocket but fighting dosent.

You know you can move back when a person comes towards you? You don't have to be lips to lips with a guy hoping you will be able to catch that first punch he throws.

If you looked at self defence tactically you can take the fight to a place where you feel comfortable fighting the guy.

You never saw the cheesy surviving edged weapons video? Create space put a barrier in between you and the threat. Then you are in sparring range.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But Mark Hunt can't street fight when someone grabs him and is pushing/pulling and wildly flailing fists at you. Having a drunken idiot in a bar grab your and push/pull changes your posture, and has no relevance to what you do in the cage.

You are not serious. Are you? Regardless of whether or not you are mark hunt. (Becaue he is a big strong guy who is going to punch your head off your shoulders )Grabbing pushing and pulling is exactly what you do in the cage to break the other guys posture.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh. So self defence has the rule that all fights have to start and end in the pocket but fighting dosent.
Again you are talking about fighting and self defence as though they were they same thing. They are not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again you are talking about fighting and self defence as though they were they same thing. They are not.

OK. Why does creating space work for fighting and not self defence?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK. Why does creating space work for fighting and not self defence?
My reply was to your first sentence:-

So self defence has the rule that all fights have to start and end in the pocket but fighting dosent.

You start with "self defence" and then start taking about "fighting".

I didn't bother reading any more as it is clear you are unable to understand the difference, and we can;t discuss the finer points when we are talking at cross purposes.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So when I punch a guy in the face in sparring and I punch a guy in the face in self defence. What do you think is the difference?
Intent.
That changes everything, including the physical delivery of the technique and the results on the other guy, which change how the encounter may develop and evolve and end.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Haha, if some drunken idiot grabs Mark Hunt in a bar, grabbing and push/pull him....that drunken idiot is dead meat in a million ways. It's so easy for me to beat up untrained dumbasses in the street as a fighter, let alone drunken ones. But here, you're talking about MARK FARGIN HUNT, and you think that he'd be a helpless little girl b/c he doesn't train your SD magic?

Latest Discussions