sparring

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know you were in the UK. I can understand you view now! How I missed 'London' is beyond me!
Well, I feel my views arnt the way they are cos of where I live, but the way I feel martial arts should be and what they are about first & foremost!

Over here lots of 'masters' teach karate for a living (most don't make much, but there are alot of them!) And you see much watered down stuff here.
I teach for a living too! Though the watered down stuff is here as well.. Im not a big fan of it as you can imagine.

And unlike what many people think, there really isn't all that much crime here or fights (yes Texas, were everyone owns a gun.)
Gun = equalizer.. over here its what ever you can muster up!

I can see why you take it more seriously than most since it's pretty much all you have to defend yourself with, at least if you obey the laws, cause criminals, well by definition don't obey laws!
Like I said, for me martial arts are still about the martial.. I know guys in the US who feel the same, hence Pioneer TKD. Though Ill never be driving the cars McDojang instructors do.. I get by and as a bonus I get to keep my integrity intact!

Stay safe and practice much!
Same to you my friend,

Stuart

britcanbulldogtkd

White Belt
Reaction score
I love the term Mcdojo It is so apt regarding the drive thru black belt theory that seems to happening in North America (tell me how can anybody learn all forms and become a full martial artist in 18 months or less
But regarding the difference between Martial Arts in Uk and North America its huge UK still has the Church Hall becomes a dojang mentality in many places and though there is some full time schools they are not the majority. Regarding SD and Sparring the main advertising or enticing to bring ppl to any club is SD the Fight/competition is brought into it later
Although most WTF orientated clubs in UK do encourage students to compete at least once
some like it some dont
But back on to the thread Sparing should be encouraged I feel not to prove some machismo type thing (forgive the terminology) but to show and teach combinations in a controlled enviroment whether it be full contact or zero contact

Latest Discussions