Sparring quirks

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Without the fun, what's the point? Hurting anyone you train with intentionally is not what MA are all about. It is the higher ranked or more highly skilled persons responsibility to make sure their partner does not get hurt.

It is the instructors job to eliminate horseplay and instill a learning atmosphere.

-Marc-

I agree 100% with you.

A few weeks ago I was sparring with another female black belt. We have trained together for a couple years now and are friends outside the gym as well. She got me with a good back kick and I started laughing because really I walked right into it. Immediately our instructor stopped the match and warned us to be serious, because 1. sparring is serious and you can be injured at any time really and 2. we are black belts and are supposed to be setting the example for other students.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don't enjoy hurting newbies, we enjoy hurting people who think martial arts are fun and games or a social event.

Hi TraditionalTKD, based on your previous posts, I don't think you really meant this literally (correct me if I'm wrong). It can/is frustrating when you are training hard and you get a partner who just isn't dialed in that day. Challenge yourself when you get partners like this. Take the opportunity to work on something, anything specific you want to improve. That way you get some benefit from a partner who is being a lousy partner.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are times in Tae Kwon Do when you can relax a little and smile and laugh, it is not always serious. Sparring is not that time. Sparring should be serious because A. the possibility of getting hurt is real and B. You need to have respect for your partner regardless of level or friendship. If someone smiles at me, laughs, makes weird noises, or hand gestures, it shows that they either aren't concentrating or they don't respect me as a fellow student. I will give them one warning and then if it happens again I will respond appropriately. I heard stories in the past of people that came to class and tried stuff like that and got really hurt, to the point where they needed medical treatment.
This is something that separates traditional matial arts from so-called "American karate"-traditional martial arts takes a dim view of stuff like that, whereas American karate classes might let it slide.
BTW, I've gone to at least one class in our organization where color belt students acted like that (very informal during sparring). I could not contact them because of my rank, so I had a talk with the Instructor to let them know what was going on. Perhaps an attitude adjustment was in order.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't enjoy hurting newbies, we enjoy hurting people who think martial arts are fun and games or a social event.

I don't enjoy hurting anyone, and I don't appreciate or approve of people who do enjoy hurting people... no matter how much I disagree with their opinions. I enjoy teaching people how to not let others hurt them.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well its sounds like you have a serious problem. Go join a street gang. They look for respect for no good reason too. Prolly save you some money.
sean

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We don't really enjoy hurting people. We do take it personally when some yahoo who doesn't take practice seriously comes to class and does the things I mentioned. Some of us worked hard, sweated, bled, and got knocked around. So when we spar against someone who thinks it is fun and games or a social get together, we get a little miffed. Like I said before, if you want martial arts to be fun and relaxing, go to the American karate school down the road (or whatever it's called).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't really enjoy hurting people. We do take it personally when some yahoo who doesn't take practice seriously comes to class and does the things I mentioned. Some of us worked hard, sweated, bled, and got knocked around. So when we spar against someone who thinks it is fun and games or a social get together, we get a little miffed. Like I said before, if you want martial arts to be fun and relaxing, go to the American karate school down the road (or whatever it's called).
Whats the deal with this "respect" you value so much. What are you trying to accomplish?
Sean

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually, some of the people I used to spar with weren't too far from that. Other than not taking out your knee, they were not above contacting you hard if they felt you were not concentrating or taking it seriously. I saw guys get knocked back 20+ feet with side kicks. And those were the ones we liked.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whats the deal with this "respect" you value so much. What are you trying to accomplish?
Sean

It's one of the cornerstones of traditional martial arts. Respect your Instructor and your fellow classmates. Considering that traditional practice can lead to serious injury if your concentration is not high, it is important to maintain a high level of focus and decorum to show you understand the seriousness of what you are doing.
Many Americans' problem is that they do think martial arts is fun and games and a social get together. As a result, they consider something like sparring to be the equivalent of playing soccer or softball. Just a game, have fun and enjoy yourself. Real free fighting is not like that. If you don't respect your partner, who has worked hard to get where he is, it is perceived as an insult. You show respect by taking what you and him are doing seriously. Even if you don't respect him personally, you respect the activity and the fact that you or him could get hurt.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My old instructor used to make this snarly, frowny "hate you! kill you! you die!" face just before he'd come at me. Of course, being an instructor, he had great control and only beat me as hard as he deemed necessary but the look in his eye was like being hit a lot harder than any of his techniques. I've adopted this myself and consider it a technique in its own right. I've affectionately dubbed this technique "Murray Face" to honor my old instructor (his name is Murray) and I've found it very effective as a psych-out, even with people who are used to it. That might be considered a quirk. Sometimes if you can do something humerous and make your opponent laugh you can suddenly become serious and get'em in the gut too. Try it sometime. It might work for you.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, there are a few people (mostly those that are black belts), that will just let you initiate the attacking and all they do is block... All of the sudden- they'll throw a punch or a kick in. I've tried to kind of counter what they've done, but I'm not all that patient. Although, I believe I'm getting much better at the "surprises"- at least I've been told I am. I've been told that my quirk (although not really one- it's just unexpected depending on the person) is I'll throw out a mixture- they don't always know what I'll do, and I like to keep it close.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's one of the cornerstones of traditional martial arts. Respect your Instructor and your fellow classmates. Considering that traditional practice can lead to serious injury if your concentration is not high, it is important to maintain a high level of focus and decorum to show you understand the seriousness of what you are doing.

** some stuff pulled below **

You show respect by taking what you and him are doing seriously. Even if you don't respect him personally, you respect the activity and the fact that you or him could get hurt.

You start from a fine premise, but instead of leaving it at that you take it further and say, "If you're not acting as I feel you should, then I will make sure you do get hurt."

In that case, I think assault charges would be justified.

Many Americans' problem is that they do think martial arts is fun and games and a social get together. As a result, they consider something like sparring to be the equivalent of playing soccer or softball. Just a game, have fun and enjoy yourself. Real free fighting is not like that. If you don't respect your partner, who has worked hard to get where he is, it is perceived as an insult.

Americans also spend a lot of time doing thousands of kicks and punches with poor mechanics in the name of fitness which will undoubtably lead to joint damage and other health problems, all without ever making any contact.

For many people, the martial arts are social and you'd never keep going if it wasn't fun. The fact that you take their desires and precoceptions as an insult is your own personal problem, and I wonder what insecurity brings it out. If your training goals are incompatible, then you should just clearly state so and go your seperate ways.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many Americans' problem is that they do think martial arts is fun and games and a social get together. As a result, they consider something like sparring to be the equivalent of playing soccer or softball. Just a game, have fun and enjoy yourself. Real free fighting is not like that. If you don't respect your partner, who has worked hard to get where he is, it is perceived as an insult. You show respect by taking what you and him are doing seriously. Even if you don't respect him personally, you respect the activity and the fact that you or him could get hurt.
Again its sounds like an excuse for a whole dominance and submission vibe, But if you can't make fighting like it was a soccer game, they have no bussiness fighting.
Sean

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In an attempt to spin this....

Some of our fighters have a pre-fight ritual that always makes me smile. As the ref calls "June-bi" one kid will slap his thighs alternatingly a couple times. The 1st time I saw it I laughed because it looks kinda goofy! Another guy does the Catholic blessing followed with a loud "Whoo!!!"

My sparring quirk....besides getting owned in the ring....nothing I guess! ;)

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But don't misunderstand. I'm not advocating two people beating the crap out of each other, and I'm also not in favor of color belts being beaten down because they happen to smile or laugh. We don't want people getting hurt. However, students need to be raised with the mentality that sparring is serious and you respect your partner. To that end, smiling, laughing, talking, whistling, humming, hand gestures et al are frowned upon. I'm probably not going to contact a color belt hard because he smiled during sparring. A young child especially, I'm willing to let that go. A black belt should know better. A black belt who does the above needs to know those behaviors do not fit in free fighting because it does show disrespect to your partner. And if a black belt does do the above, it does not reflect very well on their Instructor and organization.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note

Attention All Users:

Please return to the original topic of discussion.

Has anyone else come across some funny sparring quirks or better yet, do you have any?
Thank You,

- Carol Kaur -
- MT Moderator -

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In an attempt to spin this....

Some of our fighters have a pre-fight ritual that always makes me smile. As the ref calls "June-bi" one kid will slap his thighs alternatingly a couple times. The 1st time I saw it I laughed because it looks kinda goofy!

This will release muscle tension. It's a good pre-fight exercise.

I don't like to smile, because it's just excess tension. But don't let that fool you into thinking that I'm not having fun!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll make pseudo-hissing sounds as I strike. The sound is a product of me half-exhaleing while tensing my abs and chest. It also trips people up. At times I'll do odd things like stick out a hand (not striking) and leave it there. It distracts the other guy so I can kick him. Depending on were I place it, it also blocks there vision. I could tell you more, but I'll go with the standard army reply. I could tell you more, but I'd have to kill (lol). Being serious, it's more like "I could tell you more, but you'll have to find out the hard way".
One other thing I'll do (at the rare tornament) is just after the match begins is kiai as loud as possible. Suddenly every one is paying attention. And the other guys is woundering what the heck is going on. Well, just long enough for me to rush in and bash 'em a couple of times.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This will release muscle tension. It's a good pre-fight exercise.

I don't like to smile, because it's just excess tension. But don't let that fool you into thinking that I'm not having fun!

It absolutely works for them, one last thing to get them in their zone! I think it started as a nervous twitch kind of thing and just became a habit. More power to them!

Latest Discussions