sparring nigth

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, last night it was sparring night, and I did it not to bad.The class was divided in 3 sections, section one consisted of free kicking techs with a partner without contact then we proced to put on the gear to do kyorugi (sparring) so I put on my shin/instep protectors and my elbow/forearm protectors and nothing else. Sambunim asked me to wear a hogu but I denied, the hogus in dojang are too small and I don't like to use hogu cause it is unconfortable to me but I borrowed a helmet beacuse my partner is a very nice high kicker so it's better to cover my head.

We did 3 rounds of two minutes each one, in the firsth round it was clear my partner wanted to take of my theet, so I was dodging and blocking all his kicks with sucess but I did not cover my left rib cage too well I got one or two side kicks, I trow a nice back kick that sadly went a little low and catch my partner in the cup, I opologyze and we kept sparring.

Round number two, no matter how fast I wanted to be I coludn't conect, when my leg was fully extended my partner simply was not there, I weight 260 pounds my partner is about 180 punds so as you may see I'm stronger but slower, so I change my strategy. I just wait for him using counterkicks so blocking and dodgin I was able to catch him a couple of toimes with roundhose kicks to the mid section and I don't let him any room so I close the gap and then...... bang... he nailed me with a back kick to my lower ribs on my left side just above the kidney, I felt the sting and kept away from my partner, he saw my disconfort and allow me to recover.

Round three, the same thing the cat trying to catch the mouse, we kick each other and againg I tried to keep my head on, this young guy is nasty about his high kicks and at the end I was exausted.

I thing I did a good sparring, I had not trouble keeping my theet, all the head kicks were blocked, I conect a few times and I got a nice back kick, yes I use my hands in close.

At the end I asked sambunim how it was it and he gave a big smile, he told me sparring was good and he liked the way I cut the atacks of my partner and the nice counter kicks I used to.

Not to bad for a old fa.....t don't you think? At the end I think the liberation of endorfins make me happy I just drove my house very happy and confident.

Manny

Thomas Henderson

White Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you are really happy with your training and that is good. i think you should really use all saftey related gear though. You can never be too safe when training. I hope the rest of training goes well and you continue to enjoy the learning of your art.

Latest Discussions