Oregon Qualifier

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just had a student who relocated to Oregon call me. For the first time in 3 years she qualified for Nationals. Only thing is, there were only 2 others in her division's (only one in Poomsae). She said that there were only 1-2 competitors in almost every Black belt division. Since I have never been to that particular event I am curious if it is always that small.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
State qualifiers will likely all be small except for states like California. Even still it is likely almost everyone in places like California will qualify. Qualifier have been pretty useless for at least the past 5 years.

VinsonTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
I am from Oregon and have competed at that tournament quite a few times. It is usually a lot smaller just because Oregon really doesn't have that many people that show up. They have the California qualifiers too which seem to be a little larger. The problem with Oregon tournaments is they seem to be a hit or miss kind of deal. Sometimes you can get a group of ten and sometimes only 1 or 2 will show.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a school in Oregon as well as a few in San Jose and the GM does not even have the Oregon school go to that qualifier. All students must qualify at the California qualifier. California has the largest qualifer in the nation. I think Texas is second.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think the Oregon State qualifier is publicized well enough - I've heard many people say they didn't get the notice in time (if at all) and these are students of competitive schools.

:idunno:

Latest Discussions