Sounding goofy, but excited

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is my first time posting in this section of MA Talk. I have read some of the post. Cool topic, just wanted to say hi!!!

Welcome!

Don't be afraid to poke around and ask questions. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, kicks. Do you train with knives at all?

OP
kicksindabank

kicksindabank

Green Belt
Reaction score
In answering about training with knives. No, I am bo staff person. I think knife weapons are awesome. I love to see the kata's with them.

I also think a knife weapon is for special people. I am learning a new weapon dealing with knives. Pray I don't slice or cut myself.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In answering about training with knives. No, I am bo staff person. I think knife weapons are awesome. I love to see the kata's with them.

I also think a knife weapon is for special people. I am learning a new weapon dealing with knives. Pray I don't slice or cut myself.

Kicks, you shouldn't be training with live steel if this is your first time working with knives. Ask your instructor for a training blade that doesn't have a sharp edge. These are often aluminum knives without a cutting surface, but they can also be wood or even hard foam.

If you need a trainer just say the word and I can point you to a few sources where you can by them cheaply. If this isn't an option, train with a plastic knife, train with a table knife, train with a cardboard cutout that looks like a knife, train with a kitchen spatula, but PLEASE don't train with a live blade!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol has given you some wise advice. Don't start your training with what we call a "live blade" - that's a knife with a sharp edge.

No matter what trainer you start with, treat everything you put in your hand for knife training, treat it like a live edged weapon. Don't train alone or without direct training.

Even the best knife fighter will get cut in a fight - it's not a matter of *if* it's *when.*

Train smart. :asian:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome!

Just be careful, knives are addictive! So far I haven't found any 12-step programs for it either!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kicks, you shouldn't be training with live steel if this is your first time working with knives. Ask your instructor for a training blade that doesn't have a sharp edge. These are often aluminum knives without a cutting surface, but they can also be wood or even hard foam.

If you need a trainer just say the word and I can point you to a few sources where you can by them cheaply. If this isn't an option, train with a plastic knife, train with a table knife, train with a cardboard cutout that looks like a knife, train with a kitchen spatula, but PLEASE don't train with a live blade!!

Good advice above and make sure you get some instruction from a qualified person.

OP
kicksindabank

kicksindabank

Green Belt
Reaction score
thank you for the advice. I promise you I am not working with live blades at all. I will be safe!

Again, thank you for the advice.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thank you for the advice. I promise you I am not working with live blades at all. I will be safe!

Again, thank you for the advice.

That's awesome Kicks!

And don't be afraid to keep asking questions. I just wanted to make sure you were safe first. We care about ya. :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

You can even mask the live edge of a blade with electrical tape or something similar instead of training with it "really" live. It's not ideal, but it works.

Latest Discussions