Some training is missing between partner training and sparring/wrestling

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Between the "partner drill" and the "sparring/wrestling", there should be another training and that's the "special technique testing".

For example, within 1 minute, if you can put your hand on your opponent's neck, you win that round. Otherwise, you lose that round. Test this for 15 rounds and record the result. There can be 3 levels of testing here.

1. one directional testing - Your opponent can only play defense.
2. restricted bi-directional testing - your opponent can only do what you try to do on him.
3. free bi-directional testing - your opponent can do anything.

So even with simple testing like this, it can have 3 levels of excitement.

Other similar testing that I like to use by this method are:

Within 1 minute, If I can

1. hit my opponent's head, I win. Otherwise, I lose.
2. get my opponent a head lock, I win. Otherwise, I lose.
3. get my opponent's leading leg, I win. Otherwise, I lose.

Here is an example for test 1. The advantage of this method is it will force you to train one particular technique.

What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm up for any drill, game, set, match or exercise. Sounds like it could be fun, too.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Situational drill. We do them.
Sounds similar to the focus and disadvantage training I do. I focus on one technique in sparring by prohibiting the use of other techniques and by limiting what one person can do while the other person is free to do whatever. For example, fighting with one hand during sparring is good for training footwork. The person who is fighting with one hand has to attack and defend with one hand and because the other hand can't help, the fighter is forced to depend more on their footwork than they normally would be.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm up for any drill, game, set, match or exercise. Sounds like it could be fun, too.

Ok. This is a goober one for you.

Gloves over your head look up at them and then spin around for 20 seconds. Then combos on the focus mits.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Gloves over your head look up at them and then spin around for 20 seconds. Then combos on the focus mits.

Oooh, I'll bet that's just awful! I hate being dizzy.

One of my old trainers used to host training camps on self defense back in the day. He would start by asking for a show of hands as to "how many of you have actually been in a fight?" Just about every hand would go up (whether true or not) Then he would ask "How many of you have ever lost a fight, got really creamed?" Only a couple of hands would go up. He'd look at those few hands and say, "You guys are the only ones that know what real violence is actually about. Let's give everyone an idea of what it feels like in a safe way."

Then he'd have everyone run in place, knees high, really fast. On command, we'd drop down to the floor, then leap up and continue with the knees high. This would go on until everyone was soaked in sweat and out of breath, up down, up down. Then, immediately, he would have everyone spin around until crazy dizzy.

Then, at the sound of his whistle, you were to grab the person nearest you, take them to the ground and start swinging. He would say, "That's what a riot sometimes feels like, except it hurts."

Hell of a way to open a camp.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

We do something similar but being bent over with top of head toward the floor. Spin rapidly 15 revolutions and then thai pad work with kicks & knees.

Latest Discussions