Returning to arts, need Gi help

lifelongstudent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, I have finally got to a place where I can return to martial arts Dojo training. I have practiced Korean arts and few others in past. With my injuries I have decided to start from scratch with Aikido. My issue is that I am confused on finding a Gi that will fit me. First let me say yes, I am out of shape and is why I am returning after many veteran injuries. I am 5'7" 300 pounds with 50" waist. I know I can have the pants and sleeve hemmed, but need help on a gi size to fit. Thank you.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello all, I have finally got to a place where I can return to martial arts Dojo training. I have practiced Korean arts and few others in past. With my injuries I have decided to start from scratch with Aikido. My issue is that I am confused on finding a Gi that will fit me. First let me say yes, I am out of shape and is why I am returning after many veteran injuries. I am 5'7" 300 pounds with 50" waist. I know I can have the pants and sleeve hemmed, but need help on a gi size to fit. Thank you.

I suspect you are going to need a custom-sized gi. The reason is because of your height.

I am large-sized as well, but I'm 5'10". Not quite as big around. I wear a 7 (8 is typically the largest, but they do make bigger ones). I have to have anywhere from 6 to 10 inches cut off the sleeves and legs to fit me. However, what they can't easily tailor is the length of the gi top; so my gi top hangs down a bit, as it's intended for a taller person. In your case, it might hang down a LOT.

However, if you have to buy 'off the rack' then I guess a size 8 is going to fit you in terms of girth; you will have a lot of cutting to do on the pants and sleeves.

I applaud you returning to training! Best of luck, and keep us informed how it goes! You rock.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd call Shureido USA. Shureido is quite expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I'm ordering a gi this afternoon from them. Over the phone, they'll talk you through measuring different parts of your body and will recommend a size. When I spoke to them last time, they said they can custom gis to the measurements you provide.

The gi I'm buying is their middle weight gi, the K-11, which is $179 from them. They have less expensive beginner uniforms. I haven't seen them to be able to give an opinion.

I think it's at least worth a call to see if they can accommodate you and what the price range will be. If they can't or it's too much, all you lost was a few minutes of your time. If they can help you, you won't have to play the game of buying and returning until you get it right.

Shureidousa.com

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
welcome to MartialTalk, LLS1.

Congrats on getting back into the Arts, bro.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go to the club. Try on their gi,s buy one similar.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't know but don't wear it in public people don't seem to like that around here lol

KenpoMD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ronin makes a size 10 gi that would fit you. The sleeves and pants will probably need a good foot or two chopped off but the width will be comfortable. They come in middleweight and heavyweight, but I'd probably go for the middle if I were you. I wear a heavyweight size 5 myself, but the middleweight is going to be a lot cheaper, cooler and easier to hem. Once you lose 50 pounds you can get yourself a nice heavyweight gi! I usually buy at Kinjisan.com and they are very helpful. Any questions just give them a call.

Good luck!