Some questions regarding self defense

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
honestly it's difficult to pick up a trick here & there when it comes to ground fighting. either add some training, or focus on staying on your feet. that will serve you much better than trying to remember a tip you read on the internet, imho.

jf

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
For something very simple try putting both hands on your head so both of your elbows are facing forward (preferably one elbow protecting the centre of your face) and charge towards them. Your elbows slamming into them will certainly put the wind up them as to whether they wish to continue. If you cannot move forward just establishing some kind of base and allowing them to run into your elbows is also effective. Your hands in this position also protect your face from incoming strikes.

Just a thought
Cheers
Sam:asian:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Off the line is the way to go. That's why we practise tsabaki. Depending on the situation you can move in or back. Either way you should have a shot at the ribs, neck or legs, depending on how nasty you need to be.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
An earlier post brought up rugby, I would have done it like a good running back in football. Stiff-arm in the gonzo.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your attacker is running full throttle at you with the intention of knocking you down what should you do? There is not enough time to run away, he has caught you by surprise. Let's say he succeeds in knocking you on the ground and has his knees on your elbows and is having fun hitting you in the face. What can you do to get out of this debacle. Somebody I worked with suggested bringing your knees up and hitting his back with them, causing him to get knocked off you, as his weight is forward. I have a hard time believing this would work, than again I know almost nothing about groundfighting, the guy on the ground in this scenario was me in 8th grade! All informed suggestions appreciated.

I would suggest sidestepping if possible and attempting a kick. However, if you are knocked to the ground, the first you're going to have to do, is recover from the initial takedown, and do your best to put yourself into the best position possible.

Now, if someone is putting their knees on your arms, their body weight is going to be on your chest. This is really no different than having someone mounted on you with their knees high up under your arms. If they succeed in gaining this position, it will be very hard to get them off of you. As far as hitting them in the back with your knees, don't bother as it will not work. Now, let me clarify that. If you are able to reach them, IMO, it really won't be that effective of a hit, as you'll be hitting more with your leg, than with the knee. Your best bet would be to keep both feet on the ground and bump them by bridging onto your shoulders. This should make them fall forward.

I would suggest doing your best to keep your elbows down. This should help in preventing them from moving up onto your chest. Now, from that position, it is possible to bump them, by raising your hips. Securing an arm as well as one of their legs with yours, you should now be able to bridge them off of you. Example

My advise would be to enroll in a good BJJ school. The escapes will make much more sense if you can actually see them live and get the fine points.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your attacker is running full throttle at you with the intention of knocking you down what should you do? There is not enough time to run away, he has caught you by surprise. Let's say he succeeds in knocking you on the ground and has his knees on your elbows and is having fun hitting you in the face. What can you do to get out of this debacle. Somebody I worked with suggested bringing your knees up and hitting his back with them, causing him to get knocked off you, as his weight is forward. I have a hard time believing this would work, than again I know almost nothing about groundfighting, the guy on the ground in this scenario was me in 8th grade! All informed suggestions appreciated.

That's ALL going to depend on a lot more variables than that.

if what you're asking is if you should start working on ground fighting.....the answer is 'YES'! ;)

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's ALL going to depend on a lot more variables than that.

if what you're asking is if you should start working on ground fighting.....the answer is 'YES'! ;)

Joab: Easier said than done, the martial arts community in my area doesn't offer a lot of that, at least not that I'm aware of. I live near Dover, Delaware, if anybody knows of any ground fighting schools in the area please let me know, I'm new to the area.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Joab: Easier said than done, the martial arts community in my area doesn't offer a lot of that, at least not that I'm aware of. I live near Dover, Delaware, if anybody knows of any ground fighting schools in the area please let me know, I'm new to the area.

If all else fails search the internet for some seminars you can make it to, get some books and videos, even some free online videos show some decent techniques, find a buddy and work out with.....where there's a will there's a way.

That's actually how I started WAAAAYYYYYY back in 1993 and I saw my first UFC......NOBODY in Missouri even knew what grappling was (at least in my area of the state)....Tkd was about it for martial arts.......well, I got books, and videos and a group of buddies, and we twisted and rolled each other in the back yard.

Several years later I found formal training in Judo and BJJ (among many other arts i've been exposed to)......and while there's nothing better than formal training, where there's a will there's a way, and a lot of informal training is MUCH better than nothing......

.....and asking the kind of questions you're asking here aren't bad either......

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also played rugby. The basic reflex it gives you is a good one. Get low. Get lower. Brace. Keep good structure. It doesn't matter if you get pushed backwards as long as you stay on your feet.

That might be all you can do in an "Oh ****!" moment. It's a lot better than doing nothing.

If you're really caught flat footed and go down tuck your head and close your mouth - biting through your own tongue really cramps your style.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also played rugby. The basic reflex it gives you is a good one. Get low. Get lower. Brace. Keep good structure. It doesn't matter if you get pushed backwards as long as you stay on your feet.

That might be all you can do in an "Oh ****!" moment. It's a lot better than doing nothing.

If you're really caught flat footed and go down tuck your head and close your mouth - biting through your own tongue really cramps your style.
Yeah, biting through your own tongue would be a real *****!

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest sidestepping if possible and attempting a kick. However, if you are knocked to the ground, the first you're going to have to do, is recover from the initial takedown, and do your best to put yourself into the best position possible.

Now, if someone is putting their knees on your arms, their body weight is going to be on your chest. This is really no different than having someone mounted on you with their knees high up under your arms. If they succeed in gaining this position, it will be very hard to get them off of you. As far as hitting them in the back with your knees, don't bother as it will not work. Now, let me clarify that. If you are able to reach them, IMO, it really won't be that effective of a hit, as you'll be hitting more with your leg, than with the knee. Your best bet would be to keep both feet on the ground and bump them by bridging onto your shoulders. This should make them fall forward.

Joab: That video was really good, although my situation was worse, his knees were on my elbows, so I couldn't move my arms. The buck up and roll would have to be done completely with my body, no arms to help as they were pinned, possible but difficult, easier now that I'm much. much larger and stronger than I was back than.

I would suggest doing your best to keep your elbows down. This should help in preventing them from moving up onto your chest. Now, from that position, it is possible to bump them, by raising your hips. Securing an arm as well as one of their legs with yours, you should now be able to bridge them off of you. Example

My advise would be to enroll in a good BJJ school. The escapes will make much more sense if you can actually see them live and get the fine points.
Joab: I don't know of any such schools in my area, Dover, Delaware, but thanks for the advice.

Latest Discussions