need to speak the language of your system

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good thing to bring up, Shadow. I've been most lax this year in pursuing my goal of learning Japanese - a failure I must work on correcting.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thats the good thing about learning Kajukembo, it is an AMERICAN art, devised using the ENGLISH language

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I speak violence ;)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thats the good thing about learning Kajukembo, it is an AMERICAN art, devised using the ENGLISH language

Because 'kajukembo' flies off the tongue of native english speakers. And was Hawaii even a state in 1947? More of a Hawaiian art then, eh? I mean, I'm just saying.:rofl:

I think learning a little Japanese doesn't hurt anybody. I consider it respectful and traditional.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am currently learning Japanese. Almost finished the first part of the course my teacher has given me: hiragana, katakana, and some basic grammar and vocubulary.

Martial arts is only part of the reason for learning Japanese though. I've always been interested in the culture, and learning it is something I've always wanted to do.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same for me, Bruno.

I've been studying Japanese history since I was at university the first time around and have long wished that I could read sources in their original language.

The 'version' of Japanese used in Iai is so ancient that most 'ordinary' Japanese people don't understand it (like one of us trying to understand Old English).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm learning Chinese (mandarin), mainly to be able to talk with my wife's family and get around by myself when I am in China. But it also is helpful when talking to my Sifu. I tend to find Chinese MA teachers and it does help with that. And if I spoke mandarin it sure have would have come in handy in Beijing when I had an opportunity to train with a Xingyi sifu that scared the hell out of me and spoke no English.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know that being able to speak Cantonese and read Chinese characters would deepen my understanding of Wing Chun, but even my old Chinese sifu doubted that the benefits would justify the enormous effort required. He used to say that if we felt inclined to learn Chinese, Mandarin would probably be a better choice. And Mandarin is still one of the hardest languages for Westerners to learn.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does speaking English make Japanese better baseball players? :)

Are those who don't at a disadvantage?

I think, should they ever have an opportunity to talk baseball with an American player or it would make the experience more enjoyable, however. And it would be VERY important if they were to study the history of baseball.

I feel the same way about hapkido and Korean.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does speaking English make Japanese better baseball players? :)

It might if their fellow players or coaches spoke only English or English and poor Japanese.

Are those who don't at a disadvantage?

In the above examples, perhaps.

I think, should they ever have an opportunity to talk baseball with an American player or it would make the experience more enjoyable, however. And it would be VERY important if they were to study the history of baseball.

I feel the same way about hapkido and Korean.

When I learned some of the various meanings of the word 'rei' in Japanese, it changed my perspective on what I had thought simply meant 'bow'. I feel that improves my karate in a subtle way. It does not make my kicks or punches or blocks better, but it may help make me a better karateka.

Similarly, some of the Japanese words for certain strikes, blocks, kicks, etc - knowing the words helps me understand more of the applications originally intended.

If nothing else - how can it hurt to know a little Japanese (or Korean, Chinese, etc)?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knowing the basics of the language of your system also makes it easier to memorize the names of techniques and understand their meaning.

With some basic understanding, the names are no longer meaningless syllables, but meaningful descriptions. Sometimes. Some of the names and terms are indeed so old that their meaning is either lost, or prety vague.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knowing the basics of the language of your system also makes it easier to memorize the names of techniques and understand their meaning.

With some basic understanding, the names are no longer meaningless syllables, but meaningful descriptions. Sometimes. Some of the names and terms are indeed so old that their meaning is either lost, or prety vague.
YMMV.
I'm learning Kenpo and speak and read English fluently, and yet, I have a hell of a time understanding and differentiating between some of the techniques and concepts.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruno has a point with Japanese. I learned some Japanese before I started training, and even knowing the pronunciation rules can help to some degree. There is a catch though. Martial Arts terminology needs to be treated like any other specialized terminology. The phrases are not always linguistically/grammatically correct, and many terms are not found in the common lexicon. Much like English speakers wouldn't know what a "backwards call indicator" is, unless they were in telecom.

Many folks have an interest in the culture behind their art, esp. if it is a culture other than one's own. Learning a language (IMO) can teach a person a lot more about the culture than simply reading up on historic events. There is a lot of history, meaning, and symbolism in how human beings interact with one another, and that all shines through in the spoken (and written) word. :)

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seeing how most systems are cultural and they spoke the language of their "time and place" we should do the same and speak our language, whatever that may be.

Most Japanese I've heard in MA here in the states would not even be understood by people that speak Japanese

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seeing how most systems are cultural and they spoke the language of their "time and place" we should do the same and speak our language, whatever that may be.

Most Japanese I've heard in MA here in the states would not even be understood by people that speak Japanese

This is an unfortunate tendency that I've seen in the past. Most Japanese I've heard in the past would definitely not be understood by actual Japanese people.

Luckily, my sensei has a masters degree in 'japanology' (don't know how to say this in English) and makes us learn the right pronunciation.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Fortunately, my sensei is half-Japanese and speaks the language. Between that and the time I spent on Okinawa ordering beer, I'm good.

Latest Discussions