MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no.

But, welcome aboard, bro!

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Is there any good parry drills which can be trained solo?

If you get a wooden man and tie a blindfold over your eyes then maybe, but nothing really compares to doing it with a partner.

Reading back what I just wrote there, it seems everything I say can REALLY be misconstrued if the context wasn't there.

Anyway, have fun on the site.
L

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, no. How can you effectively parry something that isn't moving?

I suppose if you had the resources, you could build a wall with a bunch of pneumatically operated fists that would randomly shoot out and hit you if you didn't block them.

I could see the guys at Mythbusters building something like that, but it would likely be beyond most of us.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, no. How can you effectively parry something that isn't moving?

I suppose if you had the resources, you could build a wall with a bunch of pneumatically operated fists that would randomly shoot out and hit you if you didn't block them.

I could see the guys at Mythbusters building something like that, but it would likely be beyond most of us.
I am an engineer. This has tickled my fancy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Solo drill" can be "partner drill" without partner. Is that what we all train at home when training partner is not available?

Not useless, but not the same, either. You can 'go through the motions' by practicing forms or solo drills or whatever you'd like to call them, but it's not the same as actually parrying or blocking something.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not useless, but not the same, either. You can 'go through the motions' by practicing forms or solo drills or whatever you'd like to call them, but it's not the same as actually parrying or blocking something.
Of course the solo training (polish) is not the same as the partner training (develop). So what kind of "solo training" do you prefer to do at home when training partner is not available?

Since "jab, cross" combo is commonly used, the double parry solo drill can be useful with proper footwork.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course the solo training is not the same as the partner training. So what kind of "solo training" do you prefer to do at home when training partner is not available?

Well, my wife is one of our black belt candidates, so I don't really have to worry about it. Our running joke when the weather is nice and we're working outside is that when the neighbors call the police we will tell them "it's not domestic violence, it's part of her training..."

But in general, I think the best you can do solo is practice forms, work on flexibility/balance, and do bag work.
I think that to actually practice parrying, you need to have something to parry.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
to actually practice parrying, you need to have something to parry.
But we are not talking about

- skill "development", or skill "testing" that we do in school, but
- skill "polishing" and skill "enhancement" that we do at home here.

I think that's the OP's question - solo training at home. It can be any solo training besides just the "parry solo training".

For example, here is the "hip throw" solo training.

and here is the "cross, jab" combo solo training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But we are not talking about

- skill "development", or skill "testing" that we do in school, but
- skill "polishing" and skill "enhancement" that we do at home here.

I think that's what the OP's question - solo training at home. It can be anything besides just "parry".

If you say so...
But personally, since the OP asked specifically about parrying, I assume they want to know about, you know... parrying...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you say so...
But personally, since the OP asked specifically about parrying, I assume they want to know about, you know... parrying...
And then we have those who get upset over semantics.
Gotta agree with Dirty Dog. The OP asked: "Is there any good "parry" drills which can be trained solo?"

One can certainly move their arms and body working the gross motions simulating parrying. Problem is parrying requires the proper range, timing, and pressure. That is a bit difficult to train against the air. If one has a dummy then range can be worked and movement to a particular position can be worked; timing and pressure not so much.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be doodling in my notebook for the next day or two.:bookworm:

To the OP though, what art are you practicing? If it's a CMA, those wooden dummies are always a go-to.

And when you get rich off it, remember where the idea came from...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Footwork, along with the parry drills, can be done, but anything done in the air, without a live body, really isn't going to produce too many solid results.

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Sticky hands!

Pak Sao is also good practice. Here is a version of it; it isn't the one I practice, but I think it a good demonstration of one way to practice it.

Latest Discussions