I love the basics!!!

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In some dojangs here in Mexico this is waht we call pee chagui...
the way I do it is with an angle of 45 to 90º of turn this allows me to do a quicker kick to the body than a dollyo chagui to the head.

Manny

Last edited by a moderator:

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dear Manny,
I agree about the importance of basics. However, sometimes I feel it is a little overrated. It's like most schools tend to stick to extremes: completely abandon basics or just don't advance past them. What do I mean? To me basics is of core importance to make the practitioner learn the movements and to refine them. But once you have the movements, we need to start application exercises. So I enjoy progressing from basics to partner drills with right movements that have been previously rehearsed.
So when doing basics I think it is important to adopt practical approaches and mindsets: I think even in linework we should try to mentalize the application of the technique, imagine an opponent receiving it. This also means I prefer some specific kinds of applications and combinations for linework. In my school we almost completely drill sequences of block->punch linework; in my opinion this kind of sequence is good for the beginners, but it is not very practical -- instead I would suggest to use the very blocking motion as an attack. Example: with an are makki/down block, the first part of the movement (the crossed arms) would be a "block"/deflection/grabbing, and the second part would be an attack to the groin/attack to the kidney/arm bar/takedown -- with mandatory use of the pulling hand to grab the opponent's arm, leg or clothing, of course; moving forward but offline with the attacker should be a must, too.
Btw, since the beginning of last year my school's chief instructor decided we should practise linework always starting with a kick (usually front or side kick). I enjoy his idea, but I believe this way we also can make some students totally stop practising a lunge step, because the first advancing motion will always be a kick instead. So I'm highly enthusiast of the most basic basics, instead of using long combinations (particularly when it comes to linework).

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
In some dojangs here in Mexico this is waht we call pee chagui...
the way I do it is with an angle of 45 to 90º of turn this allows me to do a quicker kick to the body than a dollyo chagui to the head.

Manny

Funny that when I click on that video they call in Bandal Chagi and among the recommended videos on the right is this:

That video is actually out of the "Revolution Of Kicking" DVD and in fact shows a part of the Dollyo Chagi chapter. Coz there they show different versions of Dollyo Chagi, including the competition version where the kicking foot is raised in a 45° angle and where the supporting foot may not totally turn to 180°.

Anyway, when you're doing that kick and the other basic kicks do you do it out of basic stances or out of a free fighting stance or stepping?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Funny that when I click on that video they call in Bandal Chagi and among the recommended videos on the right is this:

That video is actually out of the "Revolution Of Kicking" DVD and in fact shows a part of the Dollyo Chagi chapter. Coz there they show different versions of Dollyo Chagi, including the competition version where the kicking foot is raised in a 45° angle and where the supporting foot may not totally turn to 180°.

Anyway, when you're doing that kick and the other basic kicks do you do it out of basic stances or out of a free fighting stance or stepping?

Out of Apkubi, Dwikubi, and Kyreugi Jase, with and without stepping or spinning, on the ground then in the air. Kicking out of these stances emphasises the weight shift that is necessary to move and positive and negative effects that can have on the kicks.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
In some dojangs here in Mexico this is waht we call pee chagui

While we're discussing terminology, Manny is the only person I've ever heard ending the word in chagui rather than chagi. Manny, in your language is the ending gui pronounced "gee"? I wondered if that's where it came from, like I could imagine portugese calling hakdari seogi = rakdari seogi (not that I know they do, but I know r- in portugese is pronounced h-).

I noticed the YouTube video also had it as chagui, but again, the Kukkiwon and everyone I've ever heard (aside from Manny and now this YouTube clip) says chagi.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While we're discussing terminology, Manny is the only person I've ever heard ending the word in chagui rather than chagi. Manny, in your language is the ending gui pronounced "gee"? I wondered if that's where it came from, like I could imagine portugese calling hakdari seogi = rakdari seogi (not that I know they do, but I know r- in portugese is pronounced h-).

I noticed the YouTube video also had it as chagui, but again, the Kukkiwon and everyone I've ever heard (aside from Manny and now this YouTube clip) says chagi.

My Spanish colleague at our place writes chagui too, but pronounces it with the gee sound.

What puzzles me is that Korean instructors sometimes use 'chago' in place of chagi, seemingly at random, e.g. when describing a combination, momtong dollyo chago, bandae dollyo chagi. Any Korean speakers here shed light on the reason for the different word ending?

Gnarlie

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you have a Spanish speaking person translating a Korean word from Hangeul to its phonetic romanization, I'm not suprised there are differences in spelling. :)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and this is why we always used english....lol

in the pursuit of martial skill, it all comes down to basics..

if your basics are good, your karate is good. if not, then not

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Spanish colleague at our place writes chagui too, but pronounces it with the gee sound.

What puzzles me is that Korean instructors sometimes use 'chago' in place of chagi, seemingly at random, e.g. when describing a combination, momtong dollyo chago, bandae dollyo chagi. Any Korean speakers here shed light on the reason for the different word ending?

Gnarlie

The "go" part is a connector like "and." So it makes perfect sense for a combination. The "gi" ending is like a gerund in English, basically making the verb a noun.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions