I love the basics!!!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last class was not so cardio, only one student came early and I a little warm up to then proced to do basics, then two more students arrived and sumed to my class.

What I wanted the students to do was to focus on quality of the tech more than speed, so I placed them infront of ther mirrors.

The exercises were:

1.-Advancing using ap kubi sogi+are makki+paro momtong chirugi 4 times to then go in reverse I mean backwards.

2.-The same as 1 but using ogul makki.

3.-The same as 1 but using momtong makki.

4.-The same as 1 but using yop makki or momtong backat makki.

Kicking.

1.- Ap chagui (advancing).

2.-Peet chagui.

3.-Yop chagui.

Nothing fancy just basic techs but fosing in the entire movements using full power, determination and clean movements.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like a good class.

I read an article recently where high dan and top level kendo competitors were asked about their training. They all said that their training is almost 100% basics. My personal experience is that regardless of the art, basics win fights.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing the more advanced things like throws and such are usually the consequence of you disrupting and penetrating your opponent's center. How do you do that? With solid basics.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love classes when we focus on the basic techniques, mainly cause they are the essential building blocks for the advanced techniques.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
All the kids, and adult, I train I always tell them that nothing beats basics. Without great basics you have nothing else.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The basics are called that for a reason. If they're weak, everything you do will be weak. Buildings won't stand with a weak foundation and neither will a martial artist.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
1.-Advancing using ap kubi sogi+are makki+paro momtong chirugi 4 times to then go in reverse I mean backwards.
2.-The same as 1 but using ogul makki.
3.-The same as 1 but using momtong makki.
4.-The same as 1 but using yop makki or momtong backat makki.

Kicking.

1.- Ap chagui (advancing).
2.-Peet chagui.
3.-Yop chagui.

Manny, Spanish would be easier for me to read, and I don't really know Spanish :). I had asked a Korean master about peet chagui, and he said there was no such kick. So it seems everyone has different names....maybe like spinning roundhouse, tornado, and spinning turning kick....not sure!

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had asked a Korean master about peet chagui, and he said there was no such kick. So it seems everyone has different names....

I think with 'peet' chagi he means a competition version of Dollyeo Chagi (roundhouse kick). In Germany nearly everybody calls it Baldeung Chagi (Instep kick), except for the Koreans who's simply say Momtong Dollyeo Chagi... ^^

When I was in England I heard people call it pit cagi or bit chagi. Still wonder where this comes from.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think with 'peet' chagi he means a competition version of Dollyeo Chagi (roundhouse kick). In Germany nearly everybody calls it Baldeung Chagi (Instep kick), except for the Koreans who's simply say Momtong Dollyeo Chagi... ^^

When I was in England I heard people call it pit cagi or bit chagi. Still wonder where this comes from.

Yeah, I'm British and know it as bit chagi or half turning kick, but you're right everyone here in DE calls it baldeung or dollyo.

Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some of my favourite drills are basic hand tech and stance training with pace, for example:

Single techniques in Apkubi: Arae Makki, Momtong An Makki, Momtong Bakkat Makki, Olgul Makki, closed fist and open hand variants, forwards and backwards.

Basic combination weight shift between Dwikubi and Apkubi, blocking on Dwikubi and striking on Apkubi:
All basic blocks with all basic strikes - jireugi, chigi, tzireugi, joomok, sonnal, palkeup. Be sure to try this backwards.

If people look a bit bored, you can up the physical challenge by making everything 2 handed until the shoulders start to burn:

Basic combination weight shift between Apkubi and Dwikubi, using only two-hand techniques strikes on Apkubi followed by two handed blocks on Dwikubi:

Doosonnal mok chigi, Jebipoom mokchigi, Dangkyo Teok Chireugi, Doojoomok Jecho Jireugi, Dooson Pyonsonkeut Jecho Tzireugi, etc

Kodeureo Sonnal Makki, Kordeureo Sonnaldeung Makki, Otgoreo Makki (Low Middle and High), Hecheo Makki (Low Middle and High), Keumgang Makki etc

All drilled forwards and backwards, and turning around.

Basic sequences lifted out of the poomsae work really well too.

Drilled with pace, minimum of one technique or combination every second or so for 20 minutes works up a good sweat and gets people smiling, especially when the seniors have trouble with a basic two handed combo! This typically happens with Jebipoom as we only do it on one side in the Taegeuk Poomsae, so as soon as you move it to the other side, people freak out, especially when turning around. It's an interesting way to take their minds off the repetitive physical stance training.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Although not a practitioner of TKD I think it goes for all styles that the simplest basic techniques are usually the most effective. In a self defense situation, 90% of the techniques I use are non flashy basic stuff.

Besides, like was stated earlier, without a firm foundation you can't build a stable structure. Gotta have the basics, or the other stuff doesn't work. So cheers and have fun training :)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm British and know it as bit chagi or half turning kick, but you're right everyone here in DE calls it baldeung or dollyo.

Likewise (being British and learning bit chagi) but to my mind we've practiced bit chagi much longer than anyone else. I believe most other modern KKW/WTF style kickers now turn their kick over to be parallel to the floor. Bit/Beet chagi is a half-turning kick so comes up at a 45 degree angle. The risk with that is instep kicking to the opponents elbow (when holding a guard up), which kicking at parallel (90 degrees) avoids.

I'm certainly trying to train my guys out of saying bit chagi and trying to get them kicking more "over" even when going to the body.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Likewise (being British and learning bit chagi) but to my mind we've practiced bit chagi much longer than anyone else. I believe most other modern KKW/WTF style kickers now turn their kick over to be parallel to the floor. Bit/Beet chagi is a half-turning kick so comes up at a 45 degree angle. The risk with that is instep kicking to the opponents elbow (when holding a guard up), which kicking at parallel (90 degrees) avoids.

I'm certainly trying to train my guys out of saying bit chagi and trying to get them kicking more "over" even when going to the body.

I agree, I think bit chagi comes from a time when it was viewed as the quickest way from the ground to the target, but since those times there have been developments in body mechanics around kicking with dollyo.

Dollyo can now be raised pretty much straight towards the opponent with the full hip turnover only happening at the last nanosecond as the kick reaches the target, making the line from ground to target shorter and straighter with a no loss of power compared to the 45 degree kick.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, I think bit chagi comes from a time when it was viewed as the quickest way from the ground to the target, but since those times there have been developments in body mechanics around kicking with dollyo.

Dollyo can now be raised pretty much straight towards the opponent with the full hip turnover only happening at the last nanosecond as the kick reaches the target, making the line from ground to target shorter and straighter with a no loss of power compared to the 45 degree kick.

The funny thing is most modern players don't seem to have quite the same extent of knee bend action that we use when kicking. I can't bring myself to teach turning kicks but not worrying about the amount of knee bend though...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm all for bending the knee too. There's something I don't understand in keeping it straight - mechanically it seems like a waste of energy and a drain on muscular endurance not to bend the knee. The kicker has to do so much more work against gravity in lifting or throwing the the leg, and it slows the progression of the knee towards the target as a result. Has anyone ever given you an adequate explanation as to why they don't bend?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, Spanish would be easier for me to read, and I don't really know Spanish :). I had asked a Korean master about peet chagui, and he said there was no such kick. So it seems everyone has different names....maybe like spinning roundhouse, tornado, and spinning turning kick....not sure!

Peet chagui for us (at least in Jido Kwan Mexico) is a short round/roundhose kick to the mid section of the body, th foot on the ground tuurns no more than 90º as oposed to Dollyo Chagui that is a full roundhouse kick to the head area turning completly the body. I hope you get it if not I will try to find a clip on you tube ans put it here.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Peet chagui for us (at least in Jido Kwan Mexico) is a short round/roundhose kick to the mid section of the body, th foot on the ground tuurns no more than 90º as oposed to Dollyo Chagui that is a full roundhouse kick to the head area turning completly the body. I hope you get it if not I will try to find a clip on you tube ans put it here.

Manny
I've never heard the kick being termed that way, but I appreciate the description. :)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of my favourite drills are basic hand tech and stance training with pace, for example:

Single techniques in Apkubi: Arae Makki, Momtong An Makki, Momtong Bakkat Makki, Olgul Makki, closed fist and open hand variants, forwards and backwards.

Basic combination weight shift between Dwikubi and Apkubi, blocking on Dwikubi and striking on Apkubi:
All basic blocks with all basic strikes - jireugi, chigi, tzireugi, joomok, sonnal, palkeup. Be sure to try this backwards.

If people look a bit bored, you can up the physical challenge by making everything 2 handed until the shoulders start to burn:

Basic combination weight shift between Apkubi and Dwikubi, using only two-hand techniques strikes on Apkubi followed by two handed blocks on Dwikubi:

Doosonnal mok chigi, Jebipoom mokchigi, Dangkyo Teok Chireugi, Doojoomok Jecho Jireugi, Dooson Pyonsonkeut Jecho Tzireugi, etc

Kodeureo Sonnal Makki, Kordeureo Sonnaldeung Makki, Otgoreo Makki (Low Middle and High), Hecheo Makki (Low Middle and High), Keumgang Makki etc

All drilled forwards and backwards, and turning around.

Basic sequences lifted out of the poomsae work really well too.

Drilled with pace, minimum of one technique or combination every second or so for 20 minutes works up a good sweat and gets people smiling, especially when the seniors have trouble with a basic two handed combo! This typically happens with Jebipoom as we only do it on one side in the Taegeuk Poomsae, so as soon as you move it to the other side, people freak out, especially when turning around. It's an interesting way to take their minds off the repetitive physical stance training.

I complete agree that's the way I like to do class.

Manny

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good class.

I read an article recently where high dan and top level kendo competitors were asked about their training. They all said that their training is almost 100% basics. My personal experience is that regardless of the art, basics win fights.

+1

In many regards, the truest level of 'mastery' is how well the basics are performed.