Social Sanctions in Taekwondo Class

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK we have the Amateur Martial Association (AMA), where in order to be recognised as an instructor with them you

Well no, 'we' don't have it. It is one of many businesses that organise insurance, certificates, grading books and advise on things like health and safety, child protection agencies etc. They don't recognise all instructors only those that pay to use them. There are many other organisations that do the same, none of them are authorities that can recognise instructors as being 'qualified' other than because the instructors above them say they are or they pay to register. Other organisations which are the same are NAKMAS, FEKO, BMABA, WMIAA, UKASKO,WAKO,BCA, etc etc.
Your instructors have signed up with AMA, it doesn't mean they are actually qualified instructors I'm afraid just that they chose to join that business to get their insurance etc.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been taking Martial Arts classes for a long time, still take them to this day. Can't recall how many different people taught classes, wouldn't even hazard a guess. Can't recall one I didn't care for, not even the drill instructor type, which really isn't my style. Sure, I enjoy some more than others, no-brainer there, but I'm not there to "like" anybody. While in class - it's for me, not him. By continuing to take classes, I not only grow, I absorb various nuances of teaching style, communication skills, see and feel things I might not have felt had I stopped taking classes - regardless of who the hell is teaching.

This mean man of an instructor, who we've been vilifying that crap out of....

What's your guess as to how long this poster's actually been training? A month? Three? Let's look at some of the things they said to us - which I'm sure is as truthful and accurate as an abacus, and not slanted in anyway what-so-ever in their favor.

"Every time I'm faced with these ultimatums, I'm more and more tempted to stand up and give a little lecture on social sanctions and their effectiveness in long-term relationships, and then refuse to participate"

"But really... sucking it up is not something I do. I wish it were... that'd most certainly be the easiest solution"

"as opposed to the lens I was born with, which is negative, angry, selfish, frustrated, and a host of other undesirable traits"

" I can go to however many classes taught by whoever I want,"

Maybe we should take what they've said with a grain of salt. Haven't heard back from them since day one, anyway. Who knows, maybe they marched into class the next day and demanded......a Shrubbery!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have? I'm under the impression that most of the replies have been along the lines of, "That's his teaching style. Suck it up, talk to him, or don't take his classes." Most of the replies don't seem to be particularly vilifying to me. <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well no, 'we' don't have it. It is one of many businesses that organise insurance, certificates, grading books and advise on things like health and safety, child protection agencies etc. They don't recognise all instructors only those that pay to use them. There are many other organisations that do the same, none of them are authorities that can recognise instructors as being 'qualified' other than because the instructors above them say they are or they pay to register. Other organisations which are the same are NAKMAS, FEKO, BMABA, WMIAA, UKASKO,WAKO,BCA, etc etc.
Your instructors have signed up with AMA, it doesn't mean they are actually qualified instructors I'm afraid just that they chose to join that business to get their insurance etc.

Yes it is a business but at the same time they have standards to follow, meaning if you learn under a student that is ratified with the AMA, they will at least have the basics of a DBS check, some kind of coaching qualification and first aid qualifications. That's about as good as it gets without proper government authority stepping in, and it's a hell of a lot better than nothing at all. I've been part of similar situations and organisations in the past that work in a very similar manner. For example as a scuba diving instructor I was a member of PADI, and as a swimming teacher I am a member of the Amateur Swimming Association. They make sure that I teach in a safe manner and that I keep all my qualifications and training up to date.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a business but at the same time they have standards to follow, meaning if you learn under a student that is ratified with the AMA, they will at least have the basics of a DBS check, some kind of coaching qualification and first aid qualifications. That's about as good as it gets without proper government authority stepping in, and it's a hell of a lot better than nothing at all. I've been part of similar situations and organisations in the past that work in a very similar manner. For example as a scuba diving instructor I was a member of PADI, and as a swimming teacher I am a member of the Amateur Swimming Association. They make sure that I teach in a safe manner and that I keep all my qualifications and training up to date.

Anyone who works or teaches children has to have a DBS here.
The AMA as I said isn't the only organisation that does all this, I don't know any martial arts class/school or gym that doesn't belong to one of them. When you posted up you gave the impression that is was the only organisation that does this and was officially recognised.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it is a business but at the same time they have standards to follow, meaning if you learn under a student that is ratified with the AMA, they will at least have the basics of a DBS check, some kind of coaching qualification and first aid qualifications.
The YMCA does that. The USJA does that. Lots of orgs do that. Just not the government.

That's about as good as it gets without proper government authority stepping in,
"Proper government authority?" Government regulation of martial arts? That's a terrible idea.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The YMCA does that. The USJA does that. Lots of orgs do that. Just not the government.

"Proper government authority?" Government regulation of martial arts? That's a terrible idea.
I agree that many groups do try to validate. This is difficult to do, however. The YMCA I have been teaching at (not as an employee - had an agreement to use the space) didn't validate anything. The rec center I'm moving to validated my rank, but that consisted of me sending them a copy of my promotion certificate. The organization I ranked under didn't issue instructor certificates (it was understood within the org that shodan was teaching certification - student teaching was part of the requirement for that rank), so nothing I gave them shows I'm certified to teach. And that rank is not valid for what I teach now - the ranking system for Shojin-ryu doesn't align with the ranking system for mainline NGA.

This all, of course, is why it would be a bad idea for government to try to regulate this.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that many groups do try to validate. This is difficult to do, however. The YMCA I have been teaching at (not as an employee - had an agreement to use the space) didn't validate anything. The rec center I'm moving to validated my rank, but that consisted of me sending them a copy of my promotion certificate. The organization I ranked under didn't issue instructor certificates (it was understood within the org that shodan was teaching certification - student teaching was part of the requirement for that rank), so nothing I gave them shows I'm certified to teach. And that rank is not valid for what I teach now - the ranking system for Shojin-ryu doesn't align with the ranking system for mainline NGA.

This all, of course, is why it would be a bad idea for government to try to regulate this.
The Y requires a background check so they're certain they're not employing a pedo, rapist, or murderer. Also required a super-basic certification in Concussion from NFHS. USJA requires a separate background check and a super-basic certification in Concussions from the CDC. No, the USJA won't accept the NFHS cert and the Y doesn't seem to accept the CDC cert. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rec center I'm moving to validated my rank, but that consisted of me sending them a copy of my promotion certificate

That's what all the organisations do here, you send them your certificates and some money and voila you're accredited. A lot of them do their own gradings but of course they are only valid in that organisation.
Many sports organisations such as British Judo are recognised by Sports England/Scotland, (a government agency which promotes sports and sporting events to get more public awareness and participation, it helps with funding etc.) and the Olympic Committee but none are regulated or run by the government. They wouldn't want the bother, there's enough to do with 'Brexit' lol.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

There's no way the government could regulate martial arts instructors in terms of their martial arts teaching qualifications, for exactly the reasons you mention, but..... I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for a local government to expect that people who teach children (whether it's martial arts or softball or dance or whatever) get a background check and maybe have taken a basic sports safety class. I think that could potentially be done without being excessively burdensome.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way the government could regulate martial arts instructors in terms of their martial arts teaching qualifications, for exactly the reasons you mention, but..... I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for a local government to expect that people who teach children (whether it's martial arts or softball or dance or whatever) get a background check and maybe have taken a basic sports safety class. I think that could potentially be done without being excessively burdensome.

People who work with children and vulnerable young people in any capacity are required here to have a DBS check. It is a government scheme in conjunction with the police.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure it solves a real problem, but it would certainly put parents' minds at ease at very little cost.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been taking Martial Arts classes for a long time, still take them to this day. Can't recall how many different people taught classes, wouldn't even hazard a guess. Can't recall one I didn't care for, not even the drill instructor type, which really isn't my style. Sure, I enjoy some more than others, no-brainer there, but I'm not there to "like" anybody. While in class - it's for me, not him. By continuing to take classes, I not only grow, I absorb various nuances of teaching style, communication skills, see and feel things I might not have felt had I stopped taking classes - regardless of who the hell is teaching.

What's your guess as to how long this poster's actually been training? A month? Three? Let's look at some of the things they said to us - which I'm sure is as truthful and accurate as an abacus, and not slanted in anyway what-so-ever in their favor.

"Every time I'm faced with these ultimatums, I'm more and more tempted to stand up and give a little lecture on social sanctions and their effectiveness in long-term relationships, and then refuse to participate"

"But really... sucking it up is not something I do. I wish it were... that'd most certainly be the easiest solution"

"as opposed to the lens I was born with, which is negative, angry, selfish, frustrated, and a host of other undesirable traits"

" I can go to however many classes taught by whoever I want,"

Maybe we should take what they've said with a grain of salt. Haven't heard back from them since day one, anyway. Who knows, maybe they marched into class the next day and demanded......a Shrubbery!

Where i won't waste my time with toxic personalities in an activity i am choosing to pursue. I don't need their skill that badly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we haven't experienced taking a class under the instructor the OP dislikes so much we can't really tell what his teaching style is. The OP may well be a young teenager in a class of teenagers who mess around and that has made him decide on that teaching style for that class. Perhaps that class has the instructor it deserves.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where i won't waste my time with toxic personalities in an activity i am choosing to pursue. I don't need their skill that badly.

I wouldn't waste my time with a toxic personality, either. Don't know many who would.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All good advice. I suggest three things:
  1. realize that your legs are shock absorbers. Keep your joints flexible as you move, and let your muscles absorb impact. You do need to control the firmness, so it's not an entirely passive thing.
  2. when you're doing drills, try to keep your head at the same level -- no bouncing. this will lead you to use the absorption in point 1.
  3. be aware of which foot is taking weight, and be ready to push off that foot at any time. When you do push off, distribute the effort through your entire body if you can.
One more thing, if you have time: try dance lessons, keeping points 1 and 2 in mind.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
All good advice. I suggest three things:
  1. realize that your legs are shock absorbers. Keep your joints flexible as you move, and let your muscles absorb impact. You do need to control the firmness, so it's not an entirely passive thing.
  2. when you're doing drills, try to keep your head at the same level -- no bouncing. this will lead you to use the absorption in point 1.
  3. be aware of which foot is taking weight, and be ready to push off that foot at any time. When you do push off, distribute the effort through your entire body if you can.
One more thing, if you have time: try dance lessons, keeping points 1 and 2 in mind.
Awesome advice! I do feel perhaps it was maybe meant for this thread... 🤣

Latest Discussions