So you are a black belt, that must mean you can beat me up right?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just curious if any of you all have been in a similar scenario where you expose your rank (not particularly showing it off) you could have known the other person for a long time, and you get certain responses like: so that means you can beat the crap out of anyone, or that must mean you can beat my tail sort of thing.

If this has ever happened to you, I am curious as to how you have dealt with these or similar scenario's.

=)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, since I'm not a BB yet, I don't have an answer to that question. But that reaction from people seems common, and understandable. When you don't know any martial arts, and you hear that someone's a BB, that conjures up images of someone who can handle anything. It may make some people uncomfortable to think they could be helpless against you so they joke, or maybe taunt a bit to boost their comfort level. Then again, some people are just idiots...lol. Not quite sure how I'd handle it..I guess it would depend on my relationship with the person who said it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not a black belt nor am I a master, I train Chinese martial arts. But I have run into this and I generally say "No. I know better" If pushed I tell them I am certain they could kick my....well you get the idea.

They feel they have proven or accomplished something and I frankly would rather have them feel they are tough, right, scary, big and bad, etc. than having to actually get into a fight to prove them either right or wrong. If I am confident in what I can do I do not need to prove it to anyone.

But as I have gotten older, I tend not to tell many people I train martial arts, I seem to encounter fewer idiots that way.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a black belt, but I have ran into people saying "so, you can beat me up (or so-n-so up), right?" I've gotten to the point I don't tell many people about training, unless it comes up.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I am just curious if any of you all have been in a similar scenario where you expose your rank (not particularly showing it off) you could have known the other person for a long time, and you get certain responses like: so that means you can beat the crap out of anyone, or that must mean you can beat my tail sort of thing.

If this has ever happened to you, I am curious as to how you have dealt with these or similar scenario's.

=)
I'd agree with Jade Tigress - this attitude is so commonplace it's generally accepted as a truth by those who do not practise an art.

I say use this perception. We all know that possession of a BB in no ways gives us either the capability or the desire to "beat the crap out of anyone" but at the same time it can be a useful reputation to have. Because when push comes to shove [literally!] avoidance of confrontational situations is possible I believe purely by the understanding that, if provoked - you can indeed beat the crap out of anyone. Whether this is subsequently true or not is irrelevant, aggressors are often unwilling to attempt a "disprove" of that perception!

I've seen this black-belt-perception effect used well in a fellow-practitioner's work situation - where often the threat from an aggressor is not physical. Once the possession of a BB fact became common-knowledge, the agressor did indeed slink away.

Interesting thread...

Respects!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard a different version that of which I am equally sick of.. Someone will admit that they study the MA and some idiot will ALWAYS say "I know a guy that kicked a black belts ***."

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

=)

When someone finds out that I train in the Martial Arts, they usually don't ask for my rank and I don't offer it. Sometimes someone might say "Hey you could kick the crap out of someone." or something to that effect. My general response is.... Mabey but I would never under estimate my opponent. This doesn't happen very often since I am 37 years old and associate with more mature people.

OP
evenflow1121

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
I've heard a different version that of which I am equally sick of.. Someone will admit that they study the MA and some idiot will ALWAYS say "I know a guy that kicked a black belts ***."

I have to agree that attitude is quite common.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:

I've heard that a lot as well.

Being a bouncer, I also get a lot of similar situations. Some people defer to you in, well, I'm loathe to use the word 'fear', but I guess it is. They defer to you for fear of what you might be capable of. Then you get others who want to toe the line to prove to themselves they are just as tough as a bouncer. You have to weigh each situation up individually and determine the best response to their behaviour.

Just tonight I had to give a warning to a guy for some bad behaviour. My sister, who works behind the bar in the same venue, tells me a few minutes later that this guy is boasting about how I was lucky I didn't try to kick him out, because he was going to 'mess me up' (well, he worded it a bit more strongly, but you get the idea). Later that night I did have to kick him out, and I was preparing myself for a forceful ejection. Instead this guy goes all submissive and walks out quiet as a lamb. I guess his beer muscles had deflated a bit when push came to shove.

I developed a bit of a reputation at my last local watering hole as the crazy killer kung fu guy. Where I lived was a very small rural community (a dozen houses, a general store and a pub) and everyone knew I did martial arts because I had the garage set up as a gym, and practiced my patterns on the front lawn. When I got a few drinks in me, people would press me to show them stuff, and I would oblige. It was a bit of a two edged sword. All the regulars and the staff were friends, but occasionally blow-ins would cause trouble, and more than once I had to calm things down. People would expect me to be right in the fray, but instead I'd talk the regulars down.

"Come on, we can take them! You're the kung fu guy!" they'd say.

"Sure, but then what? You want to get charged for assault? And even if we win, whose to say we don't get hurt, or pick up some kind of disease? You feel like getting heptatitis tonight? Trust me, the best fight is the one you aren't in."

Most of the time I think they were relieved they didn't have to fight.

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
I teach Tang Soo Do in a small town. A lot of people introduce me as a "black belt". It gets old, but I try to turn the conversation to the advantages of practicing martial arts.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

=)

While in an engineering environment, working around lots of cables on the floor and strong just above the floor in a tight area, one guy pushed me.

I fell and landed jsut fine. got up and asked him why the hell did he do that? He replied I thought you were a black belt, you could defend yourself.

My reply, "I did, I did not get hurt, but do you know what went through my mind when you pushed me? I could have brought you with me and then I might have gotten hurt with you fallen on me. I might have hurt you if your head hit something on the way down. I could have brought you with me and put you on the bottom making sure I did not get hurt but almost ensuring that you would get hurt. So, I chose to fall and no one got hurt and no paper work and no one looses their job. Next time I will make sure you fall also."

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really tell people my rank. Coung Nhu rank is to hard to explain to outsiders. I do tell them I do a Vietnamese style of martial arts. Past that I let them figure it out for themselves.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been in this one as well - and I tend to talk less about my involvement in TKD than I used to because of it - especially with the middle school students I teach... after a while, I got tired of being asked if I could break a student desk.

In other settings, I have had similar problems - not from people asking me if I could beat up individual people, but if I could win over 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 people... against 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 people with knives... with guns... if attacked while asleep... etc. I usually answer that there is always someone smarter, faster, stronger, better trained, more flexible, armed (which I'm not, unless you count a miniature Swiss army knife that I keep in my purse... with a whopping inch-long blade) and that I will, therefore, avoid fights whenever possible.

I was at a friend's house one day and her husband decided to startle me to see what would happen (by goosing me in the ribs from behind)... luckily for him, I realized what was going on in time to stop the back snap kick I had aimed at his groin. He's never tried that one again.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

=)
I just tell people that anyone can get a black belt nowadays, and that its nothing special at all these days to have one from most schools.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only time I ever tell anyone of my MA skills, experience(s), abilities is when I find that they too are MA-ist and/or have expressed an interest in Martial Arts. Until then I say nothing and let them think what they want to think.
Whenever I have come across someone who brags, boasts, or thinks their third leg is bigger than mine, I relent and bow (internally) to their (imagined) "superiority" and let them be big boys. I will hold my hands up peacefully and back off quietly letting them win whatever supposed superiority contest they think they're in. I have a line that I don't let people cross, I will extend that as far out as I can given the circumstances. If they're friends and just fooling around then they'll know when to back off as well. If strangers (i.e. in a bar or other public gathering... which I don't go into bars anymore so the point here is moot), then I'll switch to a defense mode and wait for the opportunity to whatever to get out of whatever the situation it is building up into.

I've learned that basically... it's none of my business what anyone else thinks until they express their thoughts to me. And then, I'll listen to what they are saying and go from there.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I just tell people that anyone can get a black belt nowadays, and that its nothing special at all these days to have one from most schools.

That statement is WAY over-generalized and very demeaning to the black belts who have earned their rank and all that goes with it, ie respect.

I don't know how many good schools are out there, probably a good many. I run into alot of reputable black belts both here on MartialTalk and at tournaments so you can't lump everyone into the same pot.

As far as getting that statement, I take it as an opportunity to educate the person stating it. I tell them no, we don't go around beating people up, that is not the purpose of learning martial arts. If anything we learn to avoid confrontation/conflict more. I tell them the tenets of TKD, courtesy, integrity, self-control, indomitable spirit and perserverance. That's what we mostly deal with while we are learning all that technique in TKD and oh yeah, we could beat someone up, but only in self-defense. TW

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
That statement is WAY over-generalized and very demeaning to the black belts who have earned their rank and all that goes with it, ie respect.

I don't know how many good schools are out there, probably a good many. I run into alot of reputable black belts both here on MartialTalk and at tournaments so you can't lump everyone into the same pot.

As far as getting that statement, I take it as an opportunity to educate the person stating it. I tell them no, we don't go around beating people up, that is not the purpose of learning martial arts. If anything we learn to avoid confrontation/conflict more. I tell them the tenets of TKD, courtesy, integrity, self-control, indomitable spirit and perserverance. That's what we mostly deal with while we are learning all that technique in TKD and oh yeah, we could beat someone up, but only in self-defense. TW
Sorry if that comes out wrong, I dont mean to group up the reputable black belts in my statements, just the mcdojo types.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pretty interesting topic-

My older brother (I am 35 he is 49) has always been a tattoo-ed biker-bar guy and he occasionally boasts about confrontations he has had and how everyone at that bar thinks he is a Karate Zen tough guy- He has no real training, Then he tells me to be careful if I ever go in there (which I don't), because even though I am a BB he says, I would be no match for those folks.

I suppose I may never know and that is fine with me, but I think it is funny since he has not seen me do any martial arts since about 1991 when I was a 21 yrs old orange belt in TKD- Also, I know size does not make a big difference but I am 6'3", 235 lbs. I laugh it off and go train while he gets another dragon tattoo-

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always just say yea, and them beat the crap out of the guy, just so we're "clear"...

Okay seriously. I always just say, naw, I'm harmless. :wink2:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:

=)

Most of the time, I avoid talking about my training due to the fact that these as well as other non-serious questions, usually arise. If someone is serious about their question, I have no problem discusssing the arts. As for the question you mention above, I usually say that a BB does not necessarily turn you into a Superman. Granted, you should have an edge over the average person, but it does not mean that you can't be beat.

Mike

Latest Discussions