The benefits of blending styles!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have just been doing Wing Chun and though I found it slow to begin wiht I am finding it really fun and interesting! I have been training in Shaolin Long Fist for 7 years and have found that a lot of what I do in that is shown in Wing chun but the movements aren't as long although very effective. There is some conflict in as much as I have to remember to use the correct Wing chun stance as opposed to going into a Shaolin stance.
I think doing Wing chun will greatly improve my skills in sparring and self defence and a great system for close up fighting as well as learning to be relaxed. I don't think there is much ground work or throws in Wing chun so my other style will help there.

Also in my Shaolin class there are other people who have started training in other arts such as Jeet kune do which uses a lot of techniques to take down a person. A couple of weeks a go this guy was showing us a take technique where the attacker punches, you block, counter and use 3 or 4 techniques and then take them down or get them into a headlock. This I thought looked hard. If this was out in the street I would need something easier to remember!

Another guy in my class has been training in Taekwondo in while doing kung fu and has also started Jeet Kune do. He is also quite acrobatic too but i think he does that more for fun.

I think it is very beneficial to train in another art, but only when you have grasped the basics of one Art and got to a very high level in that Art.
What are you opinions?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why bother differentiating styles? Why not learn TKD and Boxing at the same time, and just call it all martial arts?

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I learn Judo, HKD, Boxing and Goju!

it gives me everything I need to turn mr into a rounded fighter.....learning HKD and aikido would be silly...I think it depends on how you mix your arts!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tony said:
I think it is very beneficial to train in another art, but only when you have grasped the basics of one Art and got to a very high level in that Art.
What are you opinions?

Agreed. I have trained in several arts, some more thoroughly than others, but I enjoy it tremendously and I believe it is beneficial.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony said:
I have just been doing Wing Chun and though I found it slow to begin wiht I am finding it really fun and interesting! I have been training in Shaolin Long Fist for 7 years and have found that a lot of what I do in that is shown in Wing chun but the movements aren't as long although very effective. There is some conflict in as much as I have to remember to use the correct Wing chun stance as opposed to going into a Shaolin stance.
I think doing Wing chun will greatly improve my skills in sparring and self defence and a great system for close up fighting as well as learning to be relaxed. I don't think there is much ground work or throws in Wing chun so my other style will help there.

Also in my Shaolin class there are other people who have started training in other arts such as Jeet kune do which uses a lot of techniques to take down a person. A couple of weeks a go this guy was showing us a take technique where the attacker punches, you block, counter and use 3 or 4 techniques and then take them down or get them into a headlock. This I thought looked hard. If this was out in the street I would need something easier to remember!

Another guy in my class has been training in Taekwondo in while doing kung fu and has also started Jeet Kune do. He is also quite acrobatic too but i think he does that more for fun.

What are you opinions?
Its great to bounce around and learn as much as you can. After all, you dont want to miss out on anything good, so its best to learn every thing you can just to make sure.

Latest Discussions