So what is the origin of TKD

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
After reading much about Tae Kwon Do here on MT and realizing even though I at one time did train TKD I know little about its actual origin. I do realize much has been discussed here but I recently went to my old teachers Web page and found his

Taekwon-do is an art of self-defense whose techniques come largely from the ancient Korean martial art of Taek-kyon, the origins of which date back about 1,300 years. The system of Taekwon-do in its present form was formally introduced in 1955.

That led me to here

Taekkyeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekkyeon

Taekkyon History - Turtlepress
http://www.turtlepress.com/info_taekkyon_history.asp

Is TKD a descendant of Teakkyeon?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is there an emoticon for "oh, lordy, here we go again" ??

Oh man the very first time I start a post in the TKD section and now you tell me I'm starting trouble.

Sorry it was not my intension it was a serious question. To any moderator if this is a problem thread please delete it.

Thanks
XS
:asian:

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Asking about the history of TKD is like asking which religion our political party is right. There are many different variations and themes, all of the believers in each variation "know" they are right and will prove it with lots of stories, anecdotes and mythology.

Almost all of the factions say that Japanese Karate had an influence on TKD. How much of an influence, when, why how and other questions will lead you deeper into the swamp. Eventually you will sink into a quicksand of "he said, she said" statements.

Stay away from discussing the history of TKD. You will have more success teaching a pig to fly (given enough thrust it can) than you will finding the one true path through history.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
N/P XS but the issue of the origin of TKD, especially in relationship to Taekyon , and a few related subjects seems to be coming up almost once every few weeks (and often intrudes on other threads as well) :)

and as mentioned above..it's a rather... contentious issue

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best thing, XS, is just to look over some of the more representative recent threads to get a sense of what's at issue. Will be back with a link or two shortly. Those of us who were in these debates are pretty tired (and tired of them)—the (soon to be identified) following will give you an idea why.

OK, check out these three, for starters:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32145
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59861
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3898

Read 'em in excruciating detail and you'll see what FF and I are getting at!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have we not beaten this poor dead horse enough, man it just cannot be let go of. Let see if I can get everything down in also in order for everyone.

Korea itself was and is a small country, before TKD there was none, TKD became so great mainly because of a few pioneers that brought life into a New Art just to name a few
icon10.gif
ME and ME
icon10.gif
again if was not for me there would be no TKD plain and simple. I hope this can shed some light on the history and ego of ME.
icon10.gif
:bow::bow::bow:

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have we not beaten this poor dead horse enough, man it just cannot be let go of. Let see if I can get everything down in also in order for everyone.

Korea itself was and is a small country, before TKD there was none, TKD became so great mainly because of a few pioneers that brought life into a New Art just to name a few
icon10.gif
ME and ME
icon10.gif
again if was not for me there would be no TKD plain and simple. I hope this can shed some light on the history and ego of ME.
icon10.gif
:bow::bow::bow:

I find this very fasinating. Is Me his first name and was he from China. I heard of Me Du Won but wasn't sure if this was the same Me.

Mike

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find this very fasinating. Is Me his first name and was he from China. I heard of Me Du Won but wasn't sure if this was the same Me.

Mike

No not the same me this me is ME So Dumb, it is one of the very early kwon which dates back to India and there ancient art of fighting. By the way the book is comming out and I have all ready sold the movie rights for a nickel.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's such a big event that Coca-Cola AND Pepsi are co-sponsoring the official "2008 TKD History Free SummerFest!!"

So grab a Coke or a Pepsi, and discuss anything but TKD History all Summer! :lol:

j/k ;)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And I thought CMA lineage was an rough issue...sheeesh :D

My bad sorry...

Mods, feel free to remove this thread from the face of the earth

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I for one, think coca-cola is the superior soft drink and when you drink it it gives you the "Real TKD."

....sorry, couldn't resist :)

It's such a big event that Coca-Cola AND Pepsi are co-sponsoring the official "2008 TKD History Free SummerFest!!"

So grab a Coke or a Pepsi, and discuss anything but TKD History all Summer! :lol:

j/k ;)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I thought CMA lineage was an rough issue...sheeesh :D

My bad sorry...

Mods, feel free to remove this thread from the face of the earth

Xue sorry I was just playing around but for a serious decussion I will do by PM so it does not get heated.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
can open.......................worms everywhere

After reading much about Tae Kwon Do here on MT and realizing even though I at one time did train TKD I know little about its actual origin. I do realize much has been discussed here but I recently went to my old teachers Web page and found his

That led me to here

Taekkyeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekkyeon

Taekkyon History - Turtlepress
http://www.turtlepress.com/info_taekkyon_history.asp

Is TKD a descendant of Teakkyeon?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue sorry I was just playing around but for a serious decussion I will do by PM so it does not get heated.

Thanks

And don't EVER let me catch ANY of you in the CMA forum asking lineage questions :ticked: :uhyeah: :D

Just kidding

I was not aware that this was such a touchy topic, if I had been aware of this I would not have made this post at all and gone about looking into it via other means.

Like I have said before when I did train TKD I really did not care about its history or any MA history for that matter. Hell I was young and could actually train as much as I wanted to then.... without many additional responsibilities&#8230;. Oh and not much pain then either&#8230;. So that is what I did&#8230; train.

Sorry about posting the potentially inflammatory post :asian:

Next on the agenda is an MMA vs. TMA post followed by a post about the origin of Taijiquan which I am convinced was started by some Taoist guy named Walter that lived on the lower east side of Harbin. :D

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I have said before when I did train TKD I really did not care about its history or any MA history for that matter. Hell I was young and could actually train as much as I wanted to then.... without many additional responsibilities….

I still don't actually :) Like I've alluded before "if it helps me punch harder, I'm all for it... if not.. then it's an idle curiosity but I don't take it too seriously", but that's just because of where my focus lies. Others have different interests

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks

And don't EVER let me catch ANY of you in the CMA forum asking lineage questions :ticked: :uhyeah: :D

Just kidding

I was not aware that this was such a touchy topic, if I had been aware of this I would not have made this post at all and gone about looking into it via other means.

Like I have said before when I did train TKD I really did not care about its history or any MA history for that matter. Hell I was young and could actually train as much as I wanted to then.... without many additional responsibilities…. Oh and not much pain then either…. So that is what I did… train.

Sorry about posting the potentially inflammatory post :asian:

Next on the agenda is an MMA vs. TMA post followed by a post about the origin of Taijiquan which I am convinced was started by some Taoist guy named Walter that lived on the lower east side of Harbin. :D

Mr. Xue Sheng, you are the best.
I think this issue is the most contentious issue of all the martial arts. I will not engage in any arguments. I would rather talk about politics, for as much good as it does. The same people line up on each side, each time, and then...

SIJAK!!!

The same thing, over and over. I am also very accepting of these TKD discussions, I am not one to become upset by them. I know who gave this TKD to me. I know who my GM was. That is the important part!!!

OH -- this tooth extraction -- it is something to keep me from practice -- I wish to ensure that the gum will heal nicely without the dry socket. So, no dojang and no gymnasium for a few days -- this is not good!