Why aren't we doiing this!!??

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGupkqU8x4&feature=related

Now TKD is supposed to be mainly a kicking art. So why do most of our forms have just a little kicking but mainly blocks and punches?

Yes it's kyokushin, but their basic forms are ALL kicking! Now think if we jazzed up their kicking form (it's 'H' shaped like many a TKD form) and put alot of our kicks into them.

Strange, isn't it? I like their forms!

Deaf

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, this is simply a kicho hyung with kicking instead of hand movements. Sounds like a fairly reasonable thing to do, although I can see younger pratitioners having a harder time learning this than the hand movement part. I would probably teach this at a little higher level than a beginner, but a form like this seems like it would be useful for Tae Kwon Do OR Tang Soo Do.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am creating one of those for my school as we speak. Inspired by but not based on the kicking set in EPAK

irishwolf08

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I had been thinking about that since I joined TKD. I know as a student I'd love to learn forms focusing on kicking.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
beginner forms can be interesting?

let me introduce you to my friend Mr Chungi..................:disgust:

Tswolfman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do is known as a kicking art. However we don't totally disregard Hand Techniques. It was explained to me that we use so many hand techniques in our forms to counterbalance our normal sparring and to help "complete" the art. I am Not sure I beleieve this but that is what I have heard.

PEP-REP

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
let me introduce you to my friend Mr Chungi..................:disgust:

man I haven't heard about chungi in years!!!! when I was a 2nd gup I switched from an american taought school to a korean school. we did the chungi forms at the american school and the taeguek forms at the korean school..

man thanks for the chuclke been a long long time since I thought of that !!!

Glenn

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the comments posted on under the video says that it was similiar of "jido kwan" TKD.

Another avenue would be to use a CMA form like Tan Tui, to help expand your kicks and get a different perspective

I think "kicking" sets are a neat idea to help link kicks and ideas together. You can also couple them as kicking combos and also kicks with specific closing gaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the comments posted on under the video says that it was similiar of "jido kwan" TKD.

Which sorta interested me as while I don't have a lot of experience with jidokwan, my instructor is jidokwan and we work a lot on 'inside' fighting. (close in hand techniques, tight roundhouses with ball of the foot, etc..) and I really didn't see that in the video

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It basically comes back to the fact that the standard form sets in TKD, regardless of subspecies, orginated in (and are in many cases identical or near-identical) to Shotokan forms, and since those forms reflect the emphasis in karate on upper-body techs, so do the forms we inherited from those sources. One of the reasons why I've always focused on the historical/technical links between kata on the one hand and hyungs on the other is because there are brilliant SD techniques for close quarter fighting built into the kata, and once these are revealed by the kind of careful realistic, street-practical analysis offered by the current 'bunkai-jutsu' movement karateka, those techs are in a sense off-the-shelf available for KMA forms as well.

Now, if you think kicking techs are going to play a major role in your street-oriented SD repertoire, there's not a huge amount in the locker of the standard hyungs, I don't think. I myself am happy with a predominantly hand/arm-based SD technique set, so it doesn't really bother me that the forms are the way they are....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Now TKD is supposed to be mainly a kicking art. So why do most of our forms have just a little kicking but mainly blocks and punches?

Yes it's kyokushin, but their basic forms are ALL kicking! Now think if we jazzed up their kicking form (it's 'H' shaped like many a TKD form) and put alot of our kicks into them.

Deaf
TKD Olympic sparring is primarilly kicking. But TKD is not mainly a kicking art. If I am correct, TKD has more hand techniques than kicking techniques; I could be wrong on that, but I don't believe that I am. Part of this is that you can do a lot more with your hands than you can with your legs, so it follows that there will be more hand techniques and thus, more hand techniques in the forms.

I will say that TKD emphasizes kicking more than, say, Shotokan karate, particularly high kicks, but I would disagree that it is mainly a kicking art unless you are focusing on Olympic style sparring.

Daniel

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Deaf

Well, these are basic forms and they aren't basic forms. These really are black belt level versions of the basic taikyoku forms (as the titles of the forms in the video point out). In Kyokushin, or Seido or a host of other karate forms, it is common to see the forms get more difficult as you progress in rank. For example, if the Chang H'on forms in TKD were done similarly, by 5th kyu your Chungi would start with turn left into front stance, execute 3 downward blocks, C step forward into a right front stance and execute three punches...that sort of thing. There wouldn't be one Chungi for everyone, it would get more complicated as you progressed in rank. In taikyoku one (or taikyoku ichi) all the blocks are low blocks (gedan barai) all the stances are front stances (zenkutsu dachi), and all the punches are mid punches (seiken chudan zuki). Taikyoku two (or taikyoku Ni) the punches become high punches (seiken jodan zuki) In these videos, the black belt is simply exchanging one punching or blocking technique for another kicking technique because of his high rank. White belts would not be doing these versions of the taikyoku kata. So, these forms are built on the first kata learned in kyokushin, but they are not basic versions or done by beginners.

I guess you could add as much flavor to Chungi as you wanted, if you thought it would help your students and keep the pattern fresh for them.

Latest Discussions