So, there is a new Pope

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pope Francis I formerly Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, the first South American Pope, the first Pope from the Americas, the first Argentine Pope, etc, etc, et al.

Had a lung removed as a teenager, earned a Masters in Chemistry. Has been a priest for 44 years, a member of the Society of Jesus, since 1958. One of his former jobs was an Ordinary. That just seems an odd job title.
Rides the bus. Is 76 years old, so, the odds are against him serving for decades.
Was a party to the 2007 Aparecida Document the fifth GENERAL CONFERENCE OF THE BISHOPS OF LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN.
wherein we find the text:
We hope that legislators, heads of government, and health professionals, conscious of the dignity of human life and of the rootedness of the family in our peoples, will defend and protect it from the abominable crimes of abortion and euthanasia; that is their responsibility. Hence, in response to government laws and provisions that are unjust in the light of faith and reason, conscientious objection should be encouraged. We must adhere to “eucharistic coherence,” that is, be conscious that they cannot receive holy communion and at the same time act with deeds or words against the commandments, particularly when abortion, euthanasia, and other grave crimes against life and family are encouraged. This responsibility weighs particularly over legislators, heads of governments, and health professionals
i.e., those legislators, heads of government and health professionals who are Catholic but, speak or act in contravention of Catholic teaching should not be allowed to participate in communion. (i.e., "pro choice" Catholics, pro gay marriage Catholics and pro normalization of homosexuality Catholics...)

IMHO, and I am not, nor have I ever been Catholic, from what I have heard and read about the man in the past few hours he seems to be a genuinely good man, and I wish him luck.

You can bet the conspiracy theory kooks are going to go absolutely ape about the Pope being a Jesuit, this should be entertaining...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone know when Popes began taking a Papal name, i.e., Francis I, John Paul II, etc?
Is it called a papal name, or is it a regnal name? According to the easily doubted wikipedia, it is a regnal name, but...
There are NINE Saints named Francis, he could have chosen it in honor of any one of them, or, maybe he likes the name...

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I'm reading another bigot as well, like you mentioned.

When will they grow up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Calling someone a bigot is a pretty good way of showing yourself to be one. How dare he actually believe the teachings of the church he leads?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling someone a bigot is a pretty good way of showing yourself to be one. How dare he actually believe the teachings of the church he leads?

You can look up what the word means.

I've read some articles on his methods, I looked at his history of anti-women, homophobic ways.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope he has the gumption to bring the Catholic Church out of the dark ages. Not holding my breath. But it would be nice.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, and I am not, nor have I ever been Catholic, from what I have heard and read about the man in the past few hours he seems to be a genuinely good man, and I wish him luck.

You can bet the conspiracy theory kooks are going to go absolutely ape about the Pope being a Jesuit, this should be entertaining...

From what I've seen so far, the conspiracy theories are about a Jesuit plan for a NWO, and the Malachi prophecy. Some are already claiming that Francis is not a reference to St. Francis of Assisi as reported, but to St. Francis Xavier the cofounder of the Jesuit society in Rome 1540.

As for me and my thoughts? While watching the live broadcast today I sincerely prayed for him, hoped for the best, and decided I should leave the rest to the Lord.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
76 years old? Really? I'm not sure of the reasoning behind selecting advanced aged men to be Pope. I'm not a Catholic, so maybe I'm missing something. In fact, I don't understand alot of the Catholic beliefs. Very strange. But I do wish him the best.

Latest Discussions