So Supportive...

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I finally have a Saturday where I am free to attend a sparring class. I was able to make one about six weeks back, but the turnout was very low due to weather, among other things.

I commented to my wife and daughter that I thought I would go "remind myself how old, slow, out of shape and out of practice I am" by attending a sparring class. My wife's response. "Don't get clocked until you can't drive, I don't feel like coming to get you." My daughter's response "Don't look at me, I'll be playing Dungeons and Dragons."

Yes, I think they were kidding. Yes, D&D is still a thing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let us know how it went, Doc. Hope you had some fun. And didn't get clocked too much. :)

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let us know how it went, Doc. Hope you had some fun. And didn't get clocked too much. :)

It went OK. Unfortunately, not much of an adult turnout, so I did a little sparring with younger, lower ranking students. Nobody with the power to leave me trying to remember my name, the date and where I am, barring a very lucky shot. I did find it helpful, when I would perform a technique and I would expect a counter, and it didn't come, I would perform the same technique again, and leave the opening until they spotted it, encouraging them to deliver the punch or kick. Then do it again to reinforce. In its own way, I think that is helpful to me, more in the capacity of mentor, perhaps, but also in watching for different counters and redeveloping my eye when sparring. Not sure if that makes sense, but I hope so.

The good news, my wife or daughter didn't have to come and get me, and I doubt I'll be too sore tomorrow.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alway remember that if you don't use it, you may lose it forever. You may have to stop doing something one day because your age. At least try not to make today to be your final day.

Someone asked a 100 years old man if he is still interested in sex. The old man said that he was not interested in sex in the past 5 years. I like his attitude.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotta love the support. My wife is very supportive too. *Insert sarcasm tone and facial expressions here*

No idea why. I’ve never given her a hard time about anything she wants to do that I think is stupid. By stupid, I mean everyone has something they like that they spend too much time and possibly money on, and no one else gets it. I’ve got karate and photography. She’s got going massages and browsing Amazon for hours on end without buying much. Some people have cars. Others have guns. And so on.

What people need to realize is it doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else. If they enjoy it and they’re not going to get arrested or bankrupt the family for it, or truly neglecting the important things in life, then leave it alone. Why she goes to her massage therapist once a week, gets a pedicure however often (every month or so?) and spends the amount of money on her hair (she’s beautiful without spending $150 or whatever a woman’s cut and color costs), I’ll never know. Why she thinks doing yoga to a YouTube video is fun, I’ll never get it. But I don’t have to. As long as she’s happy with it and we’re not put into the poorhouse for it, I’m happy for her.

I wish that logic was returned though.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gotta love the support. My wife is very supportive too. *Insert sarcasm tone and facial expressions here*

No idea why. I’ve never given her a hard time about anything she wants to do that I think is stupid. By stupid, I mean everyone has something they like that they spend too much time and possibly money on, and no one else gets it. I’ve got karate and photography. She’s got going massages and browsing Amazon for hours on end without buying much. Some people have cars. Others have guns. And so on.

What people need to realize is it doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else. If they enjoy it and they’re not going to get arrested or bankrupt the family for it, or truly neglecting the important things in life, then leave it alone. Why she goes to her massage therapist once a week, gets a pedicure however often (every month or so?) and spends the amount of money on her hair (she’s beautiful without spending $150 or whatever a woman’s cut and color costs), I’ll never know. Why she thinks doing yoga to a YouTube video is fun, I’ll never get it. But I don’t have to. As long as she’s happy with it and we’re not put into the poorhouse for it, I’m happy for her.

I wish that logic was returned though.

In all fairness, my wife has been amazingly supportive of me from day one, literally. I found out my unit was being activated for Desert Shield on the morning of our wedding day. When I had a brief break in service, she knew I missed it, and was the one to suggest I re-up. She had one heckuva hard time during my last deployment, more than one person should have had to deal with. But when I decided to retire, she asked if I was sure.

When it comes to my hobbies, if it is in the budget, she doesn't say too much, and when it comes to her hobby (she rides horses competitively), I'm behind her 100%. I'll cut a bit out here and there if necessary, because I think she came out of the womb crazy about horses. Her comment today, and the follow up by my daughter were simply too much for me not to share. I actually hope my wife, and if possible both of my daughters, are there when I test for my black belt.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
D&D still rocks, although I haven’t played in decades. I see the game sets and books in the book stores (still a few of those around too) and I’m always tempted to pick one up just for the sake of nostalgia. Actually, I would like to find an original first edition Basic set and Advanced set. Keep on the Borderlands, yeah baby!

D

Deleted member 39746

Not the dreaded circle kick of D&D i still have no idea what that is meant to be!

(i dont know why, the use of circle kick just triggers me and a few D&D inspired games use it as a kick)

D&D still rocks, although I haven’t played in decades. I see the game sets and books in the book stores (still a few of those around too) and I’m always tempted to pick one up just for the sake of nostalgia. Actually, I would like to find an original first edition Basic set and Advanced set. Keep on the Borderlands, yeah baby!

If you know how, and enough people who can, you can find plenty of digital sources. The last few RP games i have done have been digital and via the internet.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My RPG group just wrapped up a 5th edition D&D campaign and we’re playing Starfinder at the moment. (D&D iiin spaaaace!)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am pretty sure I still have a full set of the Advanced books. I can look in my junk closet.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I am the anti-nerd. I have never even see a D&D game. Is it a board game or video game?

It is the Father of all table top Role Playing Games. All you need to play is dice, paper, and your imagination.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I am the anti-nerd. I have never even see a D&D game. Is it a board game or video game?
Yeah, me too. I knew it was a role playing game, but not much more than that.

Oh yeah, I know my friends and I never played it. We played pretty much played sports and found creative ways to hurt each other like kill the carrier or doing stupid stuff on our bikes like taking turns throwing sticks in each other’s spokes and making ramps to jump off of. Never got into the fantasy genre stuff. Not that I’m bashing it at all.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. I knew it was a role playing game, but not much more than that.

Oh yeah, I know my friends and I never played it. We played pretty much played sports and found creative ways to hurt each other like kill the carrier or doing stupid stuff on our bikes like taking turns throwing sticks in each other’s spokes and making ramps to jump off of. Never got into the fantasy genre stuff. Not that I’m bashing it at all.
Now that sounds like good times. I suspect "carrier" is the PC term.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now that sounds like good times. I suspect "carrier" is the PC term.
We used both names for the game interchangeably back then. Not because of PC. No one was calling you out for calling a game Smear the Queer back in ‘85 or so.