So Supportive...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I haven't played D&D in ages. I probably would if I happened to run into folks who were into it and didn't mind me remembering almost nothing about it, other than the fact that it was a lot of fun. Many Saturdays spent with my brother and our neighbor, a few books, a map, character sheets and an odd assortment of dice.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Man, I haven't played D&D in ages. I probably would if I happened to run into folks who were into it and didn't mind me remembering almost nothing about it, other than the fact that it was a lot of fun. Many Saturdays spent with my brother and our neighbor, a few books, a map, character sheets and an odd assortment of dice.

My daughter got started by going down to a game shop at our local mall and just seeing if they had games of any type going on that might interest her. Yes, people of all ages there, by what I understand.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did get some more sparring in yesterday. More than just working with younger kids this time. One teenager who is a little taller than me and outweighs me, and his blackbelt father. I thought I did OK, but I am sore this morning. More from the physical activity than bruising, but it is going to be a long day working today... I also need to do more interval workouts. My wind wasn't what I would have liked it to be.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did get some more sparring in yesterday. More than just working with younger kids this time. One teenager who is a little taller than me and outweighs me, and his blackbelt father. I thought I did OK, but I am sore this morning. More from the physical activity than bruising, but it is going to be a long day working today... I also need to do more interval workouts. My wind wasn't what I would have liked it to be.
More sparring is the easiest (to me, anyway) way to improve your wind in sparring.

That or more beans. :D

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More sparring is the easiest (to me, anyway) way to improve your wind in sparring.

That or more beans. :D

I agree, regarding the sparring anyway. Unfortunately, being lucky to get in once a week means finding alternatives. I have a heavy bag, but need to make room to use it more fully. In the meanwhile, I need to improve my 5K time anyway!

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I sparred yesterday, only three of us showed, one a black belt with tournament experience, and one advanced brown belt who does tournaments now. Both said they were impressed by my skills, and not just for a 50+ year old who has been out of the game for a very long time. That could have been implied though! I'll say I didn't do too badly, and I wasn't as winded as even one week ago. I thought to take a Mucinex with a decongestant in the morning, and I do believe it may have helped. I'll add it to my ritual.

My daughter went and took video of my sparring. I've already asked her to do that more often, because even a cursory review has allowed me to spot some bad habits I need to fix quickly. My wife watched a couple of them, and thought I did OK for an old guy.

This morning, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, but I know once I'm up and moving I should be OK. I won't complain to the wife, though, because that is where the lack of sympathy will come in!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I sparred yesterday, only three of us showed, one a black belt with tournament experience, and one advanced brown belt who does tournaments now. Both said they were impressed by my skills, and not just for a 50+ year old who has been out of the game for a very long time. That could have been implied though! I'll say I didn't do too badly, and I wasn't as winded as even one week ago. I thought to take a Mucinex with a decongestant in the morning, and I do believe it may have helped. I'll add it to my ritual.

My daughter went and took video of my sparring. I've already asked her to do that more often, because even a cursory review has allowed me to spot some bad habits I need to fix quickly. My wife watched a couple of them, and thought I did OK for an old guy.

This morning, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, but I know once I'm up and moving I should be OK. I won't complain to the wife, though, because that is where the lack of sympathy will come in!
I love this. Being in the "old guy" category I know how you feel. I have not thought of having someone video my sparring of recent but I know it is very helpful. I say take the compliment. As you get back in the swing they may not come around very often.;)

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love this. Being in the "old guy" category I know how you feel. I have not thought of having someone video my sparring of recent but I know it is very helpful. I say take the compliment. As you get back in the swing they may not come around very often.;)

Especially in this day and age, where it can be done on a smart phone, there isn't much reason not to, if someone is able to help out. I saw a lot to work on very quickly just by watching, not even looking for specific problems. I think if I can arrange a couple of lessons in the evening instead of over my lunch hour, she will be agreeable to coming and taping that as well. She has said once the weather is warm enough for me to practice outside, where there is more room than my basement, she will.

If a solid sparring performance becomes "expected" and the norm, I'm OK with that too!