so octagon shape ring is also official fighting ring

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So This is latest news and I wonder how this will change anything? There has been some talk about new uniforms, more points from punches etc.

"Some changes of the WTF competition rules were also confirmed by the GA, the most significant being the possibility to fight Taekwondo competitions on an octagonal shaped mat. The 8 x 8 m contest area will remain an option as well, the new octagonal shape will measure 8 m in diameter between each facing sides and each side should measure 3.3 meters. It has to be seen how this will influence the match management of competitors."

Yours,

Markku P

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir, what's your source on this?

It seems unlikely to catch on because of the need to redesign puzzle mat to make such a shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sir, what's your source on this?

It seems unlikely to catch on because of the need to redesign puzzle mat to make such a shape.

I think it will catch on. Korean Taekwondo association is using it and soon will many others follow.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Yeah, I can't see it being common at tournaments for that reason. I feel like this is meant as a way to allow TKD matches to be done in a MMA venue. Some googling tells me a UFC ring is about 4 feet bigger across, so they'd have room for corner judges inside the cage.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel like this is meant as a way to allow TKD matches to be done in a MMA venue. Some googling tells me a UFC ring is about 4 feet bigger across, so they'd have room for corner judges inside the cage.

This has nothing to do with MMA. Perhaps they are trying to get fights more active with this? I still think this will be more common in the future. ( perhaps not in USA? )

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes this octal ring shape has been used in Korea for some time now. The used it for the Korean Open as well. I don't think it makes that much difference. But I have only seen fights on them not had anyone that has used them. Maybe I have one guy that went to Korea last year, he may have fought on them I will have to ask him.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty neutral on the shape of the ring, but I would be entirely behind efforts to change Olympic style Taedo sparring into Taekwondo sparring.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, it's just proposals, but it's a step in the right direction. At least in the eyes of those of us who have always thought the Olympic sparring ruleset was...less than ideal.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He seems to embrace change. That's a good thing. A lot of the more recent changes have taken a bit of the excitement out of things, so I look forward to any change that makes things more balanced and interesting to watch.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think its a step in the right direction. I'm in agreement with anything that brings more credibility to Taekwondo as a well-rounded striking style, rather than the game of foot tag the Olympic style sparring has made it into. I just hope the changes don't sportify the art even more so than it already is.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the techniques and scoring are more important than the ring and clothing. There are both sensor gloves and sensor helmets available, though I've only used the helmets. I would like to see sport TKD include hands more to both body and head. It's good that someone 'higher up' is exploring this.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A big cause of the "potshot" type fighting is the scoring-points per strike was always going to foster that. Judo looks a bit similar (hah, I know) for the same reason.

When I say "Judo looks a bit similar" I mean "lots of nothing and then one big throw attempt".

Latest Discussions