Snakes

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Cornsnakes are very pretty. Is the one your neighbor has docile? I'm more leary of the smaller, faster snakes...Were the squirrels wild? Where did you get them? Sounds like you had a cool mom when it comes to pets.

I've read that cornsnakes are very docile and particularly good for kids (as far as reptliles go).

We used to have a squirrel that we trained to take nuts out of our hands. The funny part was that it got so tame that if we were'nt outside to give it nuts, it would get up onto the window box and dance around to get our attention until we came out with some nuts.

As for "real" pets, I had an iguana for a long time, but she got sick and died :(

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
If I had my choice, I'd love a ferret :)

We caught a wild black mink (very savage and mean!) in our garage and kept it for a couple of days. Because of its ferocitiy (and I was afraid for my kids, I didn't want them sticking their hands in the cage), we had to give it to the forest services to return it to the wilds. That resulted in us wanting a tamer version (domesticated ferret).

We used to own three ferrets. Love 'em!! Intelligent critters, each with their own personalities!

One got accidentally run over by my husband's car. The other two, a family friend saw them and fell in love with them and begged and begged and begged to have them, so finally I agreed to give them to her. We were going out of state on an extended trip that year, so it probably would be just as well--not many others would be willing to watch them for us. At last contact, they are doing well with her.

- Ceicei

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
If I had my choice, I'd love a ferret :)

I like ferrets too. :D I got to play with a couple ferrets at the community center where I used to work. For a while, I toyed with the idea of getting either a pair of ferrets or rats. However, I also had roommates during that period of time, and none of them were cool with me bringing home a ferret or a rat (especially a rat). So I decided to get two cats instead. ;) That is probably for the best, since cats are easier to maintain than ferrets or rats. Not having to clean a cage helps a LOT.

I'm also digging your new snake, Pam. Reptiles are cool. :ultracool I wouldn't mind owning a ball python, but I'm afraid it would eat my cats if it escaped.

I'll have to settle for "borrowing" other people's snakes. ;) I came across this one fellow last Friday while walking around downtown. He rescues snakes and uses them in photography:

Attachments

• $Jen and snake 7-14-06.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 107

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, when I was in elementary school in Florida, I showed my pet "king snake" around and gave an adult a near heart attack - my pet "king snake" that I had captured in my backyard and kept illicitly was actually a Coral Snake. I got in a little bit of trouble for this...

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Well, when I was in elementary school in Florida, I showed my pet "king snake" around and gave an adult a near heart attack - my pet "king snake" that I had captured in my backyard and kept illicitly was actually a Coral Snake. I got in a little bit of trouble for this...

OMG...it certainly wasn't funny back then (thank God you or anyone else didn't get bitten!), but it's pretty funny now.

And you just got into a "little" bit of trouble? I would've grounded you for a month. :uhyeah:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you making sure to only feed him pre-killed mice?

We haven't had to feed him yet, but yes, he will be fed pre-killed mice.

If I had my choice, I'd love a ferret

Ferrets are cool. My brother-in-law used to have one. They're awesome fun.

I came across this one fellow last Friday while walking around downtown. He rescues snakes and uses them in photography:

That's a beautiful snake, and you look quite the natural with him Jennifer! :)

Well, when I was in elementary school in Florida, I showed my pet "king snake" around and gave an adult a near heart attack - my pet "king snake" that I had captured in my backyard and kept illicitly was actually a Coral Snake.

:xtrmshock OMG! You are sooo lucky. You, or anyone else, wasn't bit. It's funny now, but...damn! Coulda been ugly.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My instructor owns a few snakes. This is one of his that he sometimes brings to the studio (on his neck). Second picture is MA-Caver with the snake. The third is of MA-Caver and snake posing with my two daughters. - Ceicei

Attachments

• $Snake.jpg
    $Snake.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 105
  • $MA-Caver and Snake.jpg
    $MA-Caver and Snake.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 102
  • $MA-Caver, snake, and my daughters.jpg
    $MA-Caver, snake, and my daughters.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 108
OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
My instructor owns a few snakes. This is one of his that he sometimes brings to the studio (on his neck). Second picture is MA-Caver with the snake. The third is of MA-Caver and snake posing with my two daughters. - Ceicei

Cool. I wonder how old that one is. It's a nice size. Not too big. Beautiful kids Ceicei. :)

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!! I have never even touched a snake!!!! We have them at the zoo, but we dont have wild snakes in New Zealand!!!! Unfortunatley we cant grow them in our climate!! :) You are very lucky to experience having a pet like that! Having a snake as a pet over here is unheard of!!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Second picture is MA-Caver with the snake.

Caver with a Snake?

I'm sorry... but it looks a lot more like that Snake has Caver.

LOL