smile ;)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Mmm-hmmmm. Dittos.
Melissa, shesulsa - yes, you did.

Funny how if women get tired of all their critiques - even of powerful women in politics - essentially targeting physical appearance and sexual attraction.

I'm tired of it. Not funny.

If someone made a clever political joke, great.

But saying, "Hey, did you see that Queen of England - wow, I wouldn't have sex with her!" well, good for you.

Men don't worry about this. A disturbingly ugly man can be in power. He's powerful, albeit disturbingly ugly. An unattractive woman in power - or a woman guys may want to secretly have sex with, but they hate her politics, or find her a convenient whipping-boy, so to speak - gets targeted with comments that undermine her and reduce her to her looks alone.

I don't expect (most) guys to get it.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled thread...

R

rmcrobertson

Wow. A simple critical response or three that deal with the reality of patriarchy--Western culture depends upon keeping women as what De Beauvoir called, "the Other--" and ever'body gotta retreat.

1. The call on Bush came as a response.
2. There isn't a clear tradition of comparing men to chimps.
3. Senator Clinton didn't start an unnecessary war.
4. The point of the first poster on this thread was not to show that, yet again, jokes attacking men are the only funny jokes.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, if want an equivalent of the woman=cow joke/insult, I'd suggest the common equation of a crooked male to a pig. See? Barnyard references for both genders.

M

Melissa426

RandomPhantom700 said:
Well, if want an equivalent of the woman=cow joke/insult, I'd suggest the common equation of a crooked male to a pig. See? Barnyard references for both genders.
:soapbox:

What you just aren't apparently getting is that the woman=cow joke is reference to physical appearance/beauty/size of hips,etc. NOTHING to do with political/personal accomplishments, ideology, etc.

When I refer to a man as a pig, it's generally a reference to an attitude or personality, not looks.

I still think MLK jr. said it best: judge not by the color of skin (or any physical attributes) , but by the content of their character.
If you think Hillary is a sleezeball in her politcal leaning (which I don't--don't flame me) then by all means call her a snake or a rat or whatever, if we're making barnyard references.
Calling her (or any other woman) a cow because of her looks? Demeaning and offensive.

Off my soapbox,
Melissa

M

MisterMike

So now we are told which animals we can call people. I just never would have made it in the Victorian era. Just can't be proper enough.

Does that mean most of the posters on this board can't use the term "Fat Cat" politician or "Fat Cat" businessman any longer? Or am I just not on the good list?

Does "Redneck" not refer to appearance either? I know nooobody has ever used that one here either.

Have a day. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, see, what I'm noticing is not the "My reference was political, not sexist - did not intend to offend anyone" but rather the justification of the use of the term and the thumbing of the nose at those who did take offense.

One could glean from this that the offense was intended as a gender-based insult.

So rather than glean or assume, I'm going to ask you outright, MisterMike:

Did you intend to insult Hillary Clinton based on her physical appearance and make an analogy based on her gender or were you insulting her in a political realm only?

M

MisterMike

Political first, appearance (size only) second. Gender had nothin to do with it, conciously. Although, since the cow project was not named after bulls, I could have subconciously chosen the female politician because of that rather than Ted Kennedy.

G

ghostdog2

What's wrong with insulting Hillary? Is she some kind of Sacred Cow?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think its time we put this thread to pasture.

R

rmcrobertson

1. Melissa nailed it.

2. Who told anybody what they could or couldn't do? All that was said was: a) here're the implications of what you're saying; b) here's what the history and current status of calling a woman a, "cow," seems to be; c) here's why you might want to think about this being lousy manners.

3. Yes, the poor, beleaguered white guy. We are SO under attack...

OP
Sapper6

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I think its time we put this thread to pasture.

yeah i agree. i started this thread hoping just to get people to smile and laugh at ourselves...seems it's turned out to be something obviously different :idunno:

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I never knew "the white guy" comprised a single demographic....