SLT Time?

Dansel

White Belt
Reaction score
How long do u think is sufficient to spend on SLT per day? i take about 15 mins for the first section.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How long do u think is sufficient to spend on SLT per day? i take about 15 mins for the first section.
That's about how long I take too. I've heard that on the residentials that our club runs, they sometimes take an hour. There's no way I can manage that at the moment, but I think it's something to aim for.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's about how long I take too. I've heard that on the residentials that our club runs, they sometimes take an hour. There's no way I can manage that at the moment, but I think it's something to aim for.

I believe you can also benefit from doing it faster, say 3-5 minutes for the first section. Then you may have the time to run through it several times. I would venture that taking more than 10-15 minutes would be a poor use of time for a beginner, since the quality of their movements, stance and structure can't be sustained for very long. But then again, I'm a poster boy for adult ADD so consider the source! LOL

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually take about 5 minutes to do it , then practice a bit of pivoting then 5 min for chum kiu and 5 min for bil gee . Other times i just concentrate on SLT and do it for about 20 mins .

I do it at the usual speed but the middle fook sau and wu sau part i do very slowly and about 10 -15 times for each side . I was told that it is the section that cultivates internal energy .

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes me about 10-15 minutes i suppose.

There seems to be many differerent opinions on timing for SLT. In Sifu Rawcliffes book he states 20 minutes.

I think as long as you are striving for Gung Lik and using your muscles in the first section then all is good.*

On another note....i put my heart rate monitor on when doing SLT the other day (nothing better to do) and it was well in my fat burning zone. The same as when i was doing press ups/sit ups circuit. I know i should have been concentrating or more to the point NOT concentrating on what i was doing but it was interesting for me.

When i finish SLT i am covered in sweat.

*what do I know, i am a novice.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It varies. You can do SLT at any speed. I know of guys in Hong Kong who took 2 hours to do the first section!!

The longest I have taken to do it (when I was younger) was an hour and a half for the whole form

But generally 15 minutes seems a good time. The form is building structure and base so try and improve your stance each time

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Generally I take about 5 to 10 minutes to do SLT.

If you're going to do it ultra slow, the point is to focus on your "internal" frames of reference. That way, you can have much more stability and structure, thus power transference and control.

What does this mean?

When doing Chi Sao or San Da, you focus is on feeling and perceiving the "external" as to control the attacker.

Yet, when the "internal" is drilled into the neurology, then you can apply it "externally". This is done by very specific movement drills, i.e. the forms.

Your body learns to move in an optimal way because of the repetition of the forms and the body learning and getting accustomed to the optimal way. It feels good to the body.

Then with Chi sao and San Da, progressively augmenting the pressure and contact, you can induce adrenal stress and ingrain the skills learned onto the mental and physical state induced by self defense/fight type situations.

On normal workouts, I don't take more than 5 to 7 minutes in SLT. There is so much to train and do, and repetition is key. We also do an "activated" SLT, which is closer to actual application speed.

There is much more to this. If you want more, just ask.

Juan M. Mercado

Latest Discussions