Single hand throat grab and two hand throat grab

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well does anyone practice these types of escapes at their school? I mean like of course if I had a knife or something sharp at my disposal I would use it. I could also use a groin smash, eye gauge, throat strike, etc. but how do you practice these type of things? I know there is a Jizzilion different scenarios, but what are some one can practice?

Yes any collar tie defence will work. Some Thai clinch defence will work and judo will have all sorts of collar grip stuff that will work. I mostly just do the shoulder shuck one from the video I put up. because you can be releasing the grip while also protecting your head from punches.

I drill these anyway. They are high percentage and put me in a nice position at the end of it.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well does anyone practice these types of escapes at their school? I mean like of course if I had a knife or something sharp at my disposal I would use it. I could also use a groin smash, eye gauge, throat strike, etc. but how do you practice these type of things? I know there is a Jizzilion different scenarios, but what are some one can practice?
I don't think you fully understand what I am trying to say, and I'm bad at explaining things, so going to break it down concretely.
A: Since there are a million different situation where this occurs, there is no drill that can really cover all of them.
B: Despite that, in 90% of the situations, you can just literally back up out of it if you want to.
C: If you don't want to/can't walk out and want to hurt the person as long as you can remain calm, you are in a much better position than the person trying to choke you.
D: You're style also likely has escapes from this choke, and since it is so easy to escape from assuming you manage to remain calm and work quickly, there isn't really a reason to go around and find other escape methods.

As far a direct answer, practicing the first two moves in this defense/escape is pretty useful and easy. My favorite way to react in drills where I am being choked.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
in that last video he does like i meant it, arm up, turning sideways and come back. he does an elbow strike, i said same with an hand strike, but whatever. this works no matter if one handed, two handed, against the wall, from the front, from the side, from behind. there's no time for martial ARTS in self-defense. keep it simple or you might forget which of your 1000 possible techniques to use in the heat of the moment.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some drills that can be used to practice escaping this situation?

There are about a bazillion escapes from a wrist grab, lapel grab, throat grab scenario. Really.

Most of the techniques shown by "Master Ken" in his comedy video for wrist grabs can be translated to throat grabs. Including the last one.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You can practice all of them if you have an uke and you move carefully. If you don't have sufficient control to avoid injuring your uke, learn control first.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Japanese and means something like "one who receives a technique."
One step sparring is common in TKD schools. Typically, the person who would be considered uke would be the one attacking. Tori would be the defender, who responds to the attack with whatever counter is being trained.

In this clip, the person punching would be uke. The person blocking and counter-striking would be tori.

And in keeping with another thread that involves one-step sparring, this is about how we do it. The ranges are such that if you fail to block, the strike will make contact. Punches that stop 2 feet from your body don't teach you anything about countering a punch.

#3 in this video is actually the very first one-step technique we teach.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ahh yes this and a secret black belt move I was taught called the shotgun blast to the dome, also helps if someone is trying to strangle you.
Are you suggesting that the flying armbar is a secret, black belt technique?
Also my instructor told me that if I'm in a life or death situation, I should avoid any techniques with the word flying in them , if I value my life. XD
why? Did you see drop bears post?

Ompaloompa.
clearly, based upon this demonstration of the flying omoplata, there can be no question it is a reliable and effective technique. Flying armbar would be equally effective.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe you should ask this guy:

hqdefault.jpg

Latest Discussions