Single hand throat grab and two hand throat grab

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are your favorite ways to get out of these two self-defense scenarios?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you had asked this in the martial arts section, then my answer would be every different, however as you have asked it in the self-defence section…..

In order for me to have ended up in a situation where someone has their hand or hands around my neck, then it means I must have been either a) asleep or b) was so switched off and oblivious to what was going on around me (i.e. in code white) that there is simply no way I could suddenly and instantly become switched on enough (i.e. code red) to start pulling off strangle defences.

To paraphrase Geoff Thompson:- If you are attacked in code white pretty much the only thing that will save you is the ineptitude of your attacker.

If I am switched on, it won’t get to the point where someone’s hands are around my neck, as there will be a multitude of opportunities for me to prevent it getting it that stage, and if I get to the point where all of this options have run out, then I attack pre-emptively before they strangle me.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have successfully c choked a heck of a lot of people. Done right it is high percentage. Think of the collar tie position. Except the hand is at the front of the throat rather than the back of the neck.

images

Defensively it is the same.

With added face punching. Or whatever.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Umm...I would love to hear the difference Paul_D between your martial arts answer and your self defense answer.

You must attack the attack before it gets to the point where someone has their hands on you. If they get their hands on you, your only concern is to deal with the greatest threat, which is restriction of air flow or blood flow.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There are many, many, technical releases for arm, lapel, shoulder, or throat grabs. They all work, to varying degree, based quite a bit on the skill of the martial artist and the individual circumstances. Presuming a 'self-defense' scenario as you stated, my response would be to punch the person doing the grabbing right in the face, as hard as I could. A person would have to have mighty long arms and be mighty strong to strangle me while holding me firmly at arm's length and not be in striking range.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Umm...I would love to hear the difference Paul_D between your martial arts answer and your self defense answer..

Ok, if I am to do a Worzel Gummidge (waits while everyone under 40 and not in the UK Google’s Worzel Gummidge) and take my self defence head off, and put my martial arts head on…..

The first rule of any strangle defence is to put your chin down, as this will buy you valuable seconds. Next, the short answer is I would strike a vulnerable area, either the windpipe, or most probably the lower abdomen (when people are squeezing your neck their arms/shoulder are strong, but that strength comes with a price, another part of your body must then be weak, one of these is the stomach and lower abdomen) as to what I would do after that would depend entirely on how they reacted. I cannot say I would do a, b or c, as he may not fall or lean or move or have certain part of his body in the correct position for me a, b or c.

The long answer is a thesis explaining how there are no techniques, techniques are purely the physical manifestation of principals, and the idea is not to collect techniques to defend scenarios a through to z, but merely to internalise these principals so that you act instinctively to whatever opportunity your attacker presents you with. Techniques have a finite use, principals have an infinite number of applications. but no one wants to read that thesis, and I don't have time to write it.

So in essence, I have to say don’t know what I would do as I wouldn’t have a pre-planned list of techniques lined up. I would strike, and then react according to how the opponent reacted. Which probably still isn’t the answer you wanted either, sorry ;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like all situations:
It depends but it won't happen like you think it will.
What most people don't take in to consideration is the amount of violence coming at you if someone wants to strangle you. The attack won't happen with some one walking up to you and reaching out to grasp your throat. The attack will most likely be sudden, fast, and powerful with the attacker throwing their full body weight into the attack. The shear suddenness of the attack and body mass plowing into you will throw you off balance. Your head will be snapped in whiplash action causing even more trauma to the throat and neck as you are slammed whether the attack is to the front or the back.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Umm...I would love to hear the difference Paul_D between your martial arts answer and your self defense answer.

You must attack the attack before it gets to the point where someone has their hands on you. If they get their hands on you, your only concern is to deal with the greatest threat, which is restriction of air flow or blood flow.

Defending the attack before it actually arrives is always the best thing. If for whatever reason you can/did not, as Bill says, there are many things you can use. One arm up and over the opponent's arms and down forcefully as you step to the other side from your arm is one. If their arms are short enough, a strike to the throat or eyes is good, just to name a couple.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting how most wanted told describe what they would do once they were being strangled...what about before?

BTW...I am of the firm belief that "self defense" is the biggest waste of time one can engage in...we need to work on Personal Protection...protect not defend...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW...I am of the firm belief that "self defense" is the biggest waste of time one can engage in...we need to work on Personal Protection...protect not defend...
Can you explain this? What exactly is personal protection, and how does it differ from self defense?

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can you explain this? What exactly is personal protection, and how does it differ from self defense?

Self defense...selfish. One "defends" oneself. Defense, too late...it is reactionary in nature.
Personal Protection...one protects what is personal...more than self? It can and should be. Protection involves prevention, not reactionary but rather is based on appropriate action. We never defend, we attack...we attack the attack.

There is a lot more, but this is a good base.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting how most wanted told describe what they would do once they were being strangled...what about before?

Because that's not the question the OP asked. I, as well as most here, would probably advise someone to use their common sense and avoid being put in such a situation to begin with. But since the OP asked what I would do if I were to find myself suddenly being gripped by the throat, that's what I answered.

Well, that's something.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am of the firm belief that "self defense" is the biggest waste of time one can engage in...we need to work on Personal Protection...protect not defend...

Are you aware of the definitions?
- Defend is to keep someone or something safe : to not allow a person or thing to hurt, damage or destroy someone or something
-Protect is to keep someone or something from being harmed, lost, damaged or destroyed

To protect is to defend and to defend is to protect.
They are different words with the same meaning.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
for the op's question: straighten one arm up in the air and turn sideways. thats it.
you may turn back to face the attacker (never turn your back to him, maybe except for running away) with a "karate chop" to his throat. seems fair.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Very aware of definitions. There is a difference...unless we simply look at the surface of the definitions and do not drill deep enough.

How about:

Protect: to provide a guard or shield
Defend: to take action against attack or challenge

I see a big difference here. One is to prevent and one is to react when something is happening. The police do not "defend and serve", our borders are not controlled by "border defenders", our military serves to "protect" our freedoms.

Jouzai Senjou!

Are you aware of the definitions?
- Defend is to keep someone or something safe : to not allow a person or thing to hurt, damage or destroy someone or something
-Protect is to keep someone or something from being harmed, lost, damaged or destroyed

To protect is to defend and to defend is to protect.
They are different words with the same meaning.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to Rory Miller: If they are strangling you at arms length just step back (unless you are against a wall of course)

Two handed though. Not one handed. Because two handed is a weaker grip.

Easy enough to test. Pick something heavy of the ground as if you were choking it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

See. I would have said semantics was.

Latest Discussions