Simultaneous strikes

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen in both kata and in kung fu movies the simultaneous strike or simultaneous combination. It might be a jab and a front kick at the same time, or two punches at the same time. Not a 1-2 combination, but both strikes impact the target at the same moment.

Is there a practical purpose for these moves, other than that they look cool in a form or they look good on film?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're wielding two weapons at once (such as knives, sticks, or swords) then it is possible (though usually not tactically ideal) to land two effective shots simultaneously.

Unarmed? Nah. You can do it, but the combined effect of the two strikes will almost always be significantly less than that of a single strike done correctly.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well in Muay Thai we have a lot of techniques that do have Simultaneous Strikes and Combos, However not in a Kata but in actual live Sparring. For Example we have one move where you Put the Palm of your hand or Glove into your opponents face and you can throw a Knee, Liver Shot or even a Elbow Strike.

Muay Thai combos are a little more Simple compared to majority of the Striking Arts.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well in Muay Thai we have a lot of techniques that do have Simultaneous Strikes and Combos, However not in a Kata but in actual live Sparring. For Example we have one move where you Put the Palm of your hand or Glove into your opponents face and you can throw a Knee, Liver Shot or even a Elbow Strike.

Muay Thai combos are a little more Simple compared to majority of the Striking Arts.

Is it that the palm and knee strike simultaneously? Or that you palm strike, and then while you hold their head you strike with the knee or the other elbow?

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it that the palm and knee strike simultaneously? Or that you palm strike, and then while you hold their head you strike with the knee or the other elbow?
Palm Strike and Knee simultaneously. Its Technically a Knee and Punch and Knee and Elbow, Or Punch and Elbow. However that is when were are not in the Clinch.

In the Clinch that is a different Story. Here are some Pic Examples

Lethwei - Wikipedia

Lethwei - Wikipedia

Even though it say Lethwei, Really Lethwei and Muay Thai are practically similar arts just Lethwei has Headbutts, As Muay Thai does not Use the Headbutts, But Muay Boran does.
Lethwei

Lethwei

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Palm Strike and Knee simultaneously. Its Technically a Knee and Punch and Knee and Elbow, Or Punch and Elbow. However that is when were are not in the Clinch.

In the Clinch that is a different Story. Here are some Pic Examples

Lethwei - Wikipedia

Lethwei - Wikipedia

Even though it say Lethwei, Really Lethwei and Muay Thai are practically similar arts just Lethwei has Headbutts, As Muay Thai does not Use the Headbutts, But Muay Boran does.
Lethwei

Lethwei

In those examples it seems only one is hitting. With the palm and the knee, the palm is super effective and the knee appears to barely make contact. With the elbow and knee, the elbow appears to completely whiff while the knee makes contact.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you post some examples of the kata versions you are asking about? (not really interested in the movie-fu side of it)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
ordinarily i am not a big fan of simultaneous striking. however i do have a move in kata where it looks like your doing a palm to the face and one to the groin. the bunkai that i have for that however is not a strike as such but a close in shove which includes the shoulder.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In those examples it seems only one is hitting. With the palm and the knee, the palm is super effective and the knee appears to barely make contact. With the elbow and knee, the elbow appears to completely whiff while the knee makes contact.
When actually drilling and performing the technique it does hit, The Punch or Palm stuns or puts the hand in their face and then you strike with the knee. Elbow is meant to whiff and try to get a cut on your opponent and then the knee does strike and stop the opponent from closing the distance with a clinch.

Sure the picture does not show much, But is done together in most matches

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen in both kata and in kung fu movies the simultaneous strike or simultaneous combination. It might be a jab and a front kick at the same time, or two punches at the same time. Not a 1-2 combination, but both strikes impact the target at the same moment.

Is there a practical purpose for these moves, other than that they look cool in a form or they look good on film?
The answer is a BIG YES. I have used them in my system. The double punch works. I've used that in free sparring and out of all of the strikes that are easy to land, the double punch is the easiest one. Unfortunately, the practical use of it decreased with each attempt or successful blow. If I use it in sparring then I'll use it maybe 2 in the same day and then I would wait months before I used it in sparring classes again. I actually have video (not great video) of me using in free sparring. The beginner form in my system uses a horizontal double simultaneous punch 3 times. I haven't used that one in a free sparring situation yet. I'm hesitant in using it because I think I may hurt my sparring partner with it. I would feel more comfortable in using it, if I had more control with it.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The answer is a BIG YES. I have used them in my system. The double punch works. I've used that in free sparring and out of all of the strikes that are easy to land, the double punch is the easiest one. Unfortunately, the practical use of it decreased with each attempt or successful blow. If I use it in sparring then I'll use it maybe 2 in the same day and then I would wait months before I used it in sparring classes again. I actually have video (not great video) of me using in free sparring. The beginner form in my system uses a horizontal double simultaneous punch 3 times. I haven't used that one in a free sparring situation yet. I'm hesitant in using it because I think I may hurt my sparring partner with it. I would feel more comfortable in using it, if I had more control with it.

So what is the advantage you find of using a double strike instead of a single strike?

As @Tony Dismukes said, a single strike will usually be more effective because you're concentrating your energy into that one punch.

The Punch or Palm stuns or puts the hand in their face and then you strike with the knee

That's not simultaneous if it's one strike hits and stuns so the next strike is easier to land. That's just a combination.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So what is the advantage you find of using a double strike instead of a single strike?

As @Tony Dismukes said, a single strike will usually be more effective because you're concentrating your energy into that one punch.

That's not simultaneous if it's one strike hits and stuns so the next strike is easier to land. That's just a combination.
No Problem I thought it was Simultaneous. It just feels like it is when its done in Drilling and Sparring, Along with seeing my Kru and the pros in Class do it.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Maybe you can get your opponents confused, so then you can KO them.

Sometimes I show 2 strikes, but only one lands, the other retracts in the last instant. Or I pull them against my knees. Never seen 2 strikes at once.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Biggest advantage is that most people don't know what to do with it when it comes. On a biological level I think it gives the brain too much to process all at once. You don't know if you block high or low, or just move backwards. It's a sneaky punch and it never looks like a punch when you start the motion. Every double punch, I've done, I had to pull back on the power and not connect because my opponent was that open. From my end it looks like my opponent freezes for about a second and that's more than enough time to get the punch in.

The other advantage of this punch is that one punch will always be in the opponent's blind spot. You will never see both of them at the same time when it's done correctly and at the correct distance.

The downside is that the more you use it, the less effective it because because your opponent will learn how to recognize the punch. In practice it looks like this. But in application it doesn't extend this far and the punch occurs in closer range. Jabbing range is too far for me when I'm doing this technique. The horizontal punch happens in close range and it travels through blind spots as well.
upload_2018-6-22_13-5-33.jpeg

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like I can make a video that people would be interested in. I'll have to use it against a heavy bag, just to show there's some real power behind the strike.

That looks similar to what we do, except in our kata we're not leaning our upper body into it. I would like to see this compared to a single punch in a video, if you could. And/or some examples of it being used effectively in sparring!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend of mine call double strikes a Shetland Pony technique. Technically it's a horse.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the training I have, when used the double fist or palm strikes are more for creating space or are utilized as a part of a crashing entry. In form it can be either hand or both.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the training I have, when used the double fist or palm strikes are more for creating space or are utilized as a part of a crashing entry. In form it can be either hand or both.

What is a crashing entry?

Why are they used for creating space?

(I'm not trying to be annoyingly picky, I just want to fully understand).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think two of the WTF BB forms have double moves. One has a "mountain block" where you make a pushing motion. The other is a double punch. One of the lower Palgwe's have a double punch from a back stance which I have never understood. I have a hard time picturing how to make much power with a double hand and foot strike. Possibly crossing right with left would make decent power. Maybe more as a distraction to set up your next move.