Simple Strategy

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best way to handle a

- boxer's punch is to wrap his punching arms.
- MT (or TKD) guy's kick is to catch his kicking leg.

What's your opinion on this "simple" strategy?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The best way to handle a

Simple is right. Nullifying an opponent's strength or advantage is basic fighting strategy. Immobilizing the opponent's weapons is a good choice. Avoid a takedown when battling a wrestler/JJ guy, get in close against an opponent with a longer reach or kicking skills, evade someone stronger, use circular moves against linear and visa versa, etc. are things most trained fighters know. Muy Thai is a challenge if you close in on his kicks as you've got elbows and knees to contend with. Catching and wrapping are useless, as are most defensive moves, unless you immediately use it to go on the attack. Also useful to buy a few seconds of time to regroup.

Actually, strategy is simple common sense, following a few basic rules. Putting it into effective action with tactics takes practice, skills, ability to read the opponent and a confident attitude.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Catching and wrapping are useless, as are most defensive moves, unless you immediately use it to go on the attack. Also useful to buy a few seconds of time to regroup.
Of course you can't just

- wrap your opponent's arms, or
- catch his kicking leg

and do nothing after that. You should take him down and end the striking game right at that moment.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best way to handle a

Easier to catch a leg than to wrap arms. And it is what they do to some extent. To some extent.

I would not say it is (always) the best way, otherwise Thai boxers would only do that.

D

Deleted member 39746

I think some people legitimately forget that you can grab the leg though. So they might get a little sloppy with the kicks, that and/or its easier to do on a beginner due to slow kicks. i think a round and side kick are so-so easy to stuff if you know what you are doing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think some people legitimately forget that you can grab the leg though. So they might get a little sloppy with the kicks, that and/or its easier to do on a beginner due to slow kicks. i think a round and side kick are so-so easy to stuff if you know what you are doing.
You started to train yet?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's like saying the best strategy to win a fight is to punch them in the face....it's easy to say it but a mistimed catch can put you in an even worse position. It's why I believe more in training to improve all your skills not focusing on a stratergy to beat an opponent because If that stratergy fails then you have no back up

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best way to handle a

I think you simplified conflict, whilst I agree most MA styles can predictable, I think your stratergy is based on school sparring, I do not wish to ridicule you, but combat or self defense is seldom as simple as if a does A ***' I will do B., this stratergy will leave you open and predictable.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the solution is correct, there should be a valid path to reach it. You may have to solve many problems along your path. But at least you don't have to repeat the same strategy such as

- you punch me, I block (or dodge).
- I punch you, you blocks (or dodges).

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best way to handle a

This is the basic strategy behind Hapkido. I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking your weapons. You grab me, I attack your wrist. You kick me, I attack your ankle.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me, the best way to handle a boxer's punch is to sweep his leg.
The best way to handle a kicker is jam him. Just get in the kitchen (inside, like metaphorically inside his shirt) and stay there.

The looks you get are so cool they should come with wrapping paper and and a festive, red bow. :)

Latest Discussions