Arm Wrap

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that in the first video, the arm bar isn't used to advantage, therefore the opponent isn't controlled. I don't see any real pressure placed on the elbow or shoulder, only a trap of the right arm...

Any who disagree, I would like to hear other opinions. It's how we all learn.

I think I see more arm control than you in the first clip. It looks to me like Bas is in a position to use as much forward pressure as necessary to turn his opponent and keep him from firing the right. He does torque his opponent enough to set up the palm strike. After that, it doesn't matter. He maintains control with pure aggression.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think in the first clip, like with any other video clip - we have more options to deal with a punch than the response shown.
I'm pretty sure Bas Rutten does too.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

In the above clip, when A uses left arm to over hook (wrap) B's right arm, B can extend his right arm under A's left shoulder to obtain an under hook.

If B also

- uses his right hand to press down on top of A's left shoulder,
- uses his left hand to press down on top of A's left shoulder (2 against 1),
- moves to A's left side, and
- springs A's left leg into a bow-arrow stance at the same time,

B can take A down.

This is the beauty of to "use over hook (or arm wrap) to counter under hook" and to "use under hook to counter over hook (or arm wrap)". Who will win depends on who has better grappling/leg skill.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arm wrapping is a bit slow in the scheme of things.

You are trying to beat the other guy retracting their arm out. And punching you with their other hand.

This means you have to know the shot is coming. Know it is wide enough and slow enough to catch. Then commit to catching it.

Then what you have is an overhook. And well hooray you have an overhook.

It is one of those ones that defensively would not be my first choice. For example I could do a duck under in the time it takes to overwrap. And would have the advantage of my head would be moving. So that other punch is less likely to connect. And if I did manage to pull it off I have their back.

And I probably would not even go for a duck under.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean a lot of these defences seem to be foiled by just punching properly.

So then we have to go into this wide street punch thing. And i am not dure why you would bother.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Arm wrapping is a bit slow in the scheme of things. You are trying to beat the other guy retracting their arm out. And punching you with their other hand.
This is why I like to use "zombie arms". You move in your

- left arm between your opponent's right arm and his head.
- right arm between your opponent's left arm and his head.

When your opponent punches at you, you move in too. This will need to take a lot of training in order to get courage. As long as you don't mind to handle body collision (body hit body, head hit head, shin bone hit shin bone, ...).

This strategy may not work every time since your opponent is a fast moving object. But if you can make it to work once before you get yourself knocked down/out, you don't have to box with your opponent for another 15 rounds. The grappling game will (or may) start after that.

Last edited: