Shouting "Where's Your Green Card" is racist now?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe what I read on CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/sport/ncaa-racism/index.html

Southern Miss issues apology for band's derogatory chant at NCAA tournament
By Lateef Mungin, CNN
updated 1:59 AM EDT, Fri March 16, 2012
(CNN) -- A university president apologized after members of a school's band yelled "where's your green card" at a Hispanic player during a NCAA basketball tournament game Thursday.
The incident was captured by television cameras and occurred during the Southern Miss and Kansas State game at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I just don't understand. Clearly, the band members, being probably mostly liberals, were concerned about the Earth, or 'green' issues. They shouted "Where's your green card" to the entire auditorium, meaning "Where is your love for our planet?" They clearly were not shouting it at the one Hispanic player who was shooting free throws while they shouted it. This is PC BS! What's the world coming to? I am outraged.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to ask my Spanish teacher that at least once a week in high school.
She thought i was funny. :)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh come on Bill. You know that the liberal university president just over reacted and that anyone thinking the phrase "Where's your green card?" is racist must be stupid.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As with all things in this area, perception and intent will together determine whether something is racist or not. I could call you a potato. If you perceive it as racist, and I meant it as racist, then it's racist.

There are some words that have become shorthand for racists and are almost universally intended in a derogatory manner, but even the use of these words may or may not indicate racism if they're used by people who are familiar enough and have enough trust with each other to understand both perception and intent.

So, bottom line, the answer is sure, it might be racist, if it's intended to be racist by the person saying it and is perceived so by the person hearing it.

And in this political climate, with the current views on illegal/undocumented workers, anyone not looking to employ an alien or working for DHS who asks, 'Where's your green card?' is probably giving a hispanic/latino person a hard time. And yeah, that's probably in the wheel house of what most would consider racism.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I would think that if were meant in a bad way...it would be a nationalist attack since a lack of a green card would mean the individual was not a citizen. It could also be a an attack on legal grounds since a lack of a green card would imply that the individual was in the country illegally. Also, a lack of a green card could imply that the player was playing for the college illegally and against the NCAA rules...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Commercial drivers carry a GREEN medical card in their wallet...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I would think that if were meant in a bad way...it would be a nationalist attack since a lack of a green card would mean the individual was not a citizen. It could also be a an attack on legal grounds since a lack of a green card would imply that the individual was in the country illegally. Also, a lack of a green card could imply that the player was playing for the college illegally and against the NCAA rules...
If you're only asking the question of people who are brown, then it's not nationalist. It's racist. Not all white dudes are American. We have as many illegal Russians in our area as we do illegal Mexicans. So... maybe... hypothetically. But in the real world, as I said, unless you're a potential employer verifying legal authorization to work in the USA or a DHS agent, if you ask that question, you're probably asking someone who is Hispanic/Latino and doing it to be a jerk. And yeah, I'd say that it's probably because you're a racist. Just my opinion.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, but it seems o be a new way to call somebody a 'spic' without saying the word.
How clever :rolleyes:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just think its funny these college kids are not smart enough to know the player was from Puerto Rico which makes him a US Citizen. If your going to insult someone at least get it right. Reminds me of the time someone spray painted "kill all the Juws" on the side of the synagoge. If your going to take the time to do it use a spell check first.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just think its funny these college kids are not smart enough to know the player was from Puerto Rico which makes him a US Citizen. If your going to insult someone at least get it right. Reminds me of the time someone spray painted "kill all the Juws" on the side of the synagoge. If your going to take the time to do it use a spell check first.

A lot of people don't know 'New Mexico' is a state....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shouting "Where's Your Green Card" is racist now.....

and being shown a Red card gets you expelled from the game

Red_card.svg

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people don't know 'New Mexico' is a state....

That's true. I actually had to explain - to adults - when I moved to NC that yes, NM is a state and not part of Mexico. Yes, seriously.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Green card? I'm from East LA!

[yt]LMfYNqJgO8Y[/yt]

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster