Should you respond?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know there will be any "losses through argument". Sometime ago I competed in a debating contest. The subject was "Is individual more important than the country, or is the country more important than the individual?" No matter how deep that I might get into that argue, there would be no winner and there would be no loser. The same will apply on MA discussion such as:

- Is striking superior than grappling, or is grappling superior than striking?
- Is TMA better than MMA, or is MMA better than TMA?
- Is "sport training" better than "SD training", or is "SD training" better than "sport training"?
- After you have thrown your opponent down, should you remain standing, or should you follow your opponent down to the ground?
- Should you train slow, or should you train fast?
- If you have solid MA foundation, can you learn from video?
- Which MA style is the best?
- Should you develop technique on both sides, or should you just develop your technique on one side only?

For example, if you like to develop technique on both sides and I like to develop technique on one side only, through the discussion (or argument), how can you make me a loser (or the other way around)?

IMO, all those discussions are just look at the same subject from different angles and there will be no right and wrong answer. So there won't be any "losses" through discussion (or argument).

Then what you are citing is the usual thread directions with grappling, striking etc. A,B,C and D go through the same stuff with the same old stuff. Arguing a point has to have a loser, except in this case the loser learns and updates their knowledge base. Not the same old grappling, striking and TMA content never evolves beyond starting threads with the same old! :)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then what you are citing is the usual thread directions with grappling, striking etc. A,B,C and D go through the same stuff with the same old stuff. Arguing a point has to have a loser, except in this case the loser learns and updates their knowledge base. Not the same old grappling, striking and TMA content never evolves beyond starting threads with the same old! :)
Assume that you like to train slow and I like to train fast. So how can you make me a loser out of our "slow training vs. fast training" argument? It's just like you like green color and I like blue color (I love ocean). No matter how hard that you and I may argue, you will still like your green color and I'll still like my blue color.

When you said that you like the green color, does that upset me? Of course not. When I said that I like the blue color, should that upset you? I don't think you should. Do I intend to change your opinion? Of course not. Do you intend to change my opinion? I'm not sure. :)

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but other than the use of "stupid" it sounds like a discussion to me, ...
Agree! Without the word "stupid", there will be no issue at all. If you have never use the word "stupid" on others, you may not like others to use that word on you. The moment that someone uses an impolite word such as "stupid", You just don't feel like to continue that discussion any more. That's just the human nature. There is always a line that you don't want to cross it.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assume that you like to train slow and I like to train fast. So how can you make me a loser out of our "slow training vs. fast training" argument? It's just like you like green color and I like blue color (I love ocean). No matter how hard that you and I may argue, you will still like your green color and I'll still like my blue color.

When you said that you like the green color, does that upset me? Of course not. When I said that I like the blue color, should that upset you? I don't think you should. Do I intend to change your opinion? Of course not. Do you intend to change my opinion? I'm not sure. :)

Do I intend to change your opinion of course not. Opinions are simply what they are, a construct of current knowledge and views. Does not mean that a good healthy and respectful argument could bring a new colour :)

Latest Discussions