Short-run Custom Patches?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know of a good source for short-run (fewer than 100) custom embroidered patches at a decent price? I've found good prices at minimums of 100 or more, and I've found short-run suppliers who can supply as few as 1 at a time but who charge up to 10x the price. I only have a few students at a time, so I only need a few patches.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy them in 100+ batches. I don't have to buy them all that often, but it's the cheapest way.
None of them have ever spoiled sitting on the shelf. Not yet. :)

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy them in 100+ batches. I don't have to buy them all that often, but it's the cheapest way.
None of them have ever spoiled sitting on the shelf. Not yet. :)
For me, it's mostly a matter of the expense of ordering that many. 3 patches (two chest patches plus the shoulder patch - the usual stuff in most NGA dojos) times 100 patches makes for a total of several hundred dollars, and probably 6 years worth of patches. Thus far, all of the money I've taken in has gone into equipment. That's unlikely to change in the near future unless I add several new students, which is likewise unlikely.

If I don't find a reasonable short-run producer, I'll probably skip the traditional chest patches (some symbolism within the art) and just do the shoulder patch. In a pinch, I can actually embroider the chest patches directly on the uniforms (I have a machine that can do that).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it's mostly a matter of the expense of ordering that many. 3 patches (two chest patches plus the shoulder patch - the usual stuff in most NGA dojos) times 100 patches makes for a total of several hundred dollars, and probably 6 years worth of patches. Thus far, all of the money I've taken in has gone into equipment. That's unlikely to change in the near future unless I add several new students, which is likewise unlikely.

If I don't find a reasonable short-run producer, I'll probably skip the traditional chest patches (some symbolism within the art) and just do the shoulder patch. In a pinch, I can actually embroider the chest patches directly on the uniforms (I have a machine that can do that).

Honestly, if it's that small a group, I'd probably forgo all the patches entirely.
We have one patch; a Moo Duk Kwan logo modified for our branch of the family tree.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if it's that small a group, I'd probably forgo all the patches entirely.
We have one patch; a Moo Duk Kwan logo modified for our branch of the family tree.
To this point, I have ,and will continue to if I don't find a decent alternative. I'm mainly trying to keep with the common usages in the art. Plus, the patches look awesome on a black dogi.:cool:

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
We used to have them professionally embroidered. At the students expense. we would get a few students together who wanted it done and send them out all at once. I think it looks way better than a patch that the students always get crooked putting them on.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to have them professionally embroidered. At the students expense. we would get a few students together who wanted it done and send them out all at once. I think it looks way better than a patch that the students always get crooked putting them on.
I'd considered that. Like I said, I can do the chest patches on my machine. I can't do the shoulder, so I may end up just ordering those and embroidering the chest decorations.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't the initial design most of the cost?
yes and no, its a matter of scanning it in to a computer, so in real terms it costs very little, the cost comes from the fact the equipment costs a great deal of money and you have to pay for that, once that unit cost has been met, running iut badges costs very little

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone out there know of a good source for short-run (fewer than 100) custom embroidered patches at a decent price? I've found good prices at minimums of 100 or more, and I've found short-run suppliers who can supply as few as 1 at a time but who charge up to 10x the price. I only have a few students at a time, so I only need a few patches.
CafeePress will let you make custom patches. They're not embroidered.

517_550x550_Front_Color-NA.jpg

Bartitsu Instructor Patch by Admin_CP3292700 - CafePress

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the initial design most of the cost?
Not if you can do the design yourself and produce the files they need (I had a graphic design business on the side back in the 90's, so still do most of my own stuff). And with many kinds of production, there's no longer the high initial set-up cost.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Dirty Dog beat me to it a little but are you needing an established patch(es) that you may be able to source through a retail outlet or another NGA school or outlet? I see a lot of Aikido patches online but do not know your specifics.
I have had good luck with a local sporting goods store that does a lot of embroidery for our schools teams. If you can find the image online in the right format (which I do not remember) they do not charge you a setup fee.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is your opportunity to sell more uniforms.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirty Dog beat me to it a little but are you needing an established patch(es) that you may be able to source through a retail outlet or another NGA school or outlet? I see a lot of Aikido patches online but do not know your specifics.
I have had good luck with a local sporting goods store that does a lot of embroidery for our schools teams. If you can find the image online in the right format (which I do not remember) they do not charge you a setup fee.
The OP was quite a while ago. I found a place that will print dye-sub patches for the shoulder, which gives me more flexibility than embroidery. I've not done anything about the chest patches.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is your opportunity to sell more uniforms.
I don't make any money on uniforms (and wouldn't make much, with so few students), but I don't really see how patches make an opportunity to sell uniforms.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't make any money on uniforms (and wouldn't make much, with so few students), but I don't really see how patches make an opportunity to sell uniforms.
I suppose if the patches were already on the uniforms. I could see some justifiable upcharge there.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose if the patches were already on the uniforms. I could see some justifiable upcharge there.
All of my students already (by choice, not by requirement) buy their uniforms from me. I charge just enough to cover my cost on the uniform and patch. I mean, if we took my best year, I'd be selling about 10 uniforms a year (the most new students I added in a single year).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All of my students already (by choice, not by requirement) buy their uniforms from me. I charge just enough to cover my cost on the uniform and patch. I mean, if we took my best year, I'd be selling about 10 uniforms a year (the most new students I added in a single year).
Just a thought; can you get the patches through NGA?

Latest Discussions