Shorinji Kempo???

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok... brief explanation:

"smurf words" are words that are used when the person is either lacking another appropriate word, or just is using the wrong word... Taken from the 80s cartoon "the smurfs"

common smurf lingo:

"You look very smurfy today"
"We'll have a smurfing good time."
"Lets go smurf some food."
"Papa Smurf! Hefty's smurfing at me!"

you get the picture?

Gou's point was that people use "oss" like the smurfs "smurf." They use it at the wrong time to the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Instead of saying "Yes, Sir!", "I understand, Ma'am" or "thank you!" many martial artists will say "Oss!" instead, figuring it gets their point across.

Another example is how many people use the f-word. Most people use this word when other adjectives fail them. The word comes out of my brother's mouth quite often. I really don't care if other people curse around me, but I decided to mess with him and started whistling the smurf theme song whenever he cussed. Finally, he asked me "What the f- is that all about?!" I explained, we had a good laugh, and now, every so often when he wants to make me grin, he substitutes the word "smurf" for his usual colorful metaphor of choice. Last amusing thing I heard from him was "Smurf those mother-smurfers!" when my family was watching the news. He and I busted up laughing, and my parents just looked confused (which made it all the more amusing).

K

Kimpatsu

Ah, for those who cannot find le mot juste.
At least in Shorinji Kempo, we don't say "oss"...

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
But it's not. C'mon: admit it: until I told you otherwise, you thought that "kempoka" was a Japanese word, didn't you? As with "gi" and "jujitsu". But they are not; they are just plain wrong. See the difference?

Instead of
, I think it should be American. It's like the word COLOUR , there is a 'U' in it, but the American way of spelling just leaves it out.

--Dave

:asian:

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by D.Cobb
Instead of , I think it should be American. It's like the word COLOUR , there is a 'U' in it, but the American way of spelling just leaves it out.
That's because Americans are selfish, and there's no room for "U" in their language... :D

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
... in Japanese culture, although tolerated more in America, it is still not "acceptable" by all. Rich, I find you extremely tolerant of an ethnocentric attitude where "correction" is being offered so rudely.

I think your perceptions and the people you work with are much more the norm, and my experience also. Your post clearly shows your awareness of the niceties of communication, and polite manners.

Somehow I found my hackles rising at the correction offered by you Kimpatsu. It is not what you said, nor am I questioning your knowledge or experience, rather I am somewhat uncomfortabe with how you chose to express yourself in this medium. Given your profession I know you have the fund of knowledge and resources to communicate clearly ... that is not the issue. Rather there is a superior and somewhat condesending attitude communicated in your writing. Is this intentional? I assume and hope not. I am not even comfortable relating this to you on this medium. I do appreciate your extensive knowledge of Shorinji-Kempo, which is a part of my history, but not my primary system of Martial Arts. I say this to let you know that it is not what you are saying that is somewhat offensive, but how you are saying it.

Lighten up a little unless you just like the conflict and that is part of the secondary gain for your posting. Then again, others may not take offense.

I will back off and just be a reader learning more about a piece of my own Art's history.

I also want to know about Nightingale's question about gi?

Sir, I don't think Mr. Kehoe is being rude per se. I think it may be part of the way things are done in his part of the world. I seem to remember a lot of people had this same kind of discussion with Robert Rousselot(RyuShiKan) when he was on this board. He is also in Japan. As such I think if most of us were to allow our egos to move aside for a bit, then we might manage to get the gist of what Kimpatsu is trying to say.
Yes his terminology and phrasing appear to be abrupt and even blunt compared to how we might say or phrase things, but you have to admit he has a point. If someone was asking you about the intricacies(I'm sure that is spelt wrong) of American Kenpo, you would have to explain using AK terminology, that can be quite foreign to karateka and kenshi:) from other styles.
Sometimes I think that, no matter how tight they are, you have stand in someone elses shoes for a while.:D

--Dave

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is part of what I posted elsewhere. I think it compliments Mr. Cobbs post a bit. Some differences are not tolerated here (racist/bigoted for examples). Others we need to allow for, on all sides.

===

Kimpatsu is a traditional student of the Japanese arts. Both KenpoTess and nightingale8472 are students of an American art. The Japanese arts have a reputation of being stricter, and more conservative, whereas the American arts are more relaxed and laid back. Its a culture class. (As an example, in some Asian arts being hit with a stick by the instructor to aid your focus is common. In the US, at the least a lawsuit would arise. Both are right for where they are.)

I recomend everyone take a deep breath and relax.

===

K

Kimpatsu

I know Robert Rousselot very well. (Big guy!)
The point about Shorinji Kempo is that these rules apply to all branches in every country where the art is taught and practiced, not just in Japan. Our code is universal to all branches, including those in America. So, you see, Kaith, American Kenshi don't file lawsuits against their masters, either.

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ah, for those who cannot find le mot juste.
At least in Shorinji Kempo, we don't say "oss"...

I get the impression that Japanese martial artists don't use that term, in the dojo at all.

--Dave

K

Kimpatsu

I get the impression that Japanese martial artists don't use that term, in the dojo at all.
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I know we don't use it in Shorinji Kempo.
In Japan, salarymen say it to each other a lot.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich, if this is American slang, how come it's itallicised in text? It's viewed as Japanese, so it is WRONG, plain and simple.
You want to talk about Shorinji Kempo? Fine: first learn the correct terminology.
Then ask your questions.

Sometimes and I repeat Sometimes Slang is written in Italics to show it is slang.

I see by this and other posts you understand the proper way to write a book.

K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
I see by this and other posts you understand the proper way to write a book.
Already written one.
The Orthography Commandos strike again!
:armed:

OP
D.Cobb

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
That's because Americans are selfish, and there's no room for "U" in their language... :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There, I knew you had sense of humour!
I love it!!:D

--Dave
:rofl:

K

Kimpatsu

There, I knew you had sense of humour!
I love it!!:D

--Dave
:rofl:
Someday, Dave, I'll also tell you why all Americans are Communists... ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The posts from the Shorinji Kempo forum have been merged into the JMA-General forum.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
OK, I've got the Japanese lesson now. Thank you. I am not offended by Kimpatsu's correction of the (somewhat) common American misuse of "ka" and several other Japanese-isms. Enough of this language discussion already.

Can we talk about Shorinji Kempo? How did Shorinji Kempo evolve to include so many Jujitsu techniques? The art seems a good blend of Shaolin style striking and Jujitsu joint locks and throws. Can anyone shed some light on this.
I was just reading through some of the old posts, and noticed that your question was never answered. With respect to the origin of our Juho I don’t really know if they are from Jujutsu or not. Certainly Doshin So had studied Jujutsu under his uncle when he was younger, and apparently studied Hakko Ryu for a couple of years on his return to Japan. I find it difficult to believe that all the Juho came from these experiences, as the technical knowledge is so vast. What we should remember is the China also have these types of techniques, in fact many believe that Jujutsu cam from China initially. So the reality is probably that they came from both China and Japan. When Kaiso formed Shorinji Kempo he systemised all his knowledge of the different forms of budo that he studied, and formatted it into one cohesive art.